PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox and external speakers?

duke2555
2007-10-25, 08:32
Hi,

I am looking to setup the squeezebaox 3 in my wife's home office on a budget. I thought of hooking up a pair of powered speakers directly into the sq3...

can it be done?
recommended speakers(on a budget)?
better option?

Thanks

P.S. - speakers or components available in Canada.

mflint
2007-10-25, 08:43
It'd be useful to know what "budget" means!

Me, I use a pair of AudioEngine A5 (http://www.audioengineusa.com/store/)s in the kitchen - and very happy I am too.

I just noticed that AudioEngine now have a smaller version - A2 - for USD 199.

Matthew

aubuti
2007-10-25, 08:46
It can absolutely be done, for any budget in the range of $10 (US or Canadian, it doesn't matter these days...) to as high as you want to go. If you really don't want to spend much money, get a pair of cheapo "computer speakers". I have a pair of Klipsch ProMedia 2.0 powered speakers that I got off eBay for $25 plus shipping. I used to use them in the kitchen, now I use them in the bedroom, and have another pair that I cart outside for cookouts/happy hour on the deck. If you have room for a subwoofer you should look at the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1. If you have more money to spend, you can get much better speakers for $200 (Aego Ms) or $300 (AudioEngine 5s). And I hear the $1600 Paradigm active speakers are mahvelous!

One tip is do *not* use the headphone output of the SB to connect the powered speakers. Use the red/white RCA jacks instead. If the speakers don't have RCA jacks you can get a Y-adapter that will run from the SB's RCA output to the mini-plug input on the speakers.

iPhone
2007-10-25, 09:01
It can be easily done. and you have almost endless options. What is your budget? How much sound and fidelity to you want?

It can be as simple and cheap as one Squeezebox 3 and a pair of desktop powered computer speakers plugged into the SB headphone jack. Logitech has speakers as low as $13 and up to $199.

Or one could spring for higher quality with a pair of Audio Engine speakers or Acoustic Energy Aegis speakers in the $149 to $700 and up range.

Lastly one can buy a small Class D or Class T amp, pair of RCA interconnects, and drive whatever small to Monitor size speaker one likes to listen to or feels like paying for. The amp can be as inexpensive as $39 from Sonic Impact (if you can still find the small one, their new models are $79 and $159) or several hundred dollars from Flying Mole and others. Audio Source has some nice amps for this type of project.

Hope that helps.

duke2555
2007-10-25, 09:24
Thanks for the fast replies...

A local CDN retailer is asking $299 for the SB3 (good price??), I wouldn't want to spend much more than another $200 for external spkrs to make the total pkg around $500 CDN.

Thought of ebay for spkrs...

any other suggestions would be great.

Empgamer
2007-10-25, 09:33
I can highly recommend Accoustic Eneregy Aego Ms.

duke2555
2007-10-25, 09:48
I have heard several members comment on these spkrs, but I don't see a retailer for Canada let alone Ontario.

any sites where I could find a used pair???

Thanks

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-25, 10:28
A local CDN retailer is asking $299 for the SB3 (good price??)

Seeing that it's the same price on the website, yes.

BTW I would avoid computer speakers. I have tried more than a few, even some expensive ones, none have impressed me. I'd buy powered speakers from a "real" speaker manufacturer.

Apparently a notable exception are Swans, and they have a Canadian distributor.

duke2555
2007-10-25, 12:25
would Logitech Z2300's be a decent choice?

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-25, 12:28
As I said, I was unimpressed by computer speakers of any sort. I went up to Logitech Z560 (almost $300 at the time) before I decided to stop buying computer speakers.

But I don't have your ears or preferences. It's just my opinion.

Linzer
2007-10-27, 11:58
Hi,

I am looking to setup the squeezebaox 3 in my wife's home office on a budget. I thought of hooking up a pair of powered speakers directly into the sq3...

can it be done?
better option?

Thanks

There has been a lot of discussion in the past about powered or active speaker options. Check out http://www.google.com/search?aq=t&oq=&hl=en&xfq&q=powered+speakers+site%3Aforums.slimdevices.com&btnG=Search and http://www.google.com/search?aq=t&oq=&hl=en&xfq&q=active+speakers+site%3Aforums.slimdevices.com&btnG=Search for what others have suggested.

honestguv
2007-10-27, 12:26
Hi,

can it be done?
better option?

Thanks

If it is for listening to music then I would strongly recommend not buying computer speakers. These are fine for games and movie explosions but are poor value for money when it comes to music. The best sound quality for a given amount of money is generally to be found in a music shop, not a department store and not a hi-fi shop.

Active monitors (powered speakers) are usually a good idea because they avoid paying for amplifier cases, knobs, plugs, etc... and the amplifier is matched to the speaker drive units. $200 will give you a choice of a number of reasonable active monitors although they may be butt ugly. Rather than recommend a brand I will recommend you go to a music shop and have a listen to confirm this is what you want.

iPhone
2007-10-27, 12:29
Hey Duke,

You can get a new SB off of EBAY for about $280 and save $20. You can get a used one in like new shape for around $225 off EBAY. That takes care of the Squeezebox part.

Now for the last $225 to $275 of the budget. Again EBAY is a source of new and used powered speakers so I would at least see what is available. My other thought would be to get a small Class D or T amplifier and a pair of speakers. This would really open up the choices in the speaker department. Also if you are going to be doing any upgrading later you can chose speakers that can serve another purpose later. Don't get me wrong, good powered speakers work great, but in my experience they tend to end up being used for just that one purpose. Not that that is at all bad if you have several places to keep moving and using the speaker to. I got tired of moving and plugging and unplugging them all the time so I have placed a permanent solution in all the places I used to move my powered speakers around (got tired of moving the SB also so I have multiple SBs now). The powered speakers are currently in the garage and that is the only location I move a SB back and forth anymore (kitchen to garage).

Just some thoughts from personal experiences.