PDA

View Full Version : run out of hard drive space,,,

defnk
2007-10-18, 20:07
Hi Guys,

Any suggestions for me?

I run SS on a notebook that is fast runnoing out of room.
Notebook connects to the internet wirelessly via a netgear wireless router (that is connected ot a separate Unwired modem)
SB3 works wirelessly.

I would ideally like to connect an external hard drive to the netgear wireless router (and i guess still run SS from the notebook) Is this possible? Is it a good idea? Any problems with it?

Cheers!

aubuti
2007-10-18, 20:17
Sure. What you're looking for is Network Attached Storage, or a NAS. Sometimes they're called "network hard drives" or other things like "ethernet hard drives". There are many out there.

Some people (myself included) run slimserver on the NAS itself rather than on the laptop. Going that way would limit your options, as many NASs don't let you install software, and many of those that do are underpowered relative to slimserver's requirements. But if you want to keep running slimserver off your laptop, and just put your music library on the NAS, it's very straightforward.

defnk
2007-10-18, 20:26
Sure. etc.

Thanks for your reply Aubuti! I feel at ease with the direction I am going in now! Will keep SS running on the on the notebook as I'm just looking for a cheap storage solution (for now ;-)!

Can anyone suggest a brand for me / make for me? From what i have researched, i need to buy a caseing and a separate hard drive to slot in?

Update:
Will this work for me?? ANyone have any experience with them?
Buffalo LinkStation Network Storage Center - NAS - 250 GB

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage/linkstation/

http://www.ht.com.au/manu/buffalo/N/Buffalo-Inc/part/Buffalo-LinkStation-Network-Storage-Center-NAS-250-GB-HD-250-GB-x-1-Ethernet-10100/in_merch/Best+Sellers+Backup+1/detail.hts

cheers!

SuperQ
2007-10-18, 23:10
I would ideally like to connect an external hard drive to the netgear wireless router (and i guess still run SS from the notebook) Is this possible? Is it a good idea? Any problems with it?

Netgear's Infrant is a good device, although they can be a bit slow in updating their software when new versions of slimserver come out. Supposedly they are working on fixing this so updates can be more timely.

slimpy
2007-10-19, 01:47
If you want to run slimserver on your notebook I would buy something to connect directly to the notebook.
Otherwise you risk to run into wireless problems because of the multiple wireless hops that the music data has to take from storage to the SB.
If you have your storage connected to your router and slimserver runs on your notebook the data needs to travel wirelessly to your notebook (1st hop), then back to the router (2nd hop) and then to your SB (3rd hop).
Some people experience dropouts even with only two hops so having three hops asks for trouble!

-s.

defnk
2007-10-19, 06:26
If you want to run slimserver on your notebook I would buy something to connect directly to the notebook.
Otherwise you risk to run into wireless problems because of the multiple wireless hops that the music data has to take from storage to the SB.
If you have your storage connected to your router and slimserver runs on your notebook the data needs to travel wirelessly to your notebook (1st hop), then back to the router (2nd hop) and then to your SB (3rd hop).
Some people experience dropouts even with only two hops so having three hops asks for trouble!

-s.
Thanks for the advice Slimpy... would it help if i attached SB3 to router directly? so notebook runs SS. notebook wireless to router. router has ethernet to external buffalo disk, and router has ethernet to SB3?
cheers!

defnk
2007-10-19, 06:30
Netgear's Infrant is a good device, although they can be a bit slow in updating their software when new versions of slimserver come out. Supposedly they are working on fixing this so updates can be more timely.

Hi SuperQ.
are you talking about a NAS running SS here? Or does SS need added faciclities to operate properly on any NAS, even if it is only holding the music files and not running SS?

slimpy
2007-10-19, 06:43
Thanks for the advice Slimpy... would it help if i attached SB3 to router directly? so notebook runs SS. notebook wireless to router. router has ethernet to external buffalo disk, and router has ethernet to SB3?
This would eliminate one hop. Since you have two hops today already and you don't seem to have any problems this could work.
There's no guarantee however, because the setup would rely heavily on the wireless card in your notebook. It will need to handle twice the data troughput from today (sending to the SB and receiving from the NAS)!
a one-hop solution is still the preferred setup with wireless.

-s.

defnk
2007-11-07, 22:13
Hi Guys,

I seem to be unable to get the Buffalo external ethernet hard drive i had my eye on, but recently found this one :

LaCie 320GB d2 Gigabit Ethernet MINI + USB2.0 drive
I aim to plug this into my wireless router, and store my itunes music on it. Obv SS will be running on on my notebook and SB3 hardwired to the router (so two hops i think..)

Anyone see any issues with either my setup or the product itself??
Cheers!

jaysung
2007-11-08, 06:27
Why plug the external drive into your router and thereby making for more hops? Just attach it to your laptop and you've got one hop to the router. If the sb3 is hard wired you are fine. And I am not sure if the packets need to travel to the router first or can hop to the sb3 directly. But I would always prefer hooking the USB drive to the unit that ACTUALLY runs ss and needs the data in the first place.

Squid
2007-11-08, 10:47
I run SS on a notebook that is fast runnoing out of room.

