PDA

View Full Version : SB3 rebuffering and reset problems

inca
2007-10-17, 14:29
I have used two SBs on my n/w for years with no problems but my new SB3 (ss6.5.4 f/w 81) is another matter. It constantly resets or stops for rebuffering.

I know this is not my n/w setup as I have 2 other SBs v1 and v2 running fine alongside. It happens whether wired or wireless. It happens running from my internal server so not a broadband or ISP issue. I had assumed this is a hardware problem but searching the forum I see this is a recent common problem with SB3.

I am writing this post for two reasons a) to find if anyone has resolved this issue and b) to assure people that in spite of what they being told this seems to be a real issue and not something to do with individual setups etc.

mik63
2007-10-17, 19:07
Same here; I have tried everything and it still happens once in a while with no reason I have been able to discover.

y360
2007-10-18, 02:12
Does it happen on any music format (mp3, flac) ?
Does it happen when streaming radio ?

bernt
2007-10-18, 04:34
Me to. http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=39325

inca
2007-10-18, 07:42
My SB3 rebuffering probs occur when streaming mp3 from my server.
Internet radio does not work at all - it starts with the buffers empty and does not fill them. Does not happen with my SB1 and SB2. My SB3 is basically unusable.

Can someone from SD please comment - lots of people are reporting the same thing but there are no fixes suggested.

Siduhe
2007-10-18, 08:14
This is a user forum, although people from SD do post here sometimes, it's not an offical support channel - and you won't get a response from SD here.

Given the seriousness of the problem you mention, your best bet may be to contact support@slimdevices.com who can talk you through the diagnostic process. When you do, I would emphasise that you have two other working players to try and cut through some of the basic support steps they may ask you to try.

I wonder if your SB3 has some kind of problem with its wireless card? What wireless signal strength do you get on the problem SB, and is it different from what the others show. Also, have you tried running the Network Test on the problem SB (see below)? What are the results?

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?DiagnosingPerformanceIssues

inca
2007-10-19, 02:09
Siduhe - thanks for response.

I didn't know about the n/w test. I am always surprised with the access tools available - that's what's nice about an open source model.

My SB3 is cabled and runs 100% at 5000kbps. Still won't buffer though.

I have tried support@slimdevices.com but have been waiting three days for response. Not so easy to call from UK.

Siduhe
2007-10-19, 02:27
If you were just running wireless, I would guess at some kind of interference, or a problem with the wireless card, but if you get exactly the same problem running wired (no wireless hops at all even between your router and the box running slimserver) then that can't be it.

Just to rule out some of the other regular issues, can you tell us a bit about your setup - what OS are you running Slimserver on, do you have any internet security or virus scanning installed like McAfee or Norton - and is the troublesome SB within the range of IP addresses that they consider to be "trusted"?

The only other thing I can think of is that you've got some kind of DCHP conflict which might explain why some of the players work fine, but the recent one doesn't. Is your router handing out the network addresses automatically? Can you specific a static address for the SB that doesn't work so well (outside the range of your DCHP set) and does that work any better? So (as an example) if your router is handing out 192.168.0.2-200, make the SB have a static IP of 192.168.0.201.

Others may have different views, but if the answer to all of this is no, it may be a faulty unit. Also a bit surprised you've not heard back from Slim Devices - they are usually pretty prompt in my experience (though I've not used support for a while now).

HTH

inca
2007-10-19, 05:19
My Slimserver is running on a Windows 2003 server box with RAID 5 high speed SCSII disk array on a cabled 100T network.

I will look into the DHCP - at the moment the server is assigning IP and this has not caused problems with my other SBs but worth a check.

inca
2007-10-20, 11:11
DCHP seems fine - unique and correct address assigned

bernt
2007-10-21, 23:51
It looks like my AP is'nt powerful enough. Everytime my daughter use msn with a webcam or watch a youtube movie from her WiFi connected PC the SB goes nuts.

So I have to get a dedicated AP or PoE adapter.

inca
2007-10-26, 02:23
Following suggestions above I assigned the SB3 an IP address outside the server's DHCP range. This cured the problem, although I have no idea why!

