PDA

View Full Version : External Antenna

lsmithso
2007-10-15, 15:40
In the past I've had problems with wifi signal stength due to the location of the squeezebox and the construction of my house. I solved these by building a Pringles Cantenna and the SB wifi perfomance has been solid ever since.

However, the Jive remote doesn't see the wifi at all when in the same room as the SB. It works OK when parked next to the access point, so I'm sure the wifi setup is OK.

Is there any way to add an external antenna to the remote? There's a small hole at the top of the remote with what looks like an external antenna connector. Is that what its for? If so can anyone recommend a suitable external antenna?

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-15, 16:48
There's a small hole at the top of the remote with what looks like an external antenna connector. Is that what its for?

That's a headphone output, currently disabled.

Given the construction of the JHB (how do you take it apart? There are no screws) I'd say this is impossible.

dean
2007-10-15, 16:55
On Oct 15, 2007, at 4:48 PM, Mark Lanctot wrote:
> Given the construction of the JHB (how do you take it apart? There
> are
> no screws) I'd say this is impossible.
Not at all. There are four screws under the battery door, which is
hard, but not impossible to slide off.

That's all that holds the back on. Feel free to go in there, though
don't ask for your money back if you break it. :)

The antenna in there is a little chip antenna, and it doesn't work
very well. We're in the middle of redesigning the antenna to
improve wireless range. Stay tuned.

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-15, 17:04
Not at all. There are four screws under the battery door, which is
hard, but not impossible to slide off.

D'oh! As soon as I wrote the post I thought maybe I'd missed them hiding in there.

I haven't had to pull the battery for a while. Which actually means things are getting more stable.

Very cool! You may want to look at an FRS radio or a Garmin Rino for design ideas - just kidding.

tyler_durden
2007-10-15, 19:41
If you're having wi-fi range problems with the remote, try changing the channel on your router. I found that when my router was operating on the same channel as my neighbor's, wireless range (for my laptop and PDA) and performance were poor. Once I changed the channel, everything was fine.

Then, months later, I had problems that started suddenly and persisted for about a week until I discovered that my neighbor set up a linksys router and left the default SSID name ("linksys") as I did. Don't use the default name if you broadcast the SSID! You may find 3 or 4 of your neighbors have systems with the same SSID if you live in an apartment.

TD

lsmithso
2007-10-16, 12:39

Will there be any way to upgrade my remote with the new antenna? It would be a shame to end up with an unusable remote while the SB is perfectly servicable.

mvalera
2007-10-18, 15:17
An upgrade won't be possible, but if you're extra nice you might get an updated one when they are ready. ;)

Mike