PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver won't play to external client

Gavster
2007-10-18, 03:10
Hi,

The forum search facility doesn't appear to be work so I apologise if this question has already been answered.

I want to stream my music collection from home to my place of work so I followed the instructions given in the slimserver web interface for remote streaming.

From a web browser at work (Firefox) I can see my web interface and when I point windows media player at my server, the ip address appears in the server interface so it looks as though a connection has been established.

However, after selecting a playlist, when I click the play button on the server interface, it refuses to play. I can change other settings like shuffle, for example but it seems the server refuses to stream my playlist.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Gavin

mherger
2007-10-18, 03:36
> However, after selecting a playlist, when I click the play button on
> the server interface, it refuses to play.

Please make sure you've got the very latest build installed. This was broken a few days ago, but should be fixed in the latest build.

Michael

Gavster
2007-10-18, 03:52
> However, after selecting a playlist, when I click the play button on
> the server interface, it refuses to play.

Please make sure you've got the very latest build installed. This was broken a few days ago, but should be fixed in the latest build.

Michael

Thanks for the quick response. My Slimserver version is:

SlimServer Version: 6.5.4 - 12568 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

Is this the fixed or broken version? 8)

mherger
2007-10-18, 04:03
> SlimServer Version: 6.5.4 - 12568 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
> Is this the fixed or broken version? 8)

Ahm... none of these. The problem I was talking about was in the trunk (SC7).

Whatever... make sure you're patient enough for the player to fill its buffer. I've seen delays of up to 30 seconds with WMP before the actual playback started. If you want instant playback and control, you best use SoftSqueeze (can be found in slimserver's help section).

Michael

Gavster
2007-10-18, 04:49
> SlimServer Version: 6.5.4 - 12568 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
> Is this the fixed or broken version? 8)

Ahm... none of these. The problem I was talking about was in the trunk (SC7).

Whatever... make sure you're patient enough for the player to fill its buffer. I've seen delays of up to 30 seconds with WMP before the actual playback started. If you want instant playback and control, you best use SoftSqueeze (can be found in slimserver's help section).

Michael

Sorry but you've lost me re: trunk (SC7)

The problem I have is when I click on the 'play' button in the Slimserver web interface, it doesn't even get selected. The frame reloads but 'stop' remains the highlighted option. Do you see what I mean?

Gavin

4mula1
2007-10-18, 06:21
I'm assuming you're using the stream.mp3. Could this be an issue of lame not being installed?

mherger
2007-10-18, 06:22
> Sorry but you've lost me re: trunk (SC7)

Don't worry, unimportant for now.

> The problem I have is when I click on the 'play' button in the
> Slimserver web interface, it doesn't even get selected. The frame
> reloads but 'stop' remains the highlighted option. Do you see what I
> mean?

Please turn on d_http logging (Server settings/Debugging) and watch the log file (link at the top of that settings page). Do you see anything special when you try to play a song?

Michael

Gavster
2007-10-18, 07:17
@ 4mula1:

Yes, I am using stream.mp3. I'm not sure of the implications of not having Lame installed?

@ Michael

>Please turn on d_http logging (Server settings/Debugging) and
>watch the log file (link at the top of that settings page).
>Do you see anything special when you try to play a song?

I have done this. The debug option is repeatedly giving me messages like the following:

Sent 272 to 130.138.227.10
More to send to 130.138.227.10
Sent 17475 to 130.138.227.10
No more messages to send to 130.138.227.10
reading request...
HTTP request: from 130.138.227.10 (HTTP::Daemon::ClientConn=GLOB(0x68d202c)) for GET HTTP/1.1 /playlist.html?player=130.138.227.10&d=1192716525645
HTTP parameter player = 130.138.227.10
HTTP parameter d = 1192716525645
processURL Clients: 130.138.227.10:26873 192.168.0.5:42850
Generating response for (htm, text/html) playlist.html
generating from include.html type: fill
found path: C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\HTML\EN\include.html
generating from playlist.html type: fill
found path: C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\HTML\Default\playlist.html
End request: keepAlive: [7] - waiting for next request for HTTP::Daemon::ClientConn=GLOB(0x68d202c) on connection = Keep-Alive

I have also found some error messages in the log and these are as follows:

- ERROR: playmode: Couldn't gotoNext song on playlist, stopping

- sendstreamingsocket syswrite returned undef: Unknown error

These repeat a number of time throughout the log.

Gavin

jaysung
2007-10-18, 13:22
If lame is not installed it won't work. Go to player settings for the specific player and check if lame is installed under audio. If not install lame and try again. Sorry if you did try that but it looks like you didn't.

Gavster
2007-10-19, 00:34
If lame is not installed it won't work. Go to player settings for the specific player and check if lame is installed under audio. If not install lame and try again. Sorry if you did try that but it looks like you didn't.

jaysung, you're absolutely right ... I don't have lame installed. I must confess, I didn't realise what it was and didn't know that I needed it. Have now been to the lame website and all becomes clear.

Thanks for pointing that out to me. I will try to get it installed over the weekend and will let you know if it cures my problem.

Gavin