PDA

View Full Version : Accessing Slimserver from a different PC

blinke
2007-10-22, 07:54
is it possible to connect the squeezebox to someone's slimserver

I wonder about the possibility to get access to someone's slimserver to be able to listen to their music
I was told that I cannot get access to someone slimserver neither via his slimserver nor by having their IP address that he can paste in to the squeezebox
I was informed that I have to be connected to their network for that or is there a possibility to get to someone music via online service f.ex. MP3 Tunes.

thanks

SuperQ
2007-10-22, 15:35
is it possible to connect the squeezebox to someone's slimserver

I wonder about the possibility to get access to someone's slimserver to be able to listen to their music
I was told that I cannot get access to someone slimserver neither via his slimserver nor by having their IP address that he can paste in to the squeezebox
I was informed that I have to be connected to their network for that or is there a possibility to get to someone music via online service f.ex. MP3 Tunes.

thanks

It is perfectly possible to access a remote slimserver. This is how the squeezenetwork works.

The issue is routing. Most home networks are behind "NAT" wifi routers. This allows several PCs, squeezeboxes, whatever to connect via one publicly addressable internet connection. This also provides a ruidmentary firewall for all devices behind the NAT router.

To access a slimserver outside of a NAT router, you must forward ports from the public interface to the private address of the slimserver. This is documented in the wiki:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToNetworks

This can be very dangerous. Unless you are careful and restrict the access, anyone on the internet may be able to access your slimserver.

Siduhe
2007-10-23, 01:24
If you are interested in doing this, most people on here recommend using a (password protected) SSH tunnel.

More details here:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?ConnectingRemotely