PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO stream to a mobile phone.

bhaagensen
2007-10-16, 09:56
Edit: I've updated to use the Beta Nokia Internet Radio application.

Hi,

I thought this was so cool that I'd write up a brief howto. Perhaps it can serve the purpose of showing the flexibility of slimserver. Or just reflect the experiences of a happy slim-user.

What this does: Streams from slimserver over WLAN to a Nokia N95. Playback is controlled using the N95 builtin browser and the special 'handheld' skin. The instructions are N95 specific, but I'll comment a bit on that at the end.

1. Download the Nokia internet radio application from

http://europe.nokia.com/A4668051

3. Open the "Internet Radio" application. It can be found in the 'Programs' folder of the phone. Choose add station manually from the menu and enter:
http://slimserver-ip:9000/stream.mp3

for the URL. Connect using wireless. Otherwise refer to the phone manual for this. NOTE 1: Streaming requires quite a lot of data, so unless you're on some kind of flatrate subscrition do NOT choose GPRS or 3G. NOTE 2: Data transfer starts immediately upon connection to slimserver regardless of whether a track has been started. See note at the end.

4. Press the application-button (the big one to the left of the 4-way chooser), and find and start the builtin browser. Enter the address: http://slimserver-ip:9000/handheld. The point is that you need to start the browser while leaving the internet radio application running in the background. Bookmark it for convenience.

5. Choose the right player. Phone will be listed by ip-address. Use whatever logic you need to infer which one is the nokia.

6. Click a track/album/artist to play. And there you go. Pick up the phone and go for a stroll round your mansion while listening to the best tunes in your library:) Pretty wicked in my opinion.
A few comments:

- This gives access to everything the slimserver can play.
- Instead of the "Nokia Internet Radio" application one can probably use any kind of player which can stream mp3 over http.
- I would think that suitable players can be found for windows mobile, palm etc.
- The "Internet Radio" application is available on various Symbian S60 Nokia phones, see the dl-link.
- I would think that suitable players can be found for a wide range of symbian phones.
- The player (client) is identified by ip-address on the slimserver. It has its own settings page accessible from the server-web interface. In particular one can set bitrate limiting. Still even at the lowest setting (64kbps) one only gets about two minutes playbacktime/MB. I think that in most cases the prices for data over 3G/GPRS are two high for this to be a viable solution. If you're on flatrate 3G, you're a LUCKY BAS...
- One can connect several clients to stream.mp3 and have them operate completely individually as long as they have different ip-addresses.
- I think some phones allow for IP over bluetooth (DUN). With some bitrate limiting applied I think this could be used if you do not have wireless.
- The caching techniques on the stream.mp3 interface are pretty basic, so there will be a few seconds delay before actions performed in the web-interface can be heard.

I've attached a few pics showing the setup in its full working glory.

Thanks for looking,

Bjørn

bklaas
2007-10-16, 10:08
nice work! Since you put a lot of effort into writing up the HOWTO, may I recommend that you publish this to wiki.slimdevices.com? Stuff in the forum tends to disappear into the ether much quicker.

cheers,
#!/ben

peejay
2007-10-16, 22:52
I got this working with the Nokia N91 some time ago, same deal as the N95. Nice as a portable player when wandering around the house and the better half wants to watch television........
Nice write-up. It should go to the WIKI, I agree.

muski
2007-10-17, 22:37
Has anyone had any luck streaming to an iPhone? I tried the streaming URL in the iPhone Safari browser, but Quicktime doesn't seem to understand it. (Actually, the same problem occurs on a regular Mac running the Safari 3.0 beta browser). iTunes on a Mac will play a stream, but there is no equivalent functionality to open a stream on the iPhone iTunes app...

muski

P.S. I'm sure this will be addressed by a third-party app when the iPhone/iTouch SDK is released in February.

dwc
2007-10-18, 14:47
I don't think blackberrys support streaming audio yet either, but if anyone finds an app please post a link!

