PDA

View Full Version : How fast should slimserver be?

wnshall
2007-10-19, 13:23
How fast should I expect the web browser interface to slim server to be? I've got a ~3 year old PC running XP with a squeezebox connected wirelessly. I'm running ss 6.5, and mostly use Firefox. I find that most anything I do in slimserver -- clicking on any link, eg. server settings, or browse, etc. -- takes 1-3 seconds to render on the screen. If I do something intensive like look at a long list of albums (with cover art), or browse to a genre that has lots of artists in it (even without displaying cover art), it takes even longer to display the results. It seems to be rather slower than most browsing on the internet, which has always struck me as odd since no data is actually transmitted over the 'net, since both server and client are on the same machine (isn't that right?).

Anyway, is this typical, or should I be looking for problems with my setup?

-steve

SuperQ
2007-10-19, 14:29
It would help to post more details about this PC.. What CPU? how much ram?

My guess is you don't have enough ram, and the system is swapping. You may be better off running Slismerver on Ubuntu. ;)

bhaagensen
2007-10-19, 14:51
It seems to be rather slower than most browsing on the internet, which has always struck me as odd since no data is actually transmitted over the 'net, since both server and client are on the same machine (isn't that right?).

Depends. Don't forget that serving webpages also requires resources. E.g. the (slim)server accesses a database and resizes artwork.

BjÝrn

wnshall
2007-10-19, 21:57
It would help to post more details about this PC.. What CPU? how much ram?

My guess is you don't have enough ram, and the system is swapping. You may be better off running Slismerver on Ubuntu. ;)

It's a Pentium 4, 3.8 GHz w/ 1 GB of ram. It's not blindingly fast on other tasks, but certainly more than adequate. I have no problem having Word, Excel, and a browser open at the same time.

I just did some informal testing, and it's worse than I orginally said. When I choose Browse/Genres and select a genre with about 30 artists, it takes 3-4 seconds to load the page. Loading the server settings page takes 3-4 seconds. Selecting "All Albums" from a genre that produces a list of around 90 albums (text listing) takes 10-14 seconds (no images involved!). Selecting album art view takes about 10 seconds to begin to render the images, 14 seconds to finish.

I understand that transmitting large images and data over the net is going to be slow. (Although, even graphics intensive web sites, such as ESPN, are not as slow as slimserver on my machine). However, it seems that when the server and client are on the same machine, this time should be minimal. That leads me to suspect the time delay is in the work slimserver must do, querying the database, etc. My question is whether the sorts of delays I quoted above are to be expected with a machine like mine. If so, will I see dramatic improvements if I get a new, more powerful machine. Alternatively, is there something about how i have the computer configured that might lead to slowdowns?

I should also mention that I have many of erland's plugins installed, including Custom Browse, Custom Scan, and SQL Playlist. It's possible that the additional computation they require is the culprit -- any comments on that possibility would be welcome.

-steve

mherger
2007-10-19, 23:16
> I should also mention that I have many of erland's plugins installed,
> including Custom Browse, Custom Scan, and SQL Playlist.

Please get rid of them just to for a test (enable them again afterwards).
Your times really aren't normal. Even my 1.6GHz Pentium M (2.5 years old)
is faster than this.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

IHSS
2007-10-20, 03:56
SlimServer is about that slow on my machine to. I Have SlimServer installed on a Centrino 1.7GHz, 1GB Laptop with Windows XP. Just installed Slimserver 6.5 a few days ago. Seems like the Mysqld.exe pocess is the problem. Sometimes it uses 100% CPU for a longer period.

Pale Blue Ego
2007-10-20, 08:41
Slimserver is much faster on Linux. I've been using a 1.5 GHz machine with 512 RAM and several major plugins. No complaints about the speed of the web interface.

wnshall
2007-10-21, 14:36
> I should also mention that I have many of erland's plugins installed,
> including Custom Browse, Custom Scan, and SQL Playlist.

Please get rid of them just to for a test (enable them again afterwards).

OK, so I unchecked the enable box on the Server Settings|Plugins page. I stopped and then re-started Slimserver and verified that Custom Browse et al were no longer enabled. Things were just as slow.

What kinds of things in my XP setup might be slowing down the performance?

-Steve

IvanSlade
2007-10-21, 15:27
Have you tried defraging your registery?
It could be the problem.
Beest
Ivan

wnshall
2007-10-21, 21:34
Have you tried defraging your registery?
It could be the problem.
Beest
Ivan

Do you have a favorite application to recommend? There seem to be a zillion out there.

-Steve

bgriffis
2007-10-22, 04:38
My old PC was a 2.6 GHz P4 with 1 GB RAM. I saw similar speeds when browsing web pages, maybe worse! It was to the point that I hated to use SS. I even got to the point that I was modifying the SQL parameters to try and give the database more RAM to work with, but that had no effect either. It definitely seemed to get slower as the playlist got longer. Pretty much anything more than 1 album in the queue made it very annoying.

Now I'm on a 2.4 GHz C2D with 2 GB RAM running Vista. The web interface is MUCH better now. Even with large playlists it responds in under a second.

Brad

TurnipMan
2007-10-22, 12:52
You've had XP for a couple of years - you've installed a number of plugins into Slimserver. My guess would be that you have probably installed ( and may be removed ) loads of stuff over the years.
A fresh install of XP usually works wonders for me - PC is much faster, at least until you start fiddling with all those extra bits of software.
You could try and do a separate install of XP in a spare partition add slimserver and see how you get on.
Tom

dazbarber
2007-10-30, 16:34
I'm having this slowness problem as well but mainly when browsing albums (especially when album art is enabled).

It takes about 4 or 5 seconds for the page to appear (when album art is enabled) and another couple of seconds for the images to draw. In other respects my PC seems pretty fast and I've had no problems.

It's a P4 2.6Ghz with 1meg of RAM.

Last night I was creating a playlist from several albums via the web interface which took an age and something must have corrupted as I lost all my album art (replaced by question marks) and I ended up having to do a full rescan.

Daz