PDA

View Full Version : Help a newbie out :)

swredman
2007-10-24, 15:25
Guys,

I was wondering if one of you kind gents could lend a hand. I just built a new PC and have been running Linux (Ubuntu 7.10) for a total of one day. To say that I am new to this OS would be an understatement.

I am having problems getting SlimServer to recognize my music files. I have Slimserver installed, and figured out how to start it when I boot the system. I can turn on the Squeezebox, it grabs an IP address, etc. I can play streaming internet radio, so it is all working in that respect.

Right now, my entire collection of music is in .mp3 format, and I am going to re-rip my entire library in FLAC instead (going for great sound quality here).

I started by ripping a single CD using rhythmbox in FLAC format. In the server settings in Slimserver, I am not sure what to put in for the music folder path information. I tried putting in:

/home/scott/Music

and that doesn't seem to work. When I tell slimserver to rescan the library, it comes back with 0 artists, 0 songs.

I'm sure that there must be something really dumb that I'm doing here.

Thanks for any help you can give,

Scott

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-24, 15:39
Sounds like a permissions issue. Fix it using this:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=237360&postcount=7

then

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=237132&postcount=3

So in summary, copy and paste this at the command prompt:

sudo chown -R scott:scott /home/scott/Music

Then:

cd /home/scott/Music

Then:

find . -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
find . -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;

Background: it didn't work because the SlimServer scanner was running as user "slimserver" and user "slimserver" may not have had permission to view the files. What this does is it transfers ownership of the directory and files to you, then it allows all others read-only access. This means SlimServer won't be able to accidentally overwrite or delete files (if it ever developed that capability, that is) and no one else will be able to either, except you.