PDA

View Full Version : Transporter getting warm when router is off

Chris_Zug
2007-10-21, 04:38
I have experienced the following with my brand-new transporter: When I switch off the router in the evening, the date/time screensaver disappears. Next morning, the transporter is pretty warm, especially at the back. After a few hours having the transporter on, the temperature goes down to something like lukewarm.

Does anybody else also experience this behaviour? Maybe the transporter tries constantly to find other wireless networks and thats the reason for the device to get warm?

Cheers,
Chris

SuperQ
2007-10-21, 09:38
I have experienced the following with my brand-new transporter: When I switch off the router in the evening, the date/time screensaver disappears. Next morning, the transporter is pretty warm, especially at the back. After a few hours having the transporter on, the temperature goes down to something like lukewarm.

Does anybody else also experience this behaviour? Maybe the transporter tries constantly to find other wireless networks and thats the reason for the device to get warm?

Cheers,
Chris

Hrm.. It would be interesting to put it on a watts-up or kill-a-watt power meter to see what happens when wifi signal is lost. I know the SB and TP will retry looking for the router, maybe it's trying too much. Either way, the thermal design of the system is still only a few watts, there is no need to worry about it burning out.

amcluesent
2007-10-21, 10:12
>When I switch off the router in the evening<

Probably not a scenario the TP designers anticipated ;)

iPhone
2007-10-21, 10:59
Doesn’t the Transporter and Squeezebox get their time from the network they are connected to? By killing the router power, I believe it will lose its time source.

Also, why do you power down your router at night? The amount of electricity the router uses is about the same amount as still having the wall wart plugged in. My router has not been off in three years due to being on a UPS except for two or three on purpose restarts. You are obviously not turning your Transporter off i.e. unplugging it. Just wondering?

Chris_Zug
2007-10-21, 12:01
Well I don´t want to be surrounded by wireless lan radiation in the night ;)

Fifer
2007-10-21, 12:13
Well I don´t want to be surrounded by wireless lan radiation in the night ;)

Good job your Transporter doesn't radia ...

Oh.

Chris_Zug
2007-10-21, 13:35
Good point Fifer, but the transporter is located in the living room, not like the router close to my bedroom ;)

IvanSlade
2007-10-21, 15:30
How are you surrounded by wi fi radiation all night?
The router is off.
I would be more bothered with local cell phones.

funkstar
2007-10-21, 16:03
I'd be more woried about standing in front of the microwave, waiting for the curry/pizza/noodles to cook.... oh wait i'm not :P

What you need is tinfoil, and lots of it!

;)

IvanSlade
2007-10-21, 16:43
I'd be more woried about standing in front of the microwave, waiting for the curry/pizza/noodles to cook.... oh wait i'm not :P

What you need is tinfoil, and lots of it!

;)
Nice one.
So we all have to run around in our alu suites does not help much)dO PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTAND THAT WE ARE BATHED IN RADIATION AND IT ONLY WHEN (sorry caps on) we tune in that resonance kicks in. The microwave resonates with your pizza.
If a router is on and the computer is off then there is no resonace.
So I am in a bar and one person talks to another in the same bar and that is a problem!!! Danger is only by resonance or tuning in. Explain it to Al Gore.

iPhone
2007-10-22, 15:46
Hello Chris,

I sure hope you are joking or pulling my leg/chain about the reason you turn your wireless router off at night. First of all there are two types of Radiation, they are non-ionizing and ionizing. Ionizing is the bad one for it causes changes at the cellular level in the body and is cumulative meaning that if one is exposed to 20 rads on Monday and 25 rads on Thursday one is at 45 rads for life until exposed to more which adds again to ones total. Ionizing Radiation is from nuclear sources, X-ray machines, and outer space. Since none of these are emitted from your WiFi server, you are quite safe from Ionizing Radiation as far as your wireless router is concerned!

Next is non-ionizing radiation and it is relatively safe. It is bad for the eyes, so do not look down any open wave-guides or into any type of dish transmitting antenna. Its effects are not cumulative, except for the eyes and a few other soft tissues. Exposure today is today’s exposure in general terms. Can one be over exposed in a single day? Yes but we are talking about standing in front of a military high powered CW radar for hours.

The low power levels, the frequency, the fact that the head and most body parts are not resonant at 2.4 or 5.6 GHz, and the fact that it is not constantly transmitting, makes ones wireless router rather benign when it comes to Non-ionizing Radiation exposure. Additionally due to the frequency and power level, the near field hazard exposure area is almost non-existent. One would know if they were being over exposed because one begins to feel warm or starts to feel tired, these are the warning signs of to much exposure to non-ionizing radiation. Sort of like how the hamburger feels when it is zapped by the microwave oven. Notice I did not use the term “Nuked” by the microwave oven. Microwave ovens do not use Ionizing Radiation so they are not nuclear. So as long as one is not playing music all night while using their wireless router as a pillow, I think it is just fine to leave it on all the time.

IvanSlade
2007-10-22, 16:26
Right on and how many people understand all of this? Not too many; not sure about your ionization though.
Best
Ivan