PDA

View Full Version : UK Newbie PSU issues

skunkbird
2007-10-23, 11:55
I know this subject has been coverd loads on the forum, but My SB was posted to me from the States, and I somehow managed to fry the crappy supplied PSU. I'm looking to replace it here in London, without having to fork out 60-150 on a 'pro' PSU. Does anyone know where i can pick up a good replacement in the UK?

Khuli
2007-10-24, 01:10
Maplin do a 5V 4A SMPS for 17.99 http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ITAG=SPEC&ModuleNo=48484&doy=24m10#spec

James_B
2007-10-24, 01:12
This might be what you want.. it is also supposed to be a step up from the original.

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/Batteries+&+Power+Supplies/AC+to+DC/UNBRANDED/AD-05150R/displayProduct.jsp?sku=PW00187&_requestid=172806

Ashy72
2007-10-25, 03:53
CPC Farnell do a 5V 1.5A Linear Power Supply its part number is PW00187. This is what i use, it made a big difference to the sound quality on my system.

Robin Bowes
2007-10-25, 05:01
skunkbird wrote:
> I know this subject has been coverd loads on the forum, but My SB was
> posted to me from the States, and I somehow managed to fry the crappy
> supplied PSU. I'm looking to replace it here in London, without having
> to fork out 60-150 on a 'pro' PSU. Does anyone know where i can pick
> up a good replacement in the UK?

Patrick Dixon may have some spare PSUs.

http://www.at-view.co.uk/contact.htm

R.

PeterDB
2007-10-25, 12:54
Skunkbird,

I just dropped you a private message.

/Peter

morris_minor
2007-11-15, 03:18
CPC Farnell do a 5V 1.5A Linear Power Supply its part number is PW00187. This is what i use, it made a big difference to the sound quality on my system.

I've just got one of these power supplies, and though the SB powers up OK, as soon as it's acquired an IP address it shuts down.

With Slim Server playing a track, the analogue VU meters come on for a second or two (playing), and then it shuts down.

More worryingly, when switching back to the original power supply there appears to be no output on the S/PDIF co-ax socket.

Any ideas, please??

Thanks,
Bob

BTW I made sure the +ve connection was the centre when connecting the plug adaptor . .

PeterDB
2007-11-15, 05:16
Hi,

Sounds strange.

Try to reset the SB, when change the power supplies. You can do two forms of reset firmware (press and hold ADD down when the splash screen appears, when connecting the power supply) or the xilinx reset (press and hold 1 down when the splash screen appears, when connecting the power supply).

Let me know, how this works out for you.

/P

morris_minor
2007-11-15, 15:44
PeterDB,

Thanks a lot for the info - I hadn't got as far the resets in my exploration of the SB . . .

BTW - I hadn't mentioned that headphone output was OK, even though digital out wasn't.

I tried the firmware reset first - no joy; then the xilinx reset [what is this??] - no joy.

As a last resort I cut the power to my DAC. When this was restored, bingo! Digital out service resumed OK.

I'm reluctant to try my beefy new power supply again; I know there are conflicting opinions about how the ps affects the sound quality, but I wasn't risking too much money with my purchase, though it's disappointing to have found these problems.

Anyway - on with the ripping :o)