PDA

View Full Version : Can we choose a better name than "My Music"?

2eleven
2007-10-24, 12:00
I know there are bigger fish to fry, but this seems too easy to fix. "My Music" just reeks of the Windows 95 legacy (which even Microsoft has finally moved away from for Vista). I would suggest something like "Music Library" instead.

Nit-pickingly,

John

sdonham
2007-10-24, 12:05
I know there are bigger fish to fry, but this seems too easy to fix. "My Music" just reeks of the Windows 95 legacy (which even Microsoft has finally moved away from for Vista). I would suggest something like "Music Library" instead.

Nit-pickingly,

John

Agreed. I know this is not a critical issue, but for some reason "My Music" bugs me as well. "Music Library" is simply more clear to me as it indicates music that is stored locally versus streaming internet music.

bklaas
2007-10-24, 12:12
If I could get leading lower-case i's and e's off of iTechnology and eEverything, I would. Yet, I find both of these less annoying than the "My" business.

But, you will be pleased to know this is easily solved!

Create a file in your base SC directory called custom-strings.txt. Put in custom strings to your liking. Restart SqueezeCenter. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

BROWSE_MUSIC and MY_MUSIC are the two strings you want to change from what is contained in strings.txt. If you have a string in custom-strings.txt, SC will use that over anything in strings.txt.

here's my custom-strings.txt, which replaces 'My Music' on both Web UI and Jive HW:

BROWSE_MUSIC
EN The Tunevault

MY_MUSIC
EN The Tunevault

cheers,
#!/ben

JJZolx
2007-10-24, 12:14
I agree as well. Same goes for some of the things being done ing the new Default skin. There seems to be focused effort to dumb down the interface in the name of user friendliness.

2eleven
2007-10-24, 12:35
But, you will be pleased to know this is easily solved!

Thanks Ben. That pleases ~me~ because ~I~ don't mind customizing things. My motivation for changing the default, however, is not so much for me, but for the thousands of first impressions this product will make when it is released. Is there any reason we would not want to change the default to "Music Library"?

John

bklaas
2007-10-24, 12:47
I'm not in product marketing, nor do I want to be, but I believe the rationale is that there is a logical separation between local music: "My Music", and internet radio, music on demand, RSS feeds, whatever: "Not My Music".

cheers,
#!/ben

2eleven
2007-10-24, 12:49
I'm not in product marketing, nor do I want to be, but I believe the rationale is that there is a logical separation between local music: "My Music", and internet radio, music on demand, RSS feeds, whatever: "Not My Music".

cheers,
#!/ben

Tragic, but it makes sense.

John

SuperQ
2007-10-24, 13:05
I wonder how much stuff in "My Music" is really "Not My Music" anyway ;-)

mherger
2007-10-24, 14:37
> I agree as well. Same goes for some of the things being done ing the
> new Default skin. There seems to be focused effort to dumb down the
> interface in the name of user friendliness.

I doubt changing an expression or two is dumbing down anything. If you're
lacking functionality which was available in other skins, feel free to
open a bug report.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

gharris999
2007-10-24, 19:16
Create a file in your base SC directory called custom-strings.txt

Base, as in /usr/local/slimserver, or as in /usr/local/slimserver/server, where the default strings.txt is?

I've tried both locations, and set the appropriate permissions on the custom-strings.txt file, restarted the server and have yet to see any difference. It's "My Music" still on the Jive and on the default skin.

bklaas
2007-10-24, 20:23
Base, as in /usr/local/slimserver, or as in /usr/local/slimserver/server, where the default strings.txt is?

I've tried both locations, and set the appropriate permissions on the custom-strings.txt file, restarted the server and have yet to see any difference. It's "My Music" still on the Jive and on the default skin.

Put custom-strings.txt in the same folder as SC's strings.txt. Make sure you reboot your Jive as well as SC. Hope that helps.

#!/ben

gharris999
2007-10-25, 08:03
Put custom-strings.txt in the same folder as SC's strings.txt. Make sure you reboot your Jive as well as SC. Hope that helps.#!/ben

Sorry to be such a helpless noob, but HOW does one reboot a Jive besides tearing out one's fingernails prying off the back and removing & replacing the battery?

Also... shouldn't the various web skins reflect strings in custom-strings.txt too, or is this a Jive only thing?

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-25, 08:09
Sorry to be such a helpless noob, but HOW does one reboot a Jive besides tearing out one's fingernails prying off the back and removing & replacing the battery?

Press and hold the home button for about 20 seconds until the unit turns off. Then press it again to reactivate.

bklaas
2007-10-25, 08:11
Also... shouldn't the various web skins reflect strings in custom-strings.txt too, or is this a Jive only thing?

