PDA

View Full Version : First experiences with the remote

gerph
2007-10-15, 15:37
Hiya,

My JHB arrived today. So here's my first experiences with it.

Firstly I was excited to get a Lua book with it; that's cute and I can't use the excuse that I don't know Lua 'cos I don't have any incentive to learn. That's nice.

Secondly, the feel of the remote is pretty good; it's a decent weight without being heavy, doesn't feel cheap and for a beta of hardware that may never go anywhere it's pretty good looking and solid and ... well it looks like a product. The very first thing that I coo'd at when I inserted the battery was that it had a speaker. Clearly I'd missed that on the specs and hadn't understood what people meant by 'rat-tat-tat-tat'.

Now, using it...

Entering a WPA password is tedious. It's not obvious how to correct mistakes and if you went back out of the settings by accident you have to enter the password again. That's frustrating. But only needs to be done once.

Next, I tried to choose the player to use. No options.

I tried going to the SlimServers menu option to find the servers and it did seem to know that the server was on 192.168.0.100 but not the version ("Version: " was all it said). I got frustrated with this and decided to ensure it had the latest firmware - one download and an scp later and I'd got the latest firmware installed (that's a little techy to do, but not a problem - realising that I didn't actually need an SD card inserted to do the firmware upgrade too me a minute or two).

Latest firmware installed and the device rebooted, I tried again. No, still no player offered to me.

Ok, so reboot the server. Make sure I've killed off the mysqld's that still seem to be running, update the server I was using from yesterday afternoon's to the most recent with an 'svn update' and restart it.

This seemed to work. I can't offer any more specific suggestion as to what went wrong with my setup.

In the bedroom here I seem to get a very low signal, 1-bar on the remote. The squeezebox is in the same room and it gets 70% signal, seemingly. Moving the remote upstairs to where the wireless AP lives doesn't seem to improve it.

Ok, now the server I'm running on is a 500Mhz PIII running Debian Linux (current stable version), so I expect the delivery of some data (like images) to be a little slow. It is a little slow at times; some selections do take a long time. I don't know whether that's the low wireless signal or the server. Or both. Eventually I'll move the AP closer to the player and remote so I'll know better.

I'm not certain that the album art is working properly though. Some albums just don't come up with art for no apparent reason.

I've just scrolled through my Artists list on the remote and I've got (in this order) :

Caravan
The Cardigans
Carissa's Wierd
Carl Palmer
Carly Simon
Various Artists
Carpenters
The Cars

Yes, Various Artists just inserted in the middle at random.

Trying to spin down through hundreds of Artists from A, to find Pink Floyd is ... frustrating - this is where Lazy Search wins on the regular remote.

Despite my applying a patch to list albums by year on the Squeezebox (bug #112) and selecting 'Show year with album' in the configuration, the remote doesn't do either. Albums are seemingly sorted by name - I may have to work something out for that, and the year isn't shown at all.

Whilst I'm playing with it, the remote is currently showing no signal - the blob plus 3 signal lines are all grey. And yet I'm using it.

In the Now Playing screen which it frequently shows (I've got the latest firmware installed, which I downloaded earlier as I mentioned) the top left corner shows an odd break in the image. I'm hoping that this is visible to others; basically there is a gap in the grey background just above the first upright on the N. It looks like the top left corner piece has been placed about 2 picsels too far left. The bottom right corner of the grey border has a similar misplacement I think.

Whilst it's just been sitting here on my lap and I've been typing this, it's just rebooted itself (went black then to the Logitech logo). I pressed and held the home button to turn it off. Then I pressed it again after a moment or two to turn it back on. It rebooted to the logo and then that vanished and the lights on the buttons lit up. They flashed a few times (sorry I didn't see what the pattern was or how many flashes there were if that was some kind of diagnostic) so I turned it off by holding the home button again.

Pressed home again to turn it on. The logo appears and now the keypad lights are on full bright but nothing is appearing on the display.

Finally I pressed and held Home again to turn it off. Now it won't turn on. So I've removed and replaced the battery. The lights just stay on now. No display on the screen.

Now I'm very sad because it's stopped working and it was being so nice. I'll take any suggestions at this point.

hickinbottoms
2007-10-16, 00:32
I believe this particular issue might be:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5764

The test will be whether that's the same order you see through the web
UI. If so then it's not a problem with the Jive software.

As for the 'failure' of the device - are you sure it's sufficiently charged?

