PDA

View Full Version : Update your Jive to r736

bklaas
2007-10-23, 13:19
hi all-

Beta users, particularly those using jive firmware from earlier this week, should update to the current firmware available, r736.

I made a couple checkins this week that, under certain situations, can lead to serious unpleasantness on boot. Mea culpa. Those issues are not in r736.

If your Jive HW is in a bad state on boot (frozen keypad or blank main menu), some tips:

hold down + while booting will wipe custom settings.

hold down vol-up key while booting will boot to the last previously installed jive.bin

One or both of those steps should be enough to get you to the state where you can accept the new update, and that should get you back to a good state.

sorry for the runaround,
#!/ben

Fifer
2007-10-23, 15:25
That fixed things Ben, thanks.

peterw
2007-10-23, 17:27
If your Jive HW is in a bad state on boot (frozen keypad or blank main menu), some tips:

hold down + while booting will wipe custom settings.

hold down vol-up key while booting will boot to the last previously installed jive.bin

One or both of those steps should be enough to get you to the state where you can accept the new update, and that should get you back to a good state.

sorry for the runaround,

Drat.

Booting with "+" to clear settings didn't work (seemed to clear preferences/settings but I still couldn't use the Settings menu). Booting with "+" and Volume Up both held seems to do the same as just "+".

Booting with Volume Up rolled me back to r723 (so says network.http logging of the User Agent headers), but both that and r727 have nonresponseive menus. I think r723 booted into a blank Choose Player screen and I was able to Home back to the top, but the only response I have now to wheel and buttons is the backlight brightening.

I also tried booting with just "+" to clear the settings, then powering down (with Home) when r727 asked me to choose a language, then holding Volume Up to get r723, hopefully with no settings. That got me the blank Choose Player screen, from which I can only seem to get to the home menus, which I can't control.

I do have an SD card and have copied the latest http://www.slimdevices.com/update/firmware/7.0/jive.bin to its root, but I don't know how to make JHB install that update since the wheel/buttons aren't driving the Jive UI. Is there a magic button boot sequence to force update from SD? FWIW, I have a later BDK with no serial adapter, and of course after the "+" there's no sshd running on the JHB. :-(

-Peter

bklaas
2007-10-23, 18:43
Peter- if you can get it back to booting r727, when it gets to the blank choose player screen during the setup screens, hit the home key. This should bring you to a jive-only home menu which should be operational in r727. You'll only see a couple of options on this menu, Settings being one of them.

Settings->Controller Settings->Advanced->Software Update->From SD Card

hope that works.

cheers,
#!/ben

peterw
2007-10-23, 20:57
No go, I'm afraid. I've tried fresh ("+"/reset) boots of r727 with and without an SC7 service on the network. Both times, when I pressed Home I saw Settings, Now Playing, Choose Player, and Extras but I could not move the selection from Settings, nor could I enter the Settings menu. The screen brightness and keypad backlighting react to button presses and movement, and the WiFi indicator seems to work, but that's it.

I also tried a fresh r723 boot (boot w/ "+" to get fresh r727, power off with Home, boot w/ Vol Up to get fresh r723), with the same results.

peterw
2007-10-23, 21:38
After that last post, it hit me -- Choose Player was a blank screen on some of my last attempts because I didn't have SoftSqueeze running & connected to SC7. After starting SC7 and SoftSqueeze, I booted r723 again and was able to install the update. I'm on r736 now.

Maybe this will help remember not to boot JHB if I don't have any SC7 players running. :-)

Thanks,

Peter

waldy
2007-10-24, 00:58
Hi Ben,

I can't seem to get past the "To update the software.." page to get this version. I've got an ssh option if I can do it from there

regards

Waldy

oreillymj
2007-10-24, 02:48
Thanks Ben

r736 seems a lot more stable then some of the recent FW releases have been.

Although it wasn't obvious at the time, it did seem like the remote was corrupting it's own setting file and changing stuff like the background image would force a re-write and fix of the settings. The after using the remote for a while, things would go screwy again.

