PDA

View Full Version : Sync still broken 1/20 nightly build



Jason
2004-01-20, 18:34
I wanted to start a new thread on this, because Dean reported that he
believes he found the sync bug and the remaining bug is extremely difficult
to produce, but for me the sync is still broken. I will attempt to provide
as much information as possible.



Configuration;



Slimserver 1/20 nightly running on Linux Redhat 9 with Perl v5.8.0

Machine is a PII 450 with 384 MB of RAM.

Squeezebox is running wireless on 802.11b/g network.

Wired Slimp3 directly connected to access point/router.

Source files are all Lame APX encodes hosted on the same server as the
slimserver.



I downloaded the 1/20 rpm, stopped the slimserver and upgraded with rpm -U.

I updated the squeezebox firmware as requested by the slimserver.

I queued a playlist on the squeezebox (a single album) from the fishbone
skin.

I told the slimp3 to synch with the squeezebox and synchronized playback on
both devices commenced.



The first 10 tracks played fine. When playback of the 11th track began
audio output from the squeezebox ceased. I looked at the display of the
squeezebox and the remaining time display reads (-0:00). On the fishbone
skin track progress display for the squeezebox the beginning part of the
progress bar just keeps showing that the track is starting up over and over
again. During all of this the slimp3 is playing just fine.



Also while this was happening I checked the CPU utilization on the server
running slimserver. The average utilization is about 6-10% but it jumped up
to 35% or so and hovered there for a minute or more.



When track 12 began the audio was again synchronized on both players. then
during track 12 the squeeze stopped playing again with all the same
behaviors described above. After about a minute or so the CPU utilization
dropped back down to 6% and a minute later the audio re-commenced on the
squeezebox.



I never have a problem when the two players are playing non-synchronized.

kdf
2004-01-20, 19:27
Quoting Jason <jason (AT) pagefamily (DOT) net>:

> I wanted to start a new thread on this, because Dean reported that he
> believes he found the sync bug and the remaining bug is extremely difficult
> to produce, but for me the sync is still broken. I will attempt to provide
> as much information as possible.
>
sorry dean...I'm in the same boat as Jason. Can't get past one song.
-kdf

kdf
2004-01-20, 19:36
Quoting kdf <slim-mail (AT) deane-freeman (DOT) com>:

> Quoting Jason <jason (AT) pagefamily (DOT) net>:
>
> > I wanted to start a new thread on this, because Dean reported that he
> > believes he found the sync bug and the remaining bug is extremely
> difficult
> > to produce, but for me the sync is still broken. I will attempt to
> provide
> > as much information as possible.
> >
> sorry dean...I'm in the same boat as Jason. Can't get past one song.
> -kdf

on the plus side...having left it just running onwards, it recovered again on
song 3. Sync is very close when its working, and the timing seemed to be moving
closer to real time, if not as normal. Song 2 was still mostly silence, with a
few squawks.

hopefully the firmware fix sean is working on will get it that least step.

Whatever I'm doing must be that 'rare' case :)

-kdf

dean
2004-01-21, 09:14
It turns out that the same bug that was plaguing the folks with
Intel/PRO cards also affects synchronization in some cases (I was only
able to reproduce it with Linux). Sean knows what the problem is and
is busy fixing it.

Stay tuned!

-dean

On Jan 20, 2004, at 6:36 PM, kdf wrote:

> Quoting kdf <slim-mail (AT) deane-freeman (DOT) com>:
>
>> Quoting Jason <jason (AT) pagefamily (DOT) net>:
>>
>>> I wanted to start a new thread on this, because Dean reported that he
>>> believes he found the sync bug and the remaining bug is extremely
>> difficult
>>> to produce, but for me the sync is still broken. I will attempt to
>> provide
>>> as much information as possible.
>>>
>> sorry dean...I'm in the same boat as Jason. Can't get past one song.
>> -kdf
>
> on the plus side...having left it just running onwards, it recovered
> again on
> song 3. Sync is very close when its working, and the timing seemed to
> be moving
> closer to real time, if not as normal. Song 2 was still mostly
> silence, with a
> few squawks.
>
> hopefully the firmware fix sean is working on will get it that least
> step.
>
> Whatever I'm doing must be that 'rare' case :)
>
> -kdf
>
>