Stuart

gerph wrote:
> I've just scrolled through my Artists list on the remote and I've got
> (in this order) :
>
> Caravan
> The Cardigans
> Carissa's Wierd
> Carl Palmer
> Carly Simon
> Various Artists
> Carpenters
> The Cars
>
> Yes, Various Artists just inserted in the middle at random.
>
>

gerph
2007-10-16, 01:17
I believe this particular issue might be:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5764

The test will be whether that's the same order you see through the web
UI. If so then it's not a problem with the Jive software.

I'm pretty sure this isn't related to that bug; one of the things I ensure about my music is that all ID3v2 tags are stripped from the files. However to answer this completely... (cut and pasted from the web interface) :

Capercaillie
Caravan
The Cardigans
Carissa's Wierd
Carl Palmer
Carly Simon
Carole King
Carpenters
The Cars
Carter USM

Note the complete absence of Various Artists. (Various Artists was listed at the top of the page, but I think that's normal).

(whilst I try to strip ID3v2 tags, I may have missed one, though, so I'm not 100% certain that it's not that bug)

As for the 'failure' of the device - are you sure it's sufficiently charged?

Well this was my thought having seen a similar thread, so I left it on the charger all night. This morning, it doesn't respond when I press the home key. It doesn't respond to any presses, in fact.

Removing and reinserting the battery makes the lights flash very briefly (so briefly that I did it a couple of times because I wasn't sure my eyes weren't playing tricks an my imagining it), and then nothing happens.

rtitmuss
2007-10-16, 01:57
Removing and reinserting the battery makes the lights flash very briefly (so briefly that I did it a couple of times because I wasn't sure my eyes weren't playing tricks an my imagining it), and then nothing happens.

Hmm, that does sound like a flat battery. Could you double check the cradle is plugged in correctly, etc.

gerph
2007-10-16, 12:29
Hmm, that does sound like a flat battery. Could you double check the cradle is plugged in correctly, etc.

I'm glad that someone else thinks that's a likely possibility.

I've double checked, unplugged replugged in and left it again and nothing.

I came home this evening and removing the battery and replacing it doesn't even flash the lights so I'm very inclined to believe that it's a charging problem. I don't have a multi-meter here, so I may have to pop out and buy one tomorrow to see whether the cradle is actually getting any power. Then maybe whether the battery is...

Any other suggestions would be gratefully received, though.

rtitmuss
2007-10-16, 12:41
Jive should turn on even without the battery if you put it in the cradle. If not you do need to check if the cradle has power.

gerph
2007-10-16, 13:30
Jive should turn on even without the battery if you put it in the cradle. If not you do need to check if the cradle has power.

Right that narrows it quite a bit, thanks for that :-) I'll get myself a multimeter tomorrow, if I can find one in town, and see whether it should be charging.

iwp
2007-10-16, 13:40
Hi all,

Just to pollute this thread with my first experiences, rather than start a new thread... Unfortunately this is going to be a bit rambling.

I received mine yesterday (thanks Slimmitech!). Rather than upgrade my dedicated SlimServer (6.5.4) to v7, I installed SqueezeCenter v7 on a separate PC and configured a SB2 to use it. All initially seemed good, but when I actually played a track it would stop after 20-30secs or so. After a while of fiddling I connected the SB2 back to the 'old' SlimServer... and the same problem continued! Fearing the worst (had one of the firmware updates somehow broken my SB2?) I connected back to the 'new' SqueezeCenter, and still only rarely got more than 40 secs into a track. Eventually it seemed to sort itself out - I left it not playing for about half an hour while looking through logs, scanning the forums etc. and when I tried again it was working. By this time I had turned the dedicated SlimServer PC off, and haven't had the problem since.

This of course doesn't feel like a JHB problem (though I thought it was for quite a while) - but is there any way that two SlimServers on the same network could fight with each other? Or perhaps some state in the SB2 could carry over across a firmware update? When it cut out, the SS6.5 logs contain:

2007-10-15 20:59:05.1841 Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Player::Source::errorOpening (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Player/Squeezebox2.pm line 579)
frame 1: Slim::Player::Squeezebox2::failedDirectStream (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Networking/Slimproto.pm line 527)
frame 2: Slim::Networking::Slimproto::_disco_handler (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Networking/Slimproto.pm line 387)
frame 3: Slim::Networking::Slimproto::client_readable (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Networking/Select.pm line 238)
frame 4: (eval) (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Networking/Select.pm line 238)
frame 5: Slim::Networking::Select::select (/usr/sbin/slimserver line 499)
frame 6: main::idle (/usr/sbin/slimserver line 452)
frame 7: main::main (/usr/sbin/slimserver line 1076)

... with a similar stacktrace for the cutouts under SCv7. The display reports "Connection reset by remote host". My two other SB3s (which stayed attached to the SSv6.5) weren't affected by this. If this is recreatable when I turn my dedicated server back on, then I'll start raising bugs...