Yes, they use custom-strings.txt. What is it you are seeing that doesn't look right?

gharris999
2007-10-25, 12:18
Here are the contents of my /usr/local/slimserver_trunk/server/custom-strings.txt:

BROWSE_MUSIC
EN Music Library

MY_MUSIC
EN Music Library
The permissions on the file are owner:slimserver, group:slimserver, octal 0644.

Neither the new default skin, nor the classic skin nor the Jive are saying "Music Library". It's "My Music" everywhere. And yes, that's after a server restart. I suspect I'm missing something obvious. "custom" is spelled c u s t o m, yes? "strings" is spelled s t r i n g s, yes? And it should be a hyphen: "-" between the two, yes? So, what else could I have screwed up?

I'm running svn 14095 on Fedora 7.

bklaas
2007-10-25, 12:24
all the file stuff looks right. let's make sure the format of the file is correct. You need tabs in this file, and I can't tell from reading your forum post if that's the case. It should go like this:

BROWSE_MUSIC
(tab)EN(tab)Music Library

MY_MUSIC
(tab)EN(tab)Music Library

is that how you have it?

cheers,
#!/ben

kdf
2007-10-25, 13:25
don't forget unix-style line endings as well.
-kdf

gharris999
2007-10-25, 14:18
Had the unix line endings...didn't have the tabs. All is well now. Thanks.

JimC
2007-10-25, 14:23
I agree as well. Same goes for some of the things being done ing the new Default skin. There seems to be focused effort to dumb down the interface in the name of user friendliness.

You call it "dumbed down" when it is generally called "accessibility." You are correct that we are targeting a broader customer base, which will naturally lower the technical skill set and tolerance for having too many things to deal with at once.

What we aren't doing is removing the open development architecture, the ability to customise YOUR experience, taking away plug-ins, etc. All of these things are BAD, from a customer support perspective, because they allow someone to tweak themselves into a corner that is hard to get out of without some level of technical savvy. We're still keeping them because eventually they will be useful to everyone as we continue to improve and refine all aspects of the user interface and user experience.

I'm really sorry you're so down on what we do. Logitech didn't run over your cat or insult your mother, so why are you ALWAYS so down on what we're doing? I'd really like to understand it -- honest -- because there's possibly something important I can learn from the issues you have. Would you be willing to share the fundamental issues you have with Logitech's handling of Slim with me?

-=> Jim

notanatheist
2007-10-26, 00:01
I am personally quite thankful this 'fix' is available. If/when I switch to SC7 that will be the first thing I change. I find it insulting to have "My Music". That is so Windows. FWIW, my short time with SC7 was less than pleasant. The only thing I like was the live timeline for track playback. The whole interface was too damned pretty and the "open a new window" for adjusting settings was an extra dose of stupidity. There is power in simplicity. I'd hate to see Logitech's influence gum it all up.

/rant

mherger
2007-10-26, 00:19
> track playback. The whole interface was too damned pretty and the "open
> a new window" for adjusting settings was an extra dose of stupidity.
> There is power in simplicity. I'd hate to see Logitech's influence gum
> it all up.

http://yourserver:9000/Classic - no reason being depressed

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

2eleven
2007-10-26, 09:08
I find it insulting to have "My Music". That is so Windows.

It's actually "so Windows 95 -> XP". Microsoft has dropped it in Vista (thankfully).

FWIW, my short time with SC7 was less than pleasant. The only thing I like was the live timeline for track playback. The whole interface was too damned pretty and the "open a new window" for adjusting settings was an extra dose of stupidity.

I don't mind the new interface (I actually kinda like it). As long as it doesn't become harder for me to do what I want to do, pretty doesn't bother me. (Opening a new window for settings does bother me - I'm with you on that one.) I like the album art and progress bar, and I find the highlighting of lines makes it easier to select the right add/play button.

Cheers,

John

dean
2007-10-26, 10:25
On Oct 26, 2007, at 9:08 AM, 2eleven wrote:

>
> notanatheist;238068 Wrote:
>> I find it insulting to have "My Music". That is so Windows.
>
> It's actually "so Windows 95 -> XP". Microsoft has dropped it in Vista
> (thankfully).
The basic motivation for this was to distinguish the music that you
bought/ripped/downloaded to your computer from music (streaming/
services) obtained from the internet. What does Vista use now?

2eleven
2007-10-26, 10:45
On Oct 26, 2007, at 9:08 AM, 2eleven wrote:

>
> notanatheist;238068 Wrote:
>> I find it insulting to have "My Music". That is so Windows.
>
> It's actually "so Windows 95 -> XP". Microsoft has dropped it in Vista
> (thankfully).
The basic motivation for this was to distinguish the music that you
bought/ripped/downloaded to your computer from music (streaming/
services) obtained from the internet.

