PDA

View Full Version : Random mix in Jive

bklaas
2007-10-17, 15:42
hi all-

I just checked in a change to SqueezeCenter (r13871) that will provide support for the RandomPlay plugin from Jive. After updating your SqueezeCenter (svn update or Oct 18 daily build) and restarting SqueezeCenter, you should see Random Mix show up as the bottom-most item under the My Music menu.

There are options for Random Song, Artist, Album, and Year mix, as well as a menu for selecting the genres you want to include in your mix (which saves as a SC preference).

As part of this checkin, I built the ability for any SC plugin to add itself to one of three Jive menus (My Music, Settings, Extras). If you are a SC plugin developer and want to do this for your plugin, take a look at how it's done in RandomPlay. Also feel free to contact me if you need assistance.

cheers,
#!/ben

gerph
2007-10-17, 16:49
hi all-

I just checked in a change to SqueezeCenter (r13871) that will provide support for the RandomPlay plugin from Jive. After updating your SqueezeCenter (svn update or Oct 18 daily build) and restarting SqueezeCenter, you should see Random Mix show up as the bottom-most item under the My Music menu.

There are options for Random Song, Artist, Album, and Year mix, as well as a menu for selecting the genres you want to include in your mix (which saves as a SC preference).

As part of this checkin, I built the ability for any SC plugin to add itself to one of three Jive menus (My Music, Settings, Extras). If you are a SC plugin developer and want to do this for your plugin, take a look at how it's done in RandomPlay. Also feel free to contact me if you need assistance.

Didn't seem to appear after a reboot of the server; rebooting the Jive as well seemed to work though.

If I'm in the 'Choose Genres' menu, I can't press the FWD button to skip to the next track. Volume buttons don't seem to work either.

But it does seem to do the Random Mix stuff... so that's cool, thanks! ;-)

erland
2007-10-17, 21:12

cheers,
#!/ben
If I understand this correctly this makes it possible to provide a multi level menu on the Jive remote without writing any Jive applet ?

Is this limited to menus that only represents each menu item as a single text row or could it also be menus that contains other information, such as a list of albums with album art beside each album ?

Fifer
2007-10-18, 00:17
Thanks Ben. I use Random Mix a lot and really appreciate your efforts. I'll download the appropriate nightly when I get home tonight and give it a whirl.

Skunk
2007-10-18, 05:08
This is great, thanks.

A lot of times I cue a single genre random playlist, so a 'select none/all' button would be nice.

Speaking of feature requests, after you click Random Song Mix it should (IMHO) take you to the Now Playing screen. Not the one that shows the album that's actually Now Playing and is only accessible as a screensaver, but the one that shows the current playlist ;-)

bklaas
2007-10-18, 06:46
If I understand this correctly this makes it possible to provide a multi level menu on the Jive remote without writing any Jive applet ?

Yes, that is correct.

Is this limited to menus that only represents each menu item as a single text row or could it also be menus that contains other information, such as a list of albums with album art beside each album ?

RandomPlay is actually a great example of doing something like this-- take a look at how the Genre list is put together. I add two new CLI commands in RandomPlay/Plugin.pm, randomplaygenrelist and randomplaychoosegenre, which each respectively execute subroutines chooseGenresMenu and chooseGenre that query/direct SC in one way or another and send back structured data that Jive (through the SlimBrowser applet) reads and displays.

A shorter form answer would be: you can send back dynamically created lists to Jive from an SC plugin without doing anything on Jive. It is not limited to text only menu items.

#!/ben

bklaas
2007-10-18, 06:51
This is great, thanks.

A lot of times I cue a single genre random playlist, so a 'select none/all' button would be nice.

Agreed. I will open a bug on this. The reason that feature isn't there already is that this bug blocks it:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5786

A select none/all button would have to be something other than a checkbox the way that I currently have it implemented. Currently Jive doesn't deal well with mixed menu styles on the same window.

Speaking of feature requests, after you click Random Song Mix it should (IMHO) take you to the Now Playing screen. Not the one that shows the album that's actually Now Playing and is only accessible as a screensaver, but the one that shows the current playlist ;-)

Agreed again, but not sure how to do that just yet. I'll open a bug for that too.

cheers,
#!/ben

erland
2007-10-18, 08:42
A shorter form answer would be: you can send back dynamically created lists to Jive from an SC plugin without doing anything on Jive. It is not limited to text only menu items.