Now, for a while I thought this problem was caused by the presence of a JHB on the network. I noticed that powering on the JHB caused the Squeezeboxes (even those still connected to the SSv6.5) to briefly freeze, go blank, and then recover. This seems to happen when the JHB startup chime sounds. Would this be expected/normal?

I've had various problems which were all frustratingly unpredictable and unrecreatable. Today it automatically prompted me to upgrade the firmware (to r696) and now it seems to be much more reliable.

I'm using the JHB in a room where wireless strength is low, but usually ok. The JHB works well there - but only if it was switched on somewhere with a stronger signal. If I switch it on in the area with minimal signal, it drops into an error state where it happily controls the player (pause/play, select track etc.) but does not show me the player's status (so no Now Playing, no status update when it changes track etc.) It may just sort itself out after maybe 15 mins or so, but I'm not certain of that. So I'd agree with the couple of posts that suggest it doesn't cope too gracefully with a weak wireless signal.

Would you like a bug raised for that? I think it's been the cause of all of the unpredictable behaviour problems I had.

Okay, that's the ramble out the way. Now I can use it reliably, some early observations:
- The "I've been picked up" logic can afford to be a tad less sensitive. I have a bad habit of drumming along on the desk, and that's enough to wake it up! It has also woken up just as I was reaching for it, which was very spooky...
- I've set a not-playing screensaver, the analog clock. Should it come out of the screensaver when I pick it up? Put another way, what's the point of a screensaver when it's going to go dark anyway? The analog clock is nice, btw.
- I found the default 10sec delay before switching to the screensaver too short, and set it to 30sec.
- The display looks great, really bright and pretty.
- The scroll wheel rocks! In a bad way, unfortunately: it wobbles a little if you apply pressure to one side. This gives it a slightly cheap feel to me.
- Otherwise the hardware looks nice and solid; the backlight is particularly effective.

That's enough for now. The inclusion of the Lua manual is a nice touch. But dead-tree manual? Aw, how quaint - I thought they'd gone the way of the CD!

Thanks guys,

Ian

gerph
2007-10-17, 10:36
Right that narrows it quite a bit, thanks for that :-) I'll get myself a multimeter tomorrow, if I can find one in town, and see whether it should be charging.

Ok, so I wandered over to Wickes today and bought myself a 'Digital Mini Electric Test Meter' - usually hardware hates me so I didn't already have one.

Using this on the 20V DC setting whilst pressing down the two contacts in the cradle with the probes... shows 0.00. It is a slightly awkward thing to do, so I tried quite a few times - placing the probes at the back and pushing them forwards to cause the contacts to go down.

This in mind, I unplugged the adapter, slid off the removeable 3 prong socket (I'm in the UK), and carefully replaced the 3 prong connector into the socket - leaving the two metal contacts visible and the plug live. Setting the meter to the 500V AC setting, touching these two pads gives me a near steady reading of 233 - which is kinda what I'd expect.

Putting the plug back together, I notice that one of the connector prongs is not sitting straight; it's bend toward the cable part of the device. I'm not generally that clumsy with electrical things and I don't think I bent it myself.

Attempting to bend it back with my fingers is not working, and I don't want to put much more force on it than that because a) I might break it and b) there might be a better solution that someone at logitech can suggest :-(

Ok... so I tried a little harder and pushed it a bit more and there was a little 'click' which ... worried me... and then it looked a lot more like the other prong. Putting the adapter back together again and then measuring the prongs on the cradle showed non-0 voltage, so I've placed the remote on the cradle now and it's started up.

I honestly don't know if I was heavy handed with the slide-on connector when I put it together. I'm not a strong person and I don't tend to force things if they won't go (the above statement about pushing it to a click excepted :-) ) so I don't think so but maybe being all excited I bent did over push it.

I hope that this is good feedback for Logitech. The things I would take away from this are...

... that the plug connector is a little more breakable than I'd have hoped for - I am surprised I could exert enough force to bend it in the first place, but glad that I could bend it back :-)

... that there need to be some words for trouble shooting to say that if the device doesn't seem to start and you think the battery is dead then putting it on the cradle should allow it to work - even if there is no battery (so it was said in reply on here)

... that the battery 'full' marker may not be accurate just yet :-)