PDA

View Full Version : Jive feedback

James
2007-10-20, 02:51
Hope posting a new thread is OK...

My Jive finally arrived this week! Thanks to SlimDevices for sending one, nice to see things haven't changed after the Logitech takeover.

Here's my initial thoughts - and I have to say that a lot of things I noted on first use have already been fixed, very impressive. Is there a Jive changelist anywhere though? It would be nice to know what's changing.

1. The remote looks nice and feels great in the hand. I was pretty suprised by this, I was kind of expecting something less finished for this beta test. The screen is very good. (Compares well with my iPod Nano and Pronto Pro)

2. The battery cover opens reasonably easily, but wouldn't it make sense to make it in the same matt finish as the front panel? I find it slightly slippery in the hand and it would help with opening it too.

3. The scroll wheel is pretty nice. At first I found it hard to tell if it was actually moving due to the lack of resistance and smooth motion but it's pretty easy to get used to.

4. I turned the sounds off immediately. Really annoying!

5. The buttons around the scrollwheel feel a little small if you have fat fingers like me.

6. Buttons for select, play & pause? This seems like a waste of valuable hard buttons and I'm sure could be improved. Also the play and back being on opposite corners doesn't feel right.

7. Volume buttons are great only they don't do anything for me as I have digital output fixed. I don't think there's an IRBlaster for SC7.0 yet is there? Or anything to use the onboard IR emitter? If they were on the side of the remote it would be nice but I suspect keeping them all together is much more cost effective?

8. The battery life is pretty poor (the remote died when I left it undocked for the evening) and does the battery indicator actually work?

9. The clock in the bottom bar is always stuck - does anyone really need a clock there?

10. It took me quite a while just to get it working. Why is this latest batch of hardware shipping with such an old version of the firmware loaded?! I had to downgrade SqueezeCentre, upgrade Jive then upgrade SqueezeCentre again before anything worked!

11. I kind of felt that the 'alphabet chooser' widget shouldn't reset to the start on each new letter. I was expecting it to stay on the same letter when selected. (If that makes sense). I'm sure that's how arcade high score selectors work - I start thinking about how to get to the next letter from the current one!

12. The 'now playing' screen needs a better indicator of the currently playing track. The note icon isn't too great. I like that the pictures have stopped moving to the side in the latest update - I caught that getting out of synch a couple of time.

13. As far as album artwork goes, most of my music doesn't have it and I'm starting to feel I'd rather not see anything for those tracks rather than that ugly grey default icon against every track...

14. The screensavers are pretty good and The flickr one is great! I'd love a feature where I could 'favourite' images I liked and then look them up in Flickr later?

15. Main criticism at the moment is that it's difficult to know when the remote is waiting for something from the server, or has lost contact or whatever. Sometimes there's a busy indicator but it's not consistent. More real-time feedback is definitely needed. It seems to get out-of-sync with playback quite frequently and it's not clear why.

16. Disappointed to see that no plugins that haven't been written with Jive in mind appear on the controller at all. Would it be difficult to provide some sort of backward-compatibility mode that enables old plugins with no changes? Of course I'll be looking into fixing up LastFM and iTunesUpdate to interact with the remote, but this would make for an easy start.

17. The wireless reception seems reasonable - I live in a block of flats and there are about 10 wireless networks available. I connected OK to mine on the 2nd attempt and connectivity seems pretty good. I can't manage a software upgrade from my study where the reception is poor, but Jive still seems to work OK there. In the rest of the flat it's fine (although I'm not sure how accurate the onscreen indicator is)

Anyway enough for now, just wanted to post while these things are fresh in my mind.

thanks

James

James
2007-10-21, 01:08
Oh, one more thing.
Seems like Softsqueeze players don't show up in Jive - Is this deliberate or accidental?
It would make developing for Jive a lot easier if you could use Softsqueeze to do so!

James

CardinalFang
2007-10-21, 02:08
Oh, one more thing.
Seems like Softsqueeze players don't show up in Jive - Is this deliberate or accidental?
It would make developing for Jive a lot easier if you could use Softsqueeze to do so!

James

It does in mine, but I had to do a factory reset to get it to appear.

erland
2007-10-21, 10:20
Oh, one more thing.

James

It has always worked for me, actually I've only used the Jive remote with SoftSqueeze since my living room system with the real SqueezeBox still runs 6.5. I can't remember doing anything special to get it to work, I think it worked right out of the box.

erland
2007-10-21, 10:25
16. Disappointed to see that no plugins that haven't been written with Jive in mind appear on the controller at all. Would it be difficult to provide some sort of backward-compatibility mode that enables old plugins with no changes? Of course I'll be looking into fixing up LastFM and iTunesUpdate to interact with the remote, but this would make for an easy start.

There is some backward compatibility, have a look at the following threads:

1. Show the SqueezeBox display directly on the Jive remote:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=38464

2. Implement menus on the Jive with perl code in SqueezeCenter
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=39404

peterw
2007-10-21, 11:42
2. The battery cover opens reasonably easily, but wouldn't it make sense to make it in the same matt finish as the front panel? I find it slightly slippery in the hand and it would help with opening it too.

Also the glossy back of my current-generation "candy bar" remotes have picked up visible scratches much more readily than the non-glossy previous generation and very matte finish of the SB1 remote. The matte front of the JHB is a nice finish, and I'd love to see that on the back of the JHB controller and the charging base, too (with the JHB cradle next to an all-black SB3, there's almost a checkboard effect: shiny JHB base next to relatively light black chrome SB3 base; matt JHB button area next to relatively dark and shiny SB3 display -- I think it'd look better if all the JHB unit/cradle beneath the display of a shucked JHB were matte).

James
2007-10-21, 12:53
There is some backward compatibility...

Right, but it's not really what I was thinking of. Either everyone has to modify their plugins or I have to muck around on the command line installing a widget that does it...
Of course, I guess this is one reason for this rather extensive beta test, in that everything will be 'jive ready' by the time it hits production...

I think my problem with Softsqueeze is that the wi-fi reception is terrible where my PC is (it's networked to the router with homeplugs). Jive seems to stop getting updates from the server at all when I'm sitting by the PC. When I started softsqueeze then went for a walk with the remote it appeared...

James