PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone done an in-place SS upgrade from Ubuntu 7.04-7.10?

Balthazar_B
2007-10-20, 17:53
I'm running Slimserver 6.5.x on Ubuntu Desktop x86 7.04, and am wondering whether anyone's been successful doing an in-place upgrade to 7.10 with this configuration, before I try. I'm usually of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" school, but I'm often inclined to remain current on my software versions (though I've so far successfully resisted Vista on another machine).

Thanks!

pfarrell
2007-10-20, 18:27
I have not gone to 7.10 on my SS/SC box, but did on my laptop, and I should have followed your advice.

It wasn't broke, and I tried to fix it. Now the graphics is weird.

Better to wait a month or so, IMHO

Balthazar_B
2007-10-20, 21:00
In perusing the forums at Ubuntu, it seems like there are a myriad of issues with 7.10, some of which have been resolved, some not. I think it would be wise to wait for several patch cycles before updating a perfectly fine production system...

egd
2007-10-21, 00:27
I'm up on 7.10 but started with a clean install and then restored all my customisations/ config files. It was long overdue as I'd had some drive issues to sort out so I used 7.10 as an opportunity to rebuild one of my boxes.

PeterDB
2007-10-21, 03:33
I did upgrade and had a SS and SC perfectly running, except my LAN and load times in my browsers was extremely slow.

A lot of users are reporting on the Ubuntu forums, that they have the same issues. The main thread being http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=358893.

This seems to be an issue with routers/modems not fully supporting IPv6. Disabling IPv6 support in 7.10 solves this for users that have tested it.

I want to retest on a test machine to be sure, that I dont mess up my SC machine again.

On top of this, 7.10 is more efficient at pushing restricted drivers on you, like the nVidia drivers. Unfortunately, these restricted drivers are not well maintained for legacy devices, so on my SC server which has a nVidia Vanta card, the graphics were messed up, removing the restricted drivers, solved this.

But, as for me, I am back at 7.04 again, since I need a stable system to run my SC on. Im holding off for a few months, before I make the step.

/Peter

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-21, 06:54
The upgrade process failed for me:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=579608

I had to do a clean install.

bhaagensen
2007-10-21, 07:38
Hi, did one 100% successful upgrade and one which required some fiddling around. No idea why. I never trust distribution upgrade processes 100% and always take backups of important stuff and I never do it if the system in question MUST work immediately afterwards... For me this has been a good strategy.

Bjørn

Mark Miksis
2007-10-21, 07:48
FWIW, I upgraded two machines (a desktop and a notebook) to 7.10 and had zero problems.

Ben Sandee
2007-10-21, 09:56
On 10/21/07, Mark Lanctot <
Mark.Lanctot.2yt3po1192974902 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> The upgrade process failed for me:

Probably because you compiled your own flac builds. Just kidding...

Ben

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-21, 10:04
Probably because you compiled your own flac builds. Just kidding...

LOL, don't do that to me!

On a related note, 7.10 comes with FLAC 1.1.4, so at least you get the compression and speed advancements.

A little OT, but my favourite media player, xmms, has been dropped. There are indications Audacious is the way to go if you like xmms, so I switched. Audacious is very nice, and I like the fact that it uses a GTK 2 interface. However the Feisty version 1.2.2 doesn't play 24-bit FLACs. The Gutsy version (1.3.2 IIRC) does.

egd
2007-10-21, 15:13
...my favourite media player, xmms, has been dropped. There are indications Audacious is the way to go if you like xmms, so I switched.

AFAIK Audacious is a fork from XMMS. I don't think there has been much happening on the XMMS front so this is probably a good thing.