Thanks,
Dan

patatorz
2007-10-31, 04:13
2. Create a playlist file 'playlist.pls' and place either on phone memory (c:/Shoutcast/playlist.pls) or memory card (e:/Shoutcast/playlist.pls). The contents of playlist.pls should be something like:

[playlist]
NumberOfEntries=1
File1=http://slimserver-ip:9000/stream.mp3
Title1=Slimserver
Length=-1

NumberOfEntries=1
Version=2

3. Open the "Internet Radio" application. It can be found in the 'Programs' folder of the phone. Choose the 'Slimserver' station from the station menu (make sure the program is in internet radio - mode). The phone should query for a data connection to use. Choose the wireless. Otherwise refer to the phone manual for this. NOTE 1: Streaming requires quite a lot of data, so unless you're on some kind of flatrate subscrition do NOT choose GPRS or 3G. NOTE 2: Data transfer starts immediately upon connection to slimserver regardless of whether a track has been started. See note at the end.

Hello Bjørn,

I have some difficulties with the point 2. In fact I have no "Shoutcast" directory either on C: or E:. So I create one on E:/Shoutcast/Playlist/Playlist.pls as you mentionned in point 2.
When I try to start Internet Radio it does not find "Slimserver Radio".

In fact on c: corresponding to phone memory I can only see the "data" directory. I'm not able to access to a root directory where the "shoutcast" directory should be.

I run a Nokia N95, do you have any solution for my problem ?

Best regards

Patatorz

bhaagensen
2007-10-31, 04:55
Hello Bjørn,

I have some difficulties with the point 2. In fact I have no "Shoutcast" directory either on C: or E:. So I create one on E:/Shoutcast/Playlist/Playlist.pls as you mentionned in point 2.
When I try to start Internet Radio it does not find "Slimserver Radio".

I think you added a directory too much. It should be 'E:/Shoutcast/playlist.pls'. (I'm not sure whether case matters, but this is the way I did it.)

In fact on c: corresponding to phone memory I can only see the "data" directory. I'm not able to access to a root directory where the "shoutcast" directory should be.

I think this is due to the way you access the phone. Nokia's software will (probably) only access the "data"-directory since this is where the user data (pictures, audio, video etc) is. The rest on c: is system stuff.

There are also various 3rd party filebrowsers for the N95 which lets you browse all contents of c:. But you should take care not to mess with the files on c: as they can be important for the phone to work.

What I did was to use the memory card and an external card reader to create E:/Shoutcast/playlist.pls.

Hope this helps.

Bjørn

bjerngaard
2007-11-01, 14:35
Even without a mansion this is pretty cool! Thanks for the howto, Bjørn.

I got it somewhat working but yet without audio: It is quite weird actually. The title of the song shows in the webradio application, and sometimes it says 'Buffering'. Also in the bottom the 'Link' and 'Buf' numbers fluctuate and in the lower left corner the number of MB increases steadily. But there is no audio??

I can choose other webradio stations that works fine.

A few hints:
- In version 1.05 of the webradio application I had a file on called shoutcast.pls in the shoutcast directory. Adding a referral to SlimServer in the same format as the other entries makes it pop up in the webradio station list. Remember to also increase 'noOfEntries'.
- To edit the 'shoutcast.pls' file just mount your N95 (or other Symbian phone) as USB mass storage (data transfer mode) and go to the shoutcast directory on the micro SD card. I guess the shoutcast directory is only on the micro SD card if you selected to install the webradio application on the SD card.
- Holding down the 'Symbian menu key' (the big one to the left of the 'navigator key') will show a list of running programs. That is pretty handy when switching back and forth between the webradio application and the internet browser.
- Test Mundu radio if you like: http://radio.mundu.com . I had some problems with editing the list of radio stations but you might be more lucky.

~Rasmus

bjerngaard
2007-11-01, 14:45
The reason for no audio before seems to be that I was streaming ogg vorbis. Funny that no error popped, just no audio.

Anyway, now it works!