Although I didn't play with the remote for long last night, it did seem like it was more stable and pretty nippy. Although I still don't bother scrolling long lists.

My feeling now is that some work has to go into hardening the firmware so that it can handle unexpected results from SC and pick a useful default after a timeout. customers would not like a bricked remote as a result of a server-side bug.

bklaas
2007-10-24, 07:05
After that last post, it hit me -- Choose Player was a blank screen on some of my last attempts because I didn't have SoftSqueeze running & connected to SC7. After starting SC7 and SoftSqueeze, I booted r723 again and was able to install the update. I'm on r736 now.

Maybe this will help remember not to boot JHB if I don't have any SC7 players running. :-)

Thanks,

Peter

Would you care to give me a data point from the field on that? Boot r736 with no player connected to SC7. Do you get a working menu? This should work fine now, but I'd like to hear about it if it doesn't.

cheers,
#!/ben

bklaas
2007-10-24, 07:06
Hi Ben,

I can't seem to get past the "To update the software.." page to get this version. I've got an ssh option if I can do it from there

regards

Waldy

That one is new to me, Waldy. Does the software update page give you no options to choose from? Is SC7 running? Are you in WiFi range of it? If so, you should see a Network Update option on that page.

#!/ben

bklaas
2007-10-24, 07:26
Thanks Ben

r736 seems a lot more stable then some of the recent FW releases have been.

Here's my strategy: I check in code that's buggy and then when I remove it, everything seems more stable (I'm kidding, of course; glad to hear it's working better for you)

Although it wasn't obvious at the time, it did seem like the remote was corrupting it's own setting file and changing stuff like the background image would force a re-write and fix of the settings. The after using the remote for a while, things would go screwy again.

whatever the case, I definitely fixed the settings issue with player-specific wallpapers that caused the crash. That feature will come in with the next daily, and whatever your settings currently are will be of no consequence to the feature change.

Although I didn't play with the remote for long last night, it did seem like it was more stable and pretty nippy. Although I still don't bother scrolling long lists.

Agreed. Long list scrolling is a big issue that we are taking seriously and solving very deliberately.

My feeling now is that some work has to go into hardening the firmware so that it can handle unexpected results from SC and pick a useful default after a timeout. customers would not like a bricked remote as a result of a server-side bug.

Yes, I've been thinking about that too (though FWIW, these issues were all Jive-side not SC-side). I opened a bug on this--
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5896

cheers,
#!/ben

waldy
2007-10-24, 09:50
Hi Ben, I'm within wireless range & all functions are normal except being unable to Software update:

I get a screen titled Software update with a message at the bottom "To update the software on this remote Choose Continue. This process takes a few minutes" If I press a button the screen jigs a little but doesn't advance to the update screen just stays on this message

regards waldy

bklaas
2007-10-24, 20:20
Hi Ben, I'm within wireless range & all functions are normal except being unable to Software update:

I get a screen titled Software update with a message at the bottom "To update the software on this remote Choose Continue. This process takes a few minutes" If I press a button the screen jigs a little but doesn't advance to the update screen just stays on this message

regards waldy

Do you have an SD card? If you do, download the latest jive.bin on to it (http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/7.0/), pop the battery cover on the Jive HW, remove the battery, slot the SD card into the slot, put the battery back in and reboot. You should then see "Update from SD card" as an option on the update screen. Select that to get yourself to the newest version. Hopefully you won't see whatever is causing this after update.

#!/ben

waldy
2007-10-25, 02:09
Hi Ben,

Thanks for the info, I only have 2gb one's, I'll try to get one in the next couple of days & let you know the result

best regards

Waldy

bigjules
2007-10-25, 03:52
On 25/10/2007, at 7:09 PM, waldy wrote:

> I only have 2gb one's

My 2GB SD card worked when I used the ssh technique mentioned in the
wiki. Might be worth a try.

waldy
2007-10-26, 15:02
Mmm, the option to update appeared on my jive this morning. Back up & running now, thanks