Does this mean that all the browse menus in My Music on the Jive remote could be implemented this way ? Or is this already the case ?

bklaas
2007-10-18, 09:13
Does this mean that all the browse menus in My Music on the Jive remote could be implemented this way ? Or is this already the case ?

It's already the case.

All of the menu items in My Music are specified from SC and read into Jive generically with the SlimBrowser applet. Currently, all of the My Music items are sent from Slim::Control::Jive, with the exception of Random Mix which is in Slim::Plugin::RandomPlay (which in turn pushes that data to Slim::Control::Jive).

specification for how to generate the menus can be found here:
http://svn.slimdevices.com/*checkout*/trunk/jive/src/pkg/jive/doc/html/jiveMLON.html?rev=503&root=Jive

let me know if that wasn't clear.
cheers,
#!/ben

oreillymj
2007-10-18, 10:10
Strange I've upgraded to the latest nightly

SqueezeCenter Version: 7.0 - 13879 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Server IP address: 192.168.2.3
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt

.. and Jive FW r714 and there's still no sign of Random Mix even after a recycle of both the remote and the server.

Fifer
2007-10-19, 00:20
Strange I've upgraded to the latest nightly ... and Jive FW r714 and there's still no sign of Random Mix even after a recycle of both the remote and the server.

Me too, unfortunately.

oreillymj
2007-10-19, 01:23
I'll try today's nightly before adding a comment to the bug saying that it doesn't appear to be working.

Fifer, are you running Squeezecentre on Windows?

Fifer
2007-10-19, 01:43
Fifer, are you running Squeezecentre on Windows?
Yes, I am (although I'm attempting to set up a Linux box this weekend). Does the Windows nightly not contain the Random Mix yet?

oreillymj
2007-10-19, 03:38
Well in theory it does. I've looked at my RandomMix plugin and it seems to match the changes checked in earlier this week.

Others have reported that Random mix appeared on their remote so I wanted to see if there's any commonality. Windows would appear to be 1.

Anyway, I've updated this bug

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5537

Skunk
2007-10-19, 05:44
FWIW I'm on windows 2k and it works for me.

Fifer
2007-10-19, 07:27
I'm on XP Pro. No sign of random mix.

oreillymj
2007-10-19, 10:01
That is strange. I'll run the perl version and see if that makes a difference.

Skunk,

Just out of interest, what Jive FW are you on?
Did you clear out your cache dir or do a rescan?

Skunk
2007-10-19, 14:03
I was on 714 and the 10/18 nightly squeezecenter yesterday, and it works on 720 (with 10/19) as well.

Generally I use the uninstall.exe and then delete the squeezecenter file before installing a new nightly, if that's what you were wondering.

Fifer
2007-10-19, 15:41
I've tried 714 and 720 with the 18-Oct nightly with no joy. I haven't tried clearing the cache or a rescan. I'll try that tomorrow (Sat).

bklaas
2007-10-19, 15:51
apologies, haven't had a chance to investigate the missing random mix bug yet. If not this weekend, I will look at it early in the week.

one thing to note-- the support for this feature came solely from a SqueezeCenter checkin, not jive. So, make sure you're up-to-date with SC, as upgrading Jive won't do anything to help the situation.

cheers,
#!/ben

Fifer
2007-10-20, 03:42
Updated to the 20th-Oct nightly, cleared cache, rescanned music from scratch, updated handset to 1r723 but still no Random Mix. Good luck Ben, I'm looking forward to it. ;)

oreillymj
2007-10-20, 10:20
I had been running an instance of 7 from a separate directory to an old copy of 6.5 I had kept in case I wanted to revert.

Usually I just unzip each nightly into the Slimserver7 directory over the existing version with everything shut down so that there are no files locked. That seems to work, but in this case, there seems to be some dependency I've missed.

I downloaded the installer and installed a brand new 7 instance to c:\program files\squeezecenter and voila Random Mix appeared on the Jive.

bklaas
2007-10-22, 10:27
On the "windows-doesn't-show-random-mix" issue: On initial load of SC 7.0 I got no Random Mix, but then after a couple of restarts it showed up in Jive, and now I can't reproduce the issue.