MrSinatra
2007-10-31, 13:47
i set my ip to static and outside the dhcp long ago, just to avoid this kind of issue.

i do think its kinda flaky via dhcp.

mik63
2007-11-03, 06:47
guys,
I have tried the fixed IP address outside the DHCP range and now for the last 24 hours I got no resets or music interruption.
I had this issue daily, even with 83%+ wireless signal constantly, no other wireless hubs on the same channel and all the other possible issues that everybody keeps pointing to...
It has nothing to do with the format of the music or else.
It MUST be something with the IP stack code on the SlimServer or SB3, or, possily, with the Wireless bandwidth being exceeded, but even that it is hard to believe as I had the issue even when there was nothing else using the bandwidth.

Anyway, I would like to ask anybody with the same issue to do the test:
Set your SB3 on an IP address that is on the same subnet of the DHCP but outside the range managed by the DHCP server.
For example give the DHCP 192.168.11.1-192.168.11.10 and set your SB3 to 192.168.11.20.

then please report your results to the forum!

thanks!

Mik

redgum
2007-11-05, 04:29
I tried this with fixing the IP address at the router to a particular address for both the SB3 and the box running slimserver without success.

I was wondering if the TCP/IP stack in the SB3 was a bit flaky too. By that I mean it doesn't handle some of the real world routers out there...

I'm running Slimserver on Windows Home Server, which is Windows Server 2003 SBS SP2 under the covers. I am positive this is my problem, but have no idea how to fix it.

mik63
2007-11-05, 17:54
I have WinXP Professional as the Os.
My Wireless router is a Buffalo; I have disabled any "acceleration" features for the wireless, justto make sure, but that did not change anything.
since I have changed the IP to static the SB3 has not crashed anymore.
Only a couple of times it has restarted a song from the start, for no reason...
The net diagnostics always report 90-100% signal, 100% full buffer 99% of the time...
Still a mistery.

mik63
2007-11-06, 12:39
today it happened again; with a few songs it rebooted for no reason; with others it restarted from the start of the song.

scatbass
2007-11-09, 07:30
I had this issue too...turned out to be hardware (SB3 wireless card died)....I simply called support and they are extending the warranty by a year and repairing it for me.

Haven't gotten it back yet, but so far, the support seems outstanding. Don't waste time chasing non-issues. If it's rebooting, it's most likely bad hardware.

feliao
2007-12-06, 05:09
Guys,

I had the same rebuffering issue with SB3. Checked the network via the network test and everything was fine.

Realised that the only change I did which led to this rebuffering issue (it was working fine before) was that I changed the Server priority setting. I changed it from the default setting of normal to -16 (High) hoping to get better performance.

I switched it back to the default normal setting and everything works perfectly now with no rebuffering at all!

Might be worthwhile just to check your server related setting and set it back to the default setting.

jth
2008-01-13, 11:10
I have been having similar problem with rebuffering with my SB3. The SB3 is a recent addition to my network, replacing a SB1.

The Rebuffering 1% ... message has been occurring with some frequency. The problem is that it never rebuffers, at that point the music just stops. This is with my own mp3 files. I'm able to hit play and start the song again, the SB3 does not crash.

I noticed that wireless traffic on my WLAN spikes on each song change, going from around 256 kbps (my mp3s are VBR, so this varies a lot) to 3600-4000 kbps. I haven't yet done a packet capture to see what these spikes are.

Because of the spikes, I made sure the web interface was not running, disabled AudioScrobbler and my SBC to see if those were the cause, but the spikes continue. I wonder if the burst of traffic is overwhelming the SB3 somehow.

I ran network health tests at 320 kbps and 500 kbps and it stayed at 100%. Wireless strength is 80. I don't think there's any packet loss. The SB1 in that location never had problems. There are no warnings or errors in the server log. I didn't see a likely bug in the bug db for this.

I'm running

SqueezeCenter Version: 7.0 - 16224 - Debian - EN - utf8
Server IP address: 192.168.1.7
Perl Version: 5.8.8 i686-linux
MySQL Version: 5.0.45-Debian_1ubuntu3.1-log

Platform Architecture: i686-linux