Or at least mostly works. It is a bit fleaky when switching back and forth between songs. Sometimes the stream has to be restarted in the webradio application. Also I haven't found a way to control the volume.

Next step might be getting a OpenMoko phone (based open source SW and HW) and use SlimServer with that...

Thanks a lot for the help!
Rasmus

bhaagensen
2007-11-01, 15:17
The reason for no audio before seems to be that I was streaming ogg vorbis. Funny that no error popped, just no audio.

Hm, its working with flac, mp3 and ogg vorbis for me. I'm assuming the server transcodes everything to mp3, but I never looked into this since its working for me.

Or at least mostly works. It is a bit fleaky when switching back and forth between songs. Sometimes the stream has to be restarted in the webradio application. Also I haven't found a way to control the volume.

Ah, regarding volume, I scratched my head for a while on that one, but volume can be controlled with the four-way controller. It only works from within "Internet Radio". The streaming itself works remarkably reliable for me. Perhaps you should transcode to a lower bitrate and/or check how well your wireless connection works?

Next step might be getting a OpenMoko phone (based open source W and HW) and use SlimServer with that...

Yeah, I'm waiting for that too. I'll probably keep the N95 as long as possible. I think it is a wicked phone (despite its many flaws). But my next phone will hopefully be OpenMoko based.

Bjørn

yashrg
2007-11-13, 17:36
I can't get this to work. I get the error saying could not recieve shoutcast response -25 or something to that effect. what is missing here? my phone is a nokia E60

oktup
2007-11-15, 03:15
Hi,
What this does: Streams from slimserver over WLAN to a Nokia N95. Playback is controlled using the N95 builtin browser and the special 'handheld' skin. The instructions are N95 specific, but I'll comment a bit on that at the end.

Hi Bjørn

This is v cool! I've got an N95 too, and tried investigating this a while ago, and didn't really get anywhere with it. So it's great to see you've managed to get it working.

A couple of questions:

1. How does it affect battery life? How long have you managed to get out if it when doing this?

2. Have you tried streaming it over 3G, as well as WLAN? If so, how does *that* affect battery life? Was the playback OK?

3. Do you have any thoughts on the old 'radiation channelled through your headphones and destroys your brain' theory? I must admit I've been mildly concerned about this, even to the extent of switching to the Offline profile when listening to mp3s on the phone for a prolonged period of time! Perhaps I'm just a coward ;)

4. I've tried using the handheld skin via the N95 a few times, and have noticed that it never seems to finish loading the page - ie, although it seems to be fully rendered, the progress bar never completes. Have you noticed anything like this? Maybe it's just a quirk of my server...

Anyway, any thoughts would be great, thanks a lot.

bhaagensen
2007-11-15, 13:18
I can't get this to work. I get the error saying could not recieve shoutcast response -25 or something to that effect. what is missing here? my phone is a nokia E60

Sorry I don't know what -25 means. Can you get other shoutcast stations to work? If so the problem is probably related to your slimserver/phone connection. If not the problem could be relate to the internet radio application and your phone.

Bjørn

bhaagensen
2007-11-15, 14:08
This is v cool!

Yes it is :)

1. How does it affect battery life? How long have you managed to get out if it when doing this?

I haven't tried running it for longer periods, so I really don't know.

2. Have you tried streaming it over 3G, as well as WLAN? If so, how does *that* affect battery life? Was the playback OK?

I tried briefly, at home, over 3G with bitrate limiting set to 128. Playback was fine. But on my route from home to work I know from experience that the quality of the data connection fluctuates alot, so in that case I don't think it would work very well. Again battery life, ???

3. Do you have any thoughts on the old 'radiation channelled through your headphones and destroys your brain' theory? I must admit I've been mildly concerned about this, even to the extent of switching to the Offline profile when listening to mp3s on the phone for a prolonged period of time! Perhaps I'm just a coward ;)

Very cowardish, there is nothing like a bit of radiation induced brain damage and self-illuminating skin when it comes to separating the brave from the faint hearted :) But no I haven't. I sort of used, but I think I got overwhelmed by the fact that I basically spend 24-7-365 drowned in WLAN's, bluetooth, and mobile-networks all nicely packed up in whatever all the rest of the consumer electronics jungle emits. I do use the headphones instead of the handset as much as possible when talking though...

