Skittler
2007-10-26, 01:26
Windows XP Pro SP2
Athlon 64 3500+ (2.2GHz)
1GB RAM
SlimServer Version: 6.5.4 - 12468 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt
1206 albums with 17402 songs by 575 artists.

Right then, now we've got all that out of the way, the question:

Slimserver.exe is using just over 500MB of memory. I've tried rebooting, restarting the service, etc. but it's the same result.
1. Is this normal?
2. Should I be concerned?
3. Anything I should do about it?

mherger
2007-10-26, 02:12
> 1. Is this normal?

No.

> 2. Should I be concerned?

Not sure.

> 3. Anything I should do about it?

Are you using any 3rd party plugins? If yes - remove them all, try again.

Michael

Skittler
2007-10-26, 04:08
Yes, several 3rd party plugins.
I will try unchecking them all, restarting, and seeing if any particular one introduces the problem.

Is unchecking them enough? Presumably I don't need to physically remove the installed files for those plugins?

I'm guessing that none of Erland's plugins have a problem or someone else would have had it by now.

I'll report back sometime tomorrow - I have to take the wrinklies out for dinner tonight so I'll be a bit busy :)

mherger
2007-10-26, 05:26
> Is unchecking them enough? Presumably I don't need to physically remove
> the installed files for those plugins?

Better remove them completely (just move them outside the Plugins folder and restart SlimServer).

Michael

Skittler
2007-10-27, 01:55
OK, here's what happened:

Slim.exe running at about 95MB
Add Inguz: No significant change
Add Trackstat: 108MB
Add CustomBrowse: 540MB Whoa! There we go then.

Anybody know what's going on here?

erland
2007-10-27, 02:25
OK, here's what happened:

Slim.exe running at about 95MB
Add Inguz: No significant change
Add Trackstat: 108MB
Add CustomBrowse: 540MB Whoa! There we go then.

Anybody know what's going on here?

My opinion is that as long as the memory is used for something good there is no harm. ;-)

Do you know if you have had this problem the whole time you've had TrackStat and CustomBrowse installed, or have you changed anything in your configuration or installed any new versions that caused this ?

I've never measured the memory usage with TrackStat and CustomBrowse, but I've always been a bit scared that Custom Browse could cause memory problems because there is a lot of XML files read and parsed and kept in memory. But people are using them on NAS boxes, so there might still be something with your configuration that is causing this.

How does the Custom Browse configuration in Server Settings/Plugins look like ?

There is a number of directory parameters in the top of the Custom Browse section in "Server Settings/Plugins", does the directories these points to contain a lot of files that doesn't seem to be related to Custom Browse ?

Philip Meyer
2007-10-27, 02:39
I just checked the memory usage of my SC7.0 setup, with quite a few plugins installed (inc CustomBrowse). Perl.exe comes to 126MB.