PDA

View Full Version : SB3 display flickering

mapatton
2007-10-19, 07:40
Did a search and didn't see any threads related to SB3.

Recently got a SB3 and after a few days the display screen is flickering. It is doing it appear to vertical bands of pixels. The location and width of these bands does not appear to be fixed to the display screen width itself, but appears to be relative to the width of the information provided. The firmware was updated a few days ago when installed.

Any thoughts? Bug in the firmware? Odd as it just started a couple days after the update. Or is it a bum display?

Update - It also seems character specific possibly. For instance a J is also totally dark with no flicker, but a T in the same pixels is birght but flickering.
Looking close, most of the panel is flickering, with some areas being darker than other (IE: the vertical bands I referenced)

PS: Other than that - Even the wife loves this thing :)

I have been loading up my CDs as flac and using SS for a while now and just recently got the SB3. Now she sees the reason for the madness.

Many Thanks

Anoop M.
2007-10-19, 15:54
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Contact Support and they should get you a new player.

mapatton
2007-10-21, 06:28
Many thanks. I did and a new unit is in route. Excellent customer service!

jablonski
2009-01-24, 17:48
Hi, I read your thread; I realize it's over a year old, but I wanted to ask if you ever saw any flickering anymore after you changed your SB3 for a new one.
I just purchased a SB3 and seem to have the same problem. It's intermittent though, and like you said, some letters seem to suffer more than others. I'm asking so that I can exclude the possibility that it has to do anything with the surrounding electronic devices, and the risk of a ground loop. I attached an image to demonstrate what it looks like, maybe you can confirm if it's similar to what you had.
Thanks a lot in advance.

jablonski
2009-01-24, 17:57
I forgot to add that when the letters are small, the bar indicating the volume dims until it's almost dark when I change the volum. When the letters are bigger, the volume bar just flickers a little.

st2000
2009-01-25, 17:21
jablonski wrote:
> I forgot to add that when the letters are small, the bar indicating the
> volume dims until it's almost dark when I change the volum. When the
> letters are bigger, the volume bar just flickers a little.

No one? Well, my old SB has a solidly blue green display and doesn't
change in brightness unless I purposely adjust it. The VFD, that so
many prefer over the LCDs, probably makes up for half the BOM for these
boxes. So I would return, if you still can, the unit for a new one.

What might it be? I don't know, but if I had to guess, I'd say the high
voltage power inverter integral to the VFD's circuit board. If you
can't return the SB, I would replace the entire VFD, if you are up to
it. I think these are Noritake VFDs. But be prepared, new graphic VFDs
will probably be more then $100US.

....good luck

jablonski
2009-01-29, 17:06
Thanks for your input.
I sent it back to the webshop; they said they would send me a replacement after they tested it. So I hope that they will test it well enough, since it's kind of intermittent and usually happens after the unit has been on for a while. I hope replacing the VFD won't be necessary, but at least it's an option I didn't think of.
Thanks again,
J.