PDA

View Full Version : Removing the .xxx suffix from the display?

okvaal
2007-10-21, 06:47
Hi.
Anyone know if there is a setting to drop the .mp3, .wav etc. suffix from the display screen, or does it simply has to be there because it is already a part of the file name? I'd like to save some extra space, if possible.

cheers,
ole k

funkstar
2007-10-21, 07:45
Where are you seeing this?

The only time i can think this would be happening is if you don't have any tags in your files and are browsing by music folder.

And of course, if you are using WAV files, there won't be any meta data included in them. You really should look into using FLAC and sorting out the music tags.

Pale Blue Ego
2007-10-21, 08:20
You probably have "FILENAME.EXT" selected as your Player Display format. You should select something like "Artist - Title" or "TrackNumber - Title"

okvaal
2007-10-21, 08:22
Thanks for your reply.
Well, I'm seeing it all the time, so to speak. All my music files are tagged using J.River MediaCenter, which, in my opinion, is a very good tagging tool, specially when it comes to opportunities for tagging classical music. Nonetheless, in the squeezebox display the following appears: Artist-Album-Track#-Name.mp3.
And yes, I have been thinking of using Flac, which I see is highly recommended here in this forum. I'd like a lossless compression, but I don't want to lose the MediaCenter tagging possibilities. And I don't think this could be a MC problem, as also my wav-files will appear with this .xxx thing . . .

okvaal
2007-10-21, 08:28
You probably have "FILENAME.EXT" selected as your Player Display format. You should select something like "Artist - Title" or "TrackNumber - Title"

Thanks for your reply. My current setting is (if I'm at the right menu at all) DISC-TRACKNUM.TITLE. I must admit I cannot quite see how this can give me a filename like artist-album-track#-title in the display, but it appearently does.

Ur[s]uS
2007-10-21, 14:35
Thanks for your reply. My current setting is (if I'm at the right menu at all) DISC-TRACKNUM.TITLE. I must admit I cannot quite see how this can give me a filename like artist-album-track#-title in the display, but it appearently does.

using fishbone, in right panel (squeezebox) click Settings
then choose your preferred Title Format - click the dots to the left, choosing one without .EXT
i prefer "tracknum. title"

radish
2007-10-22, 10:51
Thanks for your reply.
Well, I'm seeing it all the time, so to speak. All my music files are tagged using J.River MediaCenter, which, in my opinion, is a very good tagging tool, specially when it comes to opportunities for tagging classical music. Nonetheless, in the squeezebox display the following appears: Artist-Album-Track#-Name.mp3.
And yes, I have been thinking of using Flac, which I see is highly recommended here in this forum. I'd like a lossless compression, but I don't want to lose the MediaCenter tagging possibilities. And I don't think this could be a MC problem, as also my wav-files will appear with this .xxx thing . . .

As an aside, there are plugins to make FLAC work with JRMC. Why they don't just add support to the core product I have no idea, wnough people have asked for it, but I have it working fine.

okvaal
2007-10-23, 10:10
uS;236929']using fishbone, in right panel (squeezebox) click Settings
then choose your preferred Title Format - click the dots to the left, choosing one without .EXT
i prefer "tracknum. title"

Thanks a lot. It made me realize that I must have been fiddling with some other setting, which I can no longer recall. At least, I think so. Anyway, I've got it all fixed now.

cheers,
ole k

okvaal
2007-10-23, 10:12
As an aside, there are plugins to make FLAC work with JRMC. Why they don't just add support to the core product I have no idea, wnough people have asked for it, but I have it working fine.

Thanks, Radish (and everybody else). I dl'ed the plugin and it all works fine. I need to find some more info on flac, though. (Being OT already, does anyone here know what "Quality 6" equals i.e. in an mp3 setting?)

cheers,
ole k

radish
2007-10-23, 10:34
Thanks, Radish (and everybody else). I dl'ed the plugin and it all works fine. I need to find some more info on flac, though. (Being OT already, does anyone here know what "Quality 6" equals i.e. in an mp3 setting?)

cheers,
ole k

There's a compression level setting for the FLAC encoder which basically determines how hard the encoder tries when compressing. So a higher level means the encode takes longer, but the file should be a little smaller. Personally I leave it at the default, higher settings rarely produce significantly better results and can take a lot longer to encode.

Being lossless of course, the actual quality of the audio is unaffected by all this.

okvaal
2007-10-23, 12:11
There's a compression level setting for the FLAC encoder which basically determines how hard the encoder tries when compressing. So a higher level means the encode takes longer, but the file should be a little smaller. Personally I leave it at the default, higher settings rarely produce significantly better results and can take a lot longer to encode.

Being lossless of course, the actual quality of the audio is unaffected by all this.

Again, thanks for your reply.

best of wishes,
ole k