I included some instructions to assist me if you are so inclined:

cheers,
#!/ben

nicketynick
2007-10-22, 10:52
On the "windows-doesn't-show-random-mix" issue: On initial load of SC 7.0 I got no Random Mix, but then after a couple of restarts it showed up in Jive, and now I can't reproduce the issue.

I included some instructions to assist me if you are so inclined:

cheers,
#!/ben

Hi Ben,
Just so I'm sure I understand you, if I set the debug before updating to a new nightly, it will save that as a preference so that I'll have a log with the first start-up?

Nick

Fifer
2007-10-22, 11:03
I never got Random Mix to show up under Windows, but my Linux box is running now and Random Mix shows up fine. I do have an intermittent problem however (not serious as the Random Mix plays which is the main thing). Most times when I start a Random Mix, it plays fine, but the 'stopped' screensaver (in my case, the analogue clock) kicks in rather than the 'playing' screensaver (which should be 'now playing'). When I navigate to 'Now Playing', it's blank.

I got it to work yesterday by removing the battery and instigating a firmware update, but it doesn't work today (after another firmware update - did something change?).

bklaas
2007-10-22, 11:15
Hi Ben,
Just so I'm sure I understand you, if I set the debug before updating to a new nightly, it will save that as a preference so that I'll have a log with the first start-up?

Nick

Yes, it should save as a preference. As long as you aren't wiping your prefs every time you update (and I doubt you are), that should work fine.

Really all you need to do is set Network.cometd to debug after starting SqueezeCenter and before starting up Jive. The save debug settings step was to insure that you wouldn't have to do this repeatedly in case I ask you to do this again.

cheers,
#!/ben

bklaas
2007-10-22, 11:19
Most times when I start a Random Mix, it plays fine, but the 'stopped' screensaver (in my case, the analogue clock) kicks in rather than the 'playing' screensaver (which should be 'now playing'). When I navigate to 'Now Playing', it's blank.

Yeah, the Now Playing stuff is a mess right now. I'm painfully aware of it, as it's on my plate to fix. That's not going to be a quick fix, so you're going to have to be patient. I need some input from Richard, who is out this week.

cheers,
#!/ben

Fifer
2007-10-22, 13:20
Yeah, the Now Playing stuff is a mess right now. I'm painfully aware of it, as it's on my plate to fix. That's not going to be a quick fix, so you're going to have to be patient.

Ben, the Random Mix plays music as it should and I'm more than grateful for that. We can wait a bit longer for the 'nice to haves'. Thanks for your efforts, they really are appreciated.

nicketynick
2007-10-23, 07:10
Updated to last night's nightly (10/22) on my XP box, and Random Mix showed up on the JHB just fine...... sorry, no help here.
On a side note, I've found the best way to get the JHB to catch up with the server (now playing, clock, etc) is to Change Players - as soon as I select another player, everything updates.
Not sure if anybody might find this useful......

Skunk
2007-10-26, 15:29
Agreed. I will open a bug on this. The reason that feature isn't there already is that this bug blocks it:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5786

A select none/all button would have to be something other than a checkbox the way that I currently have it implemented. Currently Jive doesn't deal well with mixed menu styles on the same window.

In Controller Settings the wallpaper chooser has a list of radio buttons, with a link to Credits at the end. Could a similar link exist among the genre check boxes that calls the check all/none script?

GoCubs
2007-11-11, 09:36
Unfortunately I'm experiencing the same problem with not having Random Play show up in My Music on Jive... I wanted to play with this functionality to add some Sirius and SuperDateTime menus to Jive... :(

I've gone ahead and attached my server log output to the bug.

Please let me know if you need me to do anything else.

-Greg

Craig
2007-11-11, 10:00
I posted in another thread that I cured the not showing up problem by deleteing an old jive plugin from the server. Apparently its not needed anymore. It worked for me after restarting both the server and the Jive.

Craig

GoCubs
2007-11-11, 12:16
I posted in another thread that I cured the not showing up problem by deleteing an old jive plugin from the server. Apparently its not needed anymore. It worked for me after restarting both the server and the Jive.

Craig
Ahh... just found your post. You deleted the 'jive' plugin. I just did as well and restarted everything and am happy to report that it did the trick :)

-Greg

Craig
2007-11-11, 14:45
Obviously the plugin is not as abandoned as Slim think it is :-)

Craig