PDA

View Full Version : iTouch as a remote

rdhir
2007-10-21, 04:04
Dear all,

slimdevices user for a while, newbie on the forum.

Is there any documentation someone could point me to for the user interface code.

I've decided to have a go at fixing some of the interface issues with the iTouch.

I'm not an Apple fanboy (in fact I bought the device with great hesitation). But here's my reasoning.

I want a decent touch screen remote for doing "mode switching" in whole house automation. Given lots of things now have decentish web interfaces, the obvious cheap solution is a 4"-7" touchscreen WiFi browser with recharging dock.

The multi-touch and the Safari browser are a pretty decent go at this, and the cost basis is great at 200.00 (8GB).

All the UMPC alternatives despite having better screens (800x480) are all much more expensive.

My CE (Consumer Electronics) comparator is a Philips Pronto TSU9400 which retails in the UK for 800.00

Now having used a 1st generation Philips Pronto I understand that for a primary remote a lack of hard buttons and the consequent tactile feedback is a big downer, so my view of the iTouch is that it should be used with caution for set and forget devices, eg choose an Internet Radio Station, Album or Podcast and listen for say 40mins to an hour.

The interface is usable currently, but needs some tweaks eg

The Play and Add buttons are way too small in list mode
The bottom menu bar overlays the item list and there is no scroll bar.
The screen refresh in dual mode interacts with zooming to reset the page position on the screen when using the default interface.

So any pointers and suggestions most welcome

mherger
2007-10-21, 10:47
> Is there any documentation someone could point me to for the user
> interface code.

http://yourslimserver:9000/html/docs/skins.html should get you started.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

Masterbaron
2007-10-23, 06:29
you are moving in the right direction but you may get there faster if you contact Salling Software and ask them to develop a script in Salling Clicker FOR THE iTouch. They have an interface for cellphones, PDA's that works great!

JimC
2007-10-23, 13:38
Dear all,

slimdevices user for a while, newbie on the forum.

Is there any documentation someone could point me to for the user interface code.

I've decided to have a go at fixing some of the interface issues with the iTouch.

I'm not an Apple fanboy (in fact I bought the device with great hesitation). But here's my reasoning.

I want a decent touch screen remote for doing "mode switching" in whole house automation. Given lots of things now have decentish web interfaces, the obvious cheap solution is a 4"-7" touchscreen WiFi browser with recharging dock.

The multi-touch and the Safari browser are a pretty decent go at this, and the cost basis is great at 200.00 (8GB).

All the UMPC alternatives despite having better screens (800x480) are all much more expensive.

My CE (Consumer Electronics) comparator is a Philips Pronto TSU9400 which retails in the UK for 800.00

Now having used a 1st generation Philips Pronto I understand that for a primary remote a lack of hard buttons and the consequent tactile feedback is a big downer, so my view of the iTouch is that it should be used with caution for set and forget devices, eg choose an Internet Radio Station, Album or Podcast and listen for say 40mins to an hour.

The interface is usable currently, but needs some tweaks eg

The Play and Add buttons are way too small in list mode
The bottom menu bar overlays the item list and there is no scroll bar.
The screen refresh in dual mode interacts with zooming to reset the page position on the screen when using the default interface.

So any pointers and suggestions most welcome

Michael Herger pointed you to the right place to learn about tweaking / creating your own interface. If you're going to be working on a web interface for the iPod Touch, you might want to start with the SlimServer Touch skin, created by our own Ben Klaas. You can try it out with the URL http://[server_ip]:9000/touch (where you replace [server_ip] with the actual IP address for your slimserver).

-=> Jim

plympton
2007-10-24, 09:55
RD,

I'd also like to tweak the interface to be more "finger" friendly - I love the current interface with a stylus, but for fingers it's the pits.

Also, it uses CSS and loads a TON of bitmaps, etc. Unfortunately, each fetch slows down the whole system because it has to be calculated, etc...

I was thinking that replacing it with a single bitmap (or series of bitmaps) with "hot zone" links (isn't that old-school HTML? I forget what they're called - client-side maps?)

I looked into converting it to Flash, but that learning curve for Actionscript/Flex was too big for me at the moment - and it wouldn't work on the iPod/iPhone...

PS: Do you know if the iPod touch's browser can do full-screen? That's one of the huge advantages of the Nokias - they do full-screen! (I picked up a 770)

If there's a way I can help out, let me know. (dan -at freepdx d-t c0m)

-Dan

BBear
2007-10-28, 05:45
The main frustration with the basic 'Touch' interface is that the footer covers part of the screen. As a very quick fudge I've edited the CSS (C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\HTML\Touch\slimserver.css) to change the following section:-
div#footer {
position: absolute;
bottom: -120;
clear: both;
z-index: 10;
}

By moving the bottom to -120 it seems to move the bar out the way for the useful stuff and gives a reasonable interface as a 'starter for 10' :) BB