PDA

View Full Version : Switching SB3 off

soupdragon
2007-10-24, 01:41
good morning
i have a SB3 - and would like to know can i switch it off without having to go through the rigmarole of re-assigning it when switching back on - in essence i would prefer if possible to not have on standby but rather attach mains supply to the unit when i want to listen to it, but otherwise have it switched off and not produce a carbon footprint !

any wise owls to advise ?

Liam

James_B
2007-10-24, 02:09
I usually just turn mine on and off at the mains. You do have to go through a few options with the RC but it is very fast. Once powered on its something like..

Right to configure
Down three times to Squeeze Network or your server of choice
Then right to confirm

So it is about five clicks with the remote in total. And I am with you on the power saving!

slimpy
2007-10-24, 02:25
When I disconnect my SBs from the mains occasionally and then reattach them they connect to the previously selected server without any manual interaction a couple of seconds after displaying the setup/select server screen.

-s.

soupdragon
2007-10-24, 02:28
thanks guys
is it best to have default at squeezenetwork (SN) or slimserver(SS) ?
it seems form what you are saying that SN is better ?

Liam

bhaagensen
2007-10-24, 02:40
I also find that using a static ip makes my SB connect slightly faster than with dhcp. Not that the boot up time really bothers me anyway. It is also "an automatic procedure" for me (no button presses), but I only have one server with a static ip.

Bjørn

James_B
2007-10-24, 05:46
thanks guys
is it best to have default at squeezenetwork (SN) or slimserver(SS) ?
it seems form what you are saying that SN is better ?

Liam

I think it does indeed auto default to whatever you used last. So whatever floats your boat. I just find myself listening to SN at night and then again first thing in the morning since i do turn my server off. I also use SN and MP3Tunes for casual listening - perhaps that saves a leaf or two :)

iPhone
2007-10-24, 14:47
Just making idle conversation, could one of the Slim Devices Tech guys or a senior member tell us how many watts the SB draws at power off idle with the clock screen saver setting and the brightness set to the lowest setting (first above dark)? I am fairly sure it is more then I think it is because of how warm the wall wart stays as well as the top of the SB3.

bhaagensen
2007-10-24, 14:54
Just making idle conversation, could one of the Slim Devices Tech guys or a senior member tell us how many watts the SB draws at power off idle with the clock screen saver setting and the brightness set to the lowest setting (first above dark)? I am fairly sure it is more then I think it is because of how warm the wall wart stays as well as the top of the SB3.

Someone did some measurments a while ago, its posted here.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=34789&highlight=power+consumption

iPhone
2007-10-24, 15:13
Keep making that newbie mistake of not doing a search before asking a question that over the years has probably been covered or asked at least once before. Lesson learned and again thanks

So anyway so others don't have to trot off to the link if they don't feel like it: The answer was about 5 watts no matter what seems to be going on.

Now for my question to everybody that is turning off their SBs at night to save Mother Earth: What is your TV set to?
1 instant on (meaning its in full standby)
2 full off (the remote will not turn the TV on you have to push the button)
3 Or Mother Earth mode (unplugged until you need to watch it)

I bet most are answer number one. I don't think we need to worry about fully unplugging our SBs until there are more of them then DVD players and TVs (hey I can dream can't I).

westernboy
2007-10-27, 03:21
Now for my question to everybody that is turning off their SBs at night to save Mother Earth: What is your TV set to?

Hi iPhone, my SB3 is off at the wall when not in use. Same for my TV. I'd like to say I do it to save the planet, but for me it's more about keeping my power costs down and, in the case of the TV, reducing fire risk.

And, before someone points out how little these devices consume, I do other things to keep the power use down like using flourescent lighting wherever possible, and solar boosted hot water.

Brian Ritchie
2007-10-27, 04:21
1 instant on (meaning its in full standby)
2 full off (the remote will not turn the TV on you have to push the button)
3 Or Mother Earth mode (unplugged until you need to watch it)

I bet most are answer number one. I don't think we need to worry about fully unplugging our SBs until there are more of them then DVD players and TVs (hey I can dream can't I).

And I'd guess that most people who will turn off their SB at the wall socket will be doing the same with their TV, as I do. (Indeed, I even unplug the TV, for safety reasons.) I do leave my PVR and VCR on standby, as otherwise they wouldn't do their job! My PC monitor is left connected to mains because otherwise it loses its settings and they're a real bugger to restore.

I work at a physics research lab, which at full tilt probably uses a significant percentage of the local power station's output; but we still have stickers reminding people to turn off lights when they leave. Just because device X is left on and consumes one or more orders of magnitude more than device Y, doesn't mean that it's OK to leave device Y on when it needn't be. It may be just a drop in the ocean, but it's still a drop, and all those drops do add up.

To get back on course: When I turn on my SB, sometimes it connects by itself, sometimes I have to take it through the connection by hand (fortunately, never to the extent of having to re-enter the network key). I have the SB set to show the clock when powered-off (red button on remote); but if I shut down the wireless router first, the SB's screen will go blank. I rarely use SqueezeNetwork, so the SB is usually looking for SS.

-- Brian