4. I've tried using the handheld skin via the N95 a few times, and have noticed that it never seems to finish loading the page - ie, although it seems to be fully rendered, the progress bar never completes. Have you noticed anything like this? Maybe it's just a quirk of my server...

I've never seen that. The status page reloads regularly at preset intervals, but it always finishes loading, in the sense that the progress bar disappears. I'm using the builtin browser by the way.

Bjørn

yashrg
2007-11-16, 13:43
Sorry I don't know what -25 means. Can you get other shoutcast stations to work? If so the problem is probably related to your slimserver/phone connection. If not the problem could be relate to the internet radio application and your phone.

Bjørn

well, it turns out, with that text in the playlist file, it tried to connect to
http://slimserver-ip:9000/stream.mp3/ instead of http://slimserver-ip:9000/stream.mp3 I don't know why. I just copied and pasted it exactly as it was.

Thomsen
2008-02-01, 08:32
Strange, I just downloaded Nokia Internet radio but there is no "Add" in the menu.

bhaagensen
2008-02-01, 15:24
Strange, I just downloaded Nokia Internet radio but there is no "Add" in the menu.

Did you download from the link in the first post? On mine it is in Options > Add staion manually.

hunta
2008-02-01, 16:33
I go this working on my new Nokia 95 8GB straight off, just followed the instructions given.

Might even be able to convince the missus that it's saved the price of a new player.

Genius!

rbz5416
2008-02-10, 04:07
Might be worth trying the Nokia 770 skin rather than Handheld & see how that looks on the N95. It's customised for widescreen but worth a look.

server.ip.address:9000/Nokia770/

Or better still, if the N95 supports Java, try Sofsqueeze which will do away with the need for running the stream separately.

server.ip.address:9000/html/softsqueeze/applet.html

Prefix with http://

hunta
2008-02-10, 13:20
Or better still, if the N95 supports Java, try Sofsqueeze which will do away with the need for running the stream separately.

I think it does... Interesting.

Sorry, I'm going to need a bit of help working out how to install Softsqueeze on the N95! Any pointers from anyone?

bhaagensen
2008-02-10, 14:52
Might be worth trying the Nokia 770 skin rather than Handheld & see how that looks on the N95. It's customised for widescreen but worth a look.

server.ip.address:9000/Nokia770/

I tried it once and it didn't work wonders. Basically it's too slow, and the n95 screen is far to small for the design. Maybe it could be rescaled.

More interesting could be the iPeng-skin for the iPhone/Ipod touch. The reasoning is that both the Apple browsers and the n95 browser is based on the same backend, webkit. And it sort of works, but not really...

Bjørn

bhaagensen
2008-02-10, 14:55

I don't think Java programs will run on Java ME without modifications.

Bjørn

dsjovik
2008-11-23, 18:21
Hi and thx for the howto.
The stream works very nice with my Nokia E51 and I use Opera Mini for managing the SqueezeCenter.

Can I set a fixed IP for my mobile so that I dont have to change the playlist every time I move from one location to another?

dsjovik

HydeTheDarkerSide
2008-11-25, 04:13
Following the execellent instructions in this thread I had my N95 performing nicely at the weekend. But just tried it today and Nokia Internet Radio just says 'Loading' and times out, nor can I get a connection through the browser with http://server:9000/handheld

The basic setup of WHS and my 3 classics plus a duet all work fine at home and I can use IE on my laptop with http://server:9000 just fine.

Any ideas on what could have changed in the meantime that prevents me getting access?

I've not changed anything on the WHS or my router since getting it all to work over the weekend. I can still connect to my WHS with the N95, just not kick SC into stream mode, or indeed get the application to connect in my N95 browser.

Confused :-??