I'll second most other replies here: try to have as much stuff connected via an ethernet cable rather than wireless.
It's not quite clear to me if you still actively use the notebook and take it with you and things like that. If that's the case, I would be a bit surprised you run SS there since you probably want SS running 24/7.
If however, like in my case, you just use the laptop as a spare dedicated computer sitting somewhere in a corner, you should probably look at connecting the laptop to your router with a wire. Also it would be best to connect the external harddisk to the laptop. File access over network is always a magnitude slower than file access within the machine itself.

defnk
2007-11-08, 15:54
I'll second most other replies here: try to have as much stuff connected via an ethernet cable rather than wireless.
It's not quite clear to me if you still actively use the notebook and take it with you and things like that. If that's the case, I would be a bit surprised you run SS there since you probably want SS running 24/7.

Why plug the external drive into your router and thereby making for more hops? Just attach it to your laptop and you've got one hop to the router. If the sb3 is hard wired you are fine. And I am not sure if the packets need to travel to the router first or can hop to the sb3 directly. But I would always prefer hooking the USB drive to the unit that ACTUALLY runs ss and needs the data in the first place.

Thanks guys.

I should explain, the notebook is my only computer, so it does everything. I leave it on 24/7. I also carry it around the house bit, so for example i could be on the couch surfing the web, and at the same time listening to music via SB3. For this reason, I dont want to be on the couch with cables hanging off me. (I unplug the power when on the couch, so i am truly 'wireless') in this scenario, are no cables running to the modem either, as the modem is connected to the wireless router. No point in having the technology if you can't use it!
So i guess back to my question : has anyone used a Lacie drive such as http://www.jctech.com.au/16880.html to store music on and still stream in the manner I want to?

My other alternative is to replace the harddrive in my notebook with bigger unit.. i think it maxes out at 160GB (costing me around $280 including the image copy), but should get me through another year at least..
Cheers.

jaysung
2007-11-08, 17:28
Hi,
Oh, well. Understand. If you only have that Laptop it gets tricky. Well, I wouldn't go for the drive plugged into the router really. Routers are embedded devices and their usb host isn't all that great and we've talked about the wireless issues.

I am running Slimserver 6.5.4 on a Celeron M 800 mhz 512MB of ram. If I where you I'd built such a pc from old components and hard wire that to the router. And then also hard wire the sb3. Once done hard wiring is really a pleasure.

You can wake the server on lan if you don't want it running all the time. Include two drives and keep a backup or raid0 just to make sure that all your music ripped in dozens of hours of swet arn't lost on one black morning where (and it will happen) the drive fails!
Cheers
jay

pablolie
2007-11-09, 01:23
I have a (redundant) network drive connected via ethernet to a router, and the same router has my silent desktop computer -which runs SS- connected via ethernet. The SB3s are wireless. With this config, FLACs are not an issue.

I think with the configuration you want to go for (wireless laptop running SS, wirless SB) will probably support MP3s ok, it may have occasional dropouts with FLACs when wirless signal quality drops some, which is the case in somewhat unpredictable spots even in a small place. I'd be curious about your experience - it *should* work.

Connecting the drive to the laptop every time seems tedious. I'd definitely go for a network drive when it comes to a music repository.

ceejay
2007-11-09, 01:31
Hi,
Oh, well. Understand. If you only have that Laptop it gets tricky. Well, I wouldn't go for the drive plugged into the router really. Routers are embedded devices and their usb host isn't all that great and we've talked about the wireless issues.

Jaysung, I don't think that OP meant to plug a drive into a USB port on a router - the drive he pointed at is an ethernet-connect drive which would plug into a LAN switch port, which is fine.

The main drawback with this arrangement is, as has been stated, that there are a lot of wireless hops: not just the two hops between server and SB, which some people (by no means all!) have found to be a problem, but additionally a wireless link between the server and its data. One might imagine long scan times, for example, though I've not tried it.

The good news is that most drives like this one (specifically including the one referenced) also have a USB port so you could use that as a fallback if the wireless performance really sucks.

Ceejay

maggior
2007-11-09, 08:19
Hi,

I am running Slimserver 6.5.4 on a Celeron M 800 mhz 512MB of ram. If I where you I'd built such a pc from old components and hard wire that to the router. And then also hard wire the sb3. Once done hard wiring is really a pleasure.

jay

I'll second this suggestion.

I bought an old P4 Dell from their website with 1GB of RAM, no OS for $300. It included a keyboard and mouse - no monitor. I bought a larger hard disc (500GB) and loaded up SUSE Linux on it. The monitor isn't missed since I only needed it to load the OS. Once it was up and running, I could access it remotely over the network. There are also stripped down Linux distributions that you can run on a PC that turn it into a NAS. Check this out:
http://www.herger.net/slim/detail.php?nr=1026

The point is that you may find a cheaper and more performant solution in an old PC running some version of Linux. The down side is that you will have to dedicate some time to setting it up - this certainly isn't a turnkey solution. Personally, I had a lot of fun getting mine up and running.

defnk
2007-11-09, 21:54
Thanks for all your feedback guys... I think I shall be flippin a (3 sided!) coin sometime on Monday :-)

Either:

1) increase the internal hard drive,
2)buy a pre-packaged srtorage solution such as the Lacie drive, or as I found during some browsing at computer stores on Friday,
3)a hard drive case and adding a disk to it (e.g Welland Case + Seagate 320GB for $200)Possibly extra config here...

(I really dont want to run another PC...)