PDA

View Full Version : Update album tags via MusicIP?

eater
2007-10-24, 14:21
My slimserver takes all its library information from MusicMagic. If I've already fingerprinted and imported a file, and then I manually change its Artist information in the tag, how can I get slimserver to recognize the change? Rescanning and refreshing does not seem to do the job.

Siduhe
2007-10-25, 01:27
What kind of rescan are you doing? It will need to be a "full clear and rescan" not just an "new and changed music" scan.

If you are doing a full clear and rescan, then it's possible the MIP cache Slimserver is accessing isn't entirely up to date. How are you running MIP (headless, or through the application interface)?

eater
2007-10-25, 06:55
Yes, I'm doing a full clear and rescan. I'm running MusicIP headless, and I've tried both the Refresh Songs button on the web interface as well as re-Adding my library. It says 0 tracks left to validate. I've also tried rescanning the library with genpuid. None of that seems to have any effect. Mp3info reports that the tags say one thing, and slimserver reports something else.

Dougal
2007-10-25, 08:21
I've had similar issues with MIP and I have just gone and deleted the .m3lib files and restart MIP it will rebuild db. This is not so bad as long as the fingerprint is saved in the metadata.

The other thing about MIP on my cc box is that I have to strip all accented characters from the file names or else MIP will not produce a mix.

Doug.

Siduhe
2007-10-25, 08:47
Yes, I'm doing a full clear and rescan. I'm running MusicIP headless, and I've tried both the Refresh Songs button on the web interface as well as re-Adding my library. It says 0 tracks left to validate.

If you are running headless, you should see an option to "reload cache" if you have changed a tag. Try opening up the GUI (MusicIP interface) and navigating to the offending file, click edit tags (don't actually edit anything) then save, then close the GUI. When you go back to the headless webpage, do you see something like "cache has been modified, do you want to reload cache?".

Click reload cache and then do a full clear and rescan.

Does that fix it?

eater
2007-10-25, 09:00
Siduhe- The only GUI I have is the web interface, since MusicIP is running on a headless server. I don't see any option to reload the cache.

Dougal- Thanks, I'll try that as a last resort, but it seems like a bit of a hassle to go through every time I edit a tag. Interesting about accented characters -- I just tried that out and I can't mix those songs either.

Dougal
2007-10-25, 09:25
Siduhe- The only GUI I have is the web interface, since MusicIP is running on a headless server. I don't see any option to reload the cache.

Dougal- Thanks, I'll try that as a last resort, but it seems like a bit of a hassle to go through every time I edit a tag. Interesting about accented characters -- I just tried that out and I can't mix those songs either.

You only strip accents from file names, the accents in tags are ok and will display fine.

Doug.

Siduhe
2007-10-25, 10:17

Even if MIP is running headless, you still should be able to open up the application interface. I have exactly the same set up on a windows box, and I can just Start/PRograms/MusicIP which brings up the application interface - this also uses the default.mlib so you should be able to make changes which will then be reflected in the headless version. I do this all the time when I'm updating tags, but there may be something different about your setup I'm not aware of.

From experience, I would say it's important not to start any action in the application interface and the web interface at the same time.

Edited to say, even if you can't open up the application interface, what happens if you tell the headless server to Add Music and point it to the path of the folder which has the files where the tags have changed? This should either give you two copies of the offending file (one with the right tag and one with the wrong one) or will update the tags. Never tried it myself, but if you really can't get the application interface open, it may be worth a try.

eater
2007-10-25, 10:28
How can I get the application interface open? I have two binaries, MusicMagicServer and MusicMagicMixer. The former runs headless on port 10002; when I execute the latter it dies immediately with no error.

When I enter my library directory in the web interface and click Add Music, it says "Adding tracks..." for a minute or so, then returns to "Songs to validate 0". It does not update the m3lib file.

Siduhe
2007-10-25, 10:34
How can I get the application interface open? I have two binaries, MusicMagicServer and MusicMagicMixer. The former runs headless on port 10002; when I execute the latter it dies immediately with no error.

When I enter my library directory in the web interface and click Add Music, it says "Adding tracks..." for a minute or so, then returns to "Songs to validate 0". It does not update the m3lib file.

What about if you stop the headless service - I'm guessing you are on a flavour of Linux so - "MusicMagicServer stop"? Then can you start MusicMagicMixer?

In my limited experience, the MIP implementation on Linux isn't as well documented or as robust as the Windows implementation. For example, I can follow the instructions here (http://www.musicip.com/mixer/server.jsp) for a Windows box without the problems you are experiencing.

eater
2007-10-25, 11:34
Okay, I've found a laborious workflow that seems to work.

1. Change tags on files.
2. Run genpuid on my library with the -m3lib option.
3. Stop and restart MusicMagicServer.
4. Go to the web interface and click Reload Cache. (if it's not there, repeat from step 1).
5. Tell Slimserver to do a full rescan.

I do wish there were a less cumbersome way to edit a tag and have it reflected on my player.