Yeah I understand the "My Music" vs "Not My Music" thing. I bet there's a clear way to distinguish the two without having to resort to "My ...". Maybe we could use "Music Library" and "Music Services" to distinguish the two. I think we might be thinking too hard about this one though. :-)

What does Vista use now?
I don't personally own Vista yet, but my understanding is that they have simply dropped the "My", so "My Computer" is now "Computer", for example.

John

JimC
2007-10-26, 11:27
Yeah I understand the "My Music" vs "Not My Music" thing. I bet there's a clear way to distinguish the two without having to resort to "My ...". Maybe we could use "Music Library" and "Music Services" to distinguish the two. I think we might be thinking too hard about this one though. :-)

I don't believe we're thinking too hard about this at all. We're trying to make the interface more accessible. Given that the vast percentage of *personal* computers in use today run Windows XP, there's a certain logic to using equivalent terminology. It isn't reall relevant to me whether or not *I* like the words, the intent is to provide something that is *obvious* to the majority of customers when they are first exposed to the menu item.

Obviously, over time, you can adjust to have them use (borrowing BKlaas's term) "Tunevault" instead of My Music. When the new user is just learning the interface, that latter is far more obvious than the former -- at least for all users != BKlaas.

All of that said, we're open to input from everyone regarding what makes the most sense, within the scope of our goals.

-=> Jim

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-27, 11:30
Personally I think the SC7 interface is very advanced and polished-looking. It looks very professional.

And yes, everything is still there. I love some of the new enhancements, like the scanner progress bars. These have been there for a while, but they still impress me every time.

There's also the little green or red flashed-in highlights when a line is changed in the Settings pages. That's very cool, I've never seen software do that before and it is very intuitive what's going on - green means the field is accepted, red means it isn't.

2eleven
2007-11-24, 19:05
Yeah I understand the "My Music" vs "Not My Music" thing. I bet there's a clear way to distinguish the two without having to resort to "My ...". Maybe we could use "Music Library" and "Music Services" to distinguish the two.
John

Hooray! I just poured a beer in celebration of the recent renaming. Thanks Dean - I like an excuse for a tasty beer. :-)

John

ModelCitizen
2007-11-25, 06:44
I'm using last night's Windows executable and my browser and remote still refer to My Music (and also Music Services). In addition I do not have a coloured progress bar (that I can find), although I used to, nor do I have red and green lights for settings updates and even worse the nice blue background my 7 web interface used to have is now plain white and looks sort of unfinished/unformatted......

I've cleared my cache, changed the interface and then changed it back again.... and now I've even reinstalled from scratch.

Something must be wrong... but what?

My remote indicates r1001 from last night.

NB: Even though I uninstalled via add/remove programs, rebooted and deleted my Program Files/SlimServer directory my new SlimServer installation knew where my music files directory was. Does SlimServer write to the registry now? If so, shouldn't an uninstall clean the settings out of the registry?

MC

mherger
2007-11-25, 11:07
> I've cleared my cache, changed the interface and then changed it back
> again.

Did you try removing SC7's Cache folder as well?

Michael

ModelCitizen
2007-11-25, 11:13
Is it not under Program Files/Slimserver anymore then? If not where?
Sorry, I'm just getting up to speed with 7.

MC

Craig
2007-11-25, 11:20
Try
C:\Documents and settings\all users\application data\squeezecentre\cache pheww!!

Craig

mherger
2007-11-25, 11:26
> Is it not under Program Files/Slimserver anymore then? If not where?

It's been called SqueezeCenter for quite a few weeks now :-)

Michael

ModelCitizen
2007-11-25, 11:46
It's been called SqueezeCenter for quite a few weeks now :-)
Has anyone raised a bug for the spelling mistake yet?

MC

2eleven
2007-11-26, 13:55
and even worse the nice blue background my 7 web interface used to have is now plain white and looks sort of unfinished/unformatted......

Are you maybe just seeing the "new" new skin?

If so, I share the sentiment. I liked the blue one ~much~ better. There's a very long thread related to this change, but I haven't had the time to read through the details.

John

ModelCitizen
2007-11-26, 14:08
Are you maybe just seeing the "new" new skin?
John
You are right. I am. I've also read that thread now and lots more (took quite a while!). I now understand the difference between SC 7 and Jive too... so in future will confine such comments as "the intially "designed" skin now looks like the IT dept. have got to it" to the correct forum.
MC