PDA

View Full Version : Turning the wireless radio off - impossible?

mattias
2007-10-15, 17:46
Hi all!

Is there any way to shut the wireless radio off totaly?
I'm using ethernet cables in my house and just noticed that my boxes (both v2 and v3) keep sending wireless signals even though i'm not using that option. I would really like to disable the wireless radio when using ethernet.

Thanks
/Mattias

SuperQ
2007-10-15, 21:23
Hi all!

Is there any way to shut the wireless radio off totaly?
I'm using ethernet cables in my house and just noticed that my boxes (both v2 and v3) keep sending wireless signals even though i'm not using that option. I would really like to disable the wireless radio when using ethernet.

Thanks
/Mattias

They shouldn't be. The card is disabled when in ethernet mode. How are you seeing the signals?

JimC
2007-10-15, 23:13
They shouldn't be. The card is disabled when in ethernet mode. How are you seeing the signals?

The card would be disabled... unless he's set up the Squeezebox to work as a wireless bridge.

Mattais, can you go back into network set up (hold the left arrow until the networking menu appears) and double-check that the Wireless Bridge option is set to NO? If that's disabled, and the SB3 is connected via ethernet, the WiFi card should be turned off.

-=> Jim

mattias
2007-10-16, 03:32
The card would be disabled... unless he's set up the Squeezebox to work as a wireless bridge.

Mattais, can you go back into network set up (hold the left arrow until the networking menu appears) and double-check that the Wireless Bridge option is set to NO? If that's disabled, and the SB3 is connected via ethernet, the WiFi card should be turned off.

-=> Jim

Hi guys. thanks for your help!

I am sure none of my boxes are in bridged mode.
I just happened to try Microsofts Network Monitor on my wifi enabled laptop and found packets looking like SB3 searching for SSIDs. I am not 100% sure but it sure looks like my SB's are transmitting and I'm at work right now so i'll have to investigate more later today. However..what confused me was that I sent a support question to Slimdevices support and got this answer:

Discussion Thread

Response (Anoop) 10/15/2007 03:39 PM
The only way to do this is to unplug the unit.

Customer (Mattias) 10/15/2007 02:35 PM
Hi!

I have several squeezeboxes both v.2 and v3
I want to know if it is possible to turn the wireless radio off so that it does not transmit anything at all.

I thought that using the ethernet port would disable the radio automatically but when sniffing I realized that the wireless interfaces are still transmitting.

thanks

What gives? Is it just my bad english? :)
/Mattias

EDIT:
I just went trough my collection of sb's and it seems one of them was a Squeezebox v1. Ofcourse that one is the one transmitting..so I guess you were all right,sb2 and sb3 disables wlan when ethernet connected. sb1 does not.

Sorry for wasting your time.

It still seems squeezebox support should read up on the capabilities of sb2 and sb3 though...