Ah hang on. I had 3 new players in SC at the weekend, two of which I told SC to ignore in an effort to 'delete' them. The other I prefixed the name with 'N95'. Is there a possibility that my N95 today has an IP that matches one of the ones I told SC to ignore at the weekend? If so does anyone know how I can...

1. Tell SC to stop ignoring a player.
2. Have a static IP assigned to my N95
or
2a. A method of actually deleting players in SC rather than telling SC to ignore them

TurnipMan
2008-11-25, 06:02
Can your router do a static DHCP reservation or whatever it's called. Your phone will always get the same IP address then.
Tom

HydeTheDarkerSide
2008-11-25, 07:23
It can, I'll give that a go. I'll need to find out the phones mac address first.

Only niggle I have (being a network plonker) is how my router would 'see' the phone when it sits physically beyond the wireless range of my router?

So my phone would be initiating a connection with an IP assigned it by the phone network provider wouldn't it?

HydeTheDarkerSide
2008-11-26, 15:25
Turns out that my router hadn't stored the port forwarding values into flash, Do'h! All corrected and running fine again. Thanks for all the responses.

Cheers
Hyde

indifference_engine
2009-01-13, 10:18
On my brand spanking new N79 squeezecenter works without problem over wi-fi (don't live in a 3G area so can't try that). Internet radio app is included so it works out of the box. I use the handheld skin to control it all.

What would be really cool is a port of SqueezePlay onto Symbian, thus turning an S60 phone into a SBC clone! Really nice interface, no need to launch two apps, cover art etc... C'mon!

Furry
2009-01-13, 12:39
Hi and thx for the howto.
The stream works very nice with my Nokia E51 and I use Opera Mini for managing the SqueezeCenter.

Can I set a fixed IP for my mobile so that I dont have to change the playlist every time I move from one location to another?

dsjovik

I get 'Unable to connect to station!'

Any ideas, anyone?

TIA,
Dave

gelb
2009-06-09, 06:13
Hi alltogether,

thanks for the Howto. I figured this out by myself.

My Slimserver 7.3.2 on Ubuntu works fine and the stream.mp3 is reachable via a winamp applikation from within the same WLAN subnet as the Nokia E71.

I tried to connect to a manually added Station via the Internet Radio Applikation which comes with the Nokia E71. "Connection not Possible"

I installed "S60 Internet Radio" and created 2 Playlist files. One slimserver.pls as it is mentioned in this thread. The other is an odd m3u file. Both times the Application answers directly with "Playinit Error=-5"

Putting the Files to the existing Shoutcast Directory (c:\DATA\Shoutcast) makes no difference. They have to be located within C:\Shoutcast or E:\Shoutcast. By this the station could be opened. But again "Error connecting to server.Could not connect to server. Err=-28"

During the tests my Nokia was online connected with the Browser to my http://slimserver:9000/handheld - no problems that way.

My Problem is to get the Stream on the Run. Anyone any idea?

Thanks a lot, regards, gelb

ps. Nokia E71-1 (04) Firmware is at 210.21.006

gelb
2009-08-27, 02:48
My Problem is to get the Stream on the Run. Anyone any idea?

Okay, Solution is simple:

Disable the Password Protection Squeezecenter Security Feature. :-( Not as I like this, but by this it works.
(Could be found under Settings -> Advanced -> Security)

greets, gelb

pippin
2009-08-27, 02:58
Okay, Solution is simple:

Disable the Password Protection Squeezecenter Security Feature. :-( Not as I like this, but by this it works.
(Could be found under Settings -> Advanced -> Security)

greets, gelb

For a remote access this is an extremele, extremely bad idea. Somebody else could, for example, enable it :-)

gelb
2009-08-27, 04:04
For a remote access this is an extremele, extremely bad idea. Somebody else could, for example, enable it :-)

You are totally right, but otherwise it does not work. :-(

it also does not work with the login data within the url like http://user:pass@myhost.mydomain:9000/stream.mp3

but this is a nokia feature :-( - winamp has no problems with this url-notation...

regards, gelb