PDA

View Full Version : New squeezebox - several questions

jj61
2007-10-16, 19:11
Hi,

I just tried out a new squeezebox and several things puzzle me. I think it is having trouble getting the wireless signal, but I want to check if all of these things are related to that.

First, sometimes the display goes completely dark. Sometimes when this happens, the music stops, but not always. Why does it do this? Is is a problem with the unit, or is it signalling something. It can be completely unresponsive to the remote when this happens.

Second, while playing a song from a playlist, I noticed a point when it was playing one song, but displayed the name of another from the same playlist. The tags in the files are ok. Is it maybe caching a song and playing it, but it has fallen behind where the server is?

Third, sometimes I press press the volume button on the remote and it is unresponsive. Does it have to connect back to the server to regulate its volume?

John

sdonham
2007-10-16, 19:53
Hi,

I just tried out a new squeezebox and several things puzzle me. I think it is having trouble getting the wireless signal, but I want to check if all of these things are related to that.

First, sometimes the display goes completely dark. Sometimes when this happens, the music stops, but not always. Why does it do this? Is is a problem with the unit, or is it signalling something. It can be completely unresponsive to the remote when this happens.

Hi John,
I'm not an expert with this thing, but it sounds to me like a wireless problem. Have you checked the signal strength on the box?
Using the remote,
1. scroll down to "Settings" tap to the right,
2. scroll to "Information" tap to the right,
3. scroll to "Player Information" tap the right
4. scroll to "Wireless Signal Strength"

It should give you some indication of the unit's ability to connect to the server.

Second, while playing a song from a playlist, I noticed a point when it was playing one song, but displayed the name of another from the same playlist. The tags in the files are ok. Is it maybe caching a song and playing it, but it has fallen behind where the server is?

Again, this could be a wireless problem. If the unit has buffered the song, the song ends and new one starts from the buffer but the display didn't change because it lost connection to the server. I could be wrong about this. I'm not that familiar with Slim's internal workings.

Third, sometimes I press press the volume button on the remote and it is unresponsive. Does it have to connect back to the server to regulate its volume?

Yes, I believe it does connect to server to control the volume. Again, I could be wrong about this, but a bad wireless signal will affect this if the server has lost the slimbox.

In short, check the wireless signal strength. There is also a plugin called something like "network health" or "network stats" that will run from the server and tell you how good or bad your connection is. Ahhh... here it is. It's called "Network Test" under the plugins and you should be able to access that with the remote, but do that only after checking the wireless signal strength.

Hope this helps,
-sam

radish
2007-10-16, 20:20
From your symptoms I would suspect one of two things - either a bad wireless connection (which can be tested by temporarily using a network cable to see if that fixes it) or the server is heavily loaded and so isn't able to keep up with requests.

To answer your other question - pretty much everything you do with the SB requires the server. The screen is also managed by the server so it "sticking" or going dark is often the first sign of trouble.

mflint
2007-10-17, 01:14
sometimes the display goes completely dark. Sometimes when this happens, the music stops, but not always. Why does it do this?
SlimServer / SqueezeCenter controls the Squeezebox: both its display and the music. The display is updated constantly in real time, the music is streamed and fills a buffer inside the Squeezebox.

If the signal fails, the display will freeze for a few seconds, then go blank when the SB realises there is no connection to the server. It'll continue playing music 'til the buffer is empty.

Matthew