PDA

View Full Version : No serial adapter or SD card in BDK?

mflint
2007-10-15, 07:52
Hi all,

Is there a cunning reason why serial adapters and SD cards are no longer part of the Beta Dev Kit? I'd have thought they'd still be pretty useful...

Cheers,
Matthew

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-15, 08:14
"No longer"?

Were they ever?

andyg
2007-10-15, 08:17
On Oct 15, 2007, at 10:52 AM, mflint wrote:

>
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a cunning reason why serial adapters and SD cards are no
> longer part of the Beta Dev Kit? I'd have thought they'd still be
> pretty useful...

Well, if you already have a serial board and an SD card, you don't
need extras. :)

greebowarrior
2007-10-15, 08:20
apparently, yes

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?JiveBDK

"Only In BDK

* Jive Hardware Platform connector serial-DB9 adapter (printed circuit board with components)
* Keyspan 19HS serial DB9-USB adapter. Download a driver for this device from here: http://www.keyspan.com/downloads/homepage_pn_usa19hs.spml
* DB9 male-female adapter
* Kingston 1GB SD card
* "Programming in Lua" by Roberto Ierusalimsch"

i was wondering about this when mine arrive this morning. i got the jive, and the programming in lua book, but nothing else

greebowarrior
2007-10-15, 08:23
On Oct 15, 2007, at 10:52 AM, mflint wrote:

>
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a cunning reason why serial adapters and SD cards are no
> longer part of the Beta Dev Kit? I'd have thought they'd still be
> pretty useful...

Well, if you already have a serial board and an SD card, you don't
need extras. :)

but i dont have the serial board, or SD card, but i have a book :S

rtitmuss
2007-10-15, 08:36

The serial board/SD card are most useful for kernel and low level application debugging. If your will be writing lua applets then you should be ok using ssh to access Jive.

If you feel that you need to use the serial board and SD card then email Mickey, he should be able to sort you out.

peterw
2007-10-15, 10:28
The serial board/SD card are most useful for kernel and low level application debugging. If your will be writing lua applets then you should be ok using ssh to access Jive.

If you feel that you need to use the serial board and SD card then email Mickey, he should be able to sort you out.

Aww, man! I was looking forward to the Keyspan adapter not only for JHB, but so I could actually connect my X-10 Firecracker to my Windows machine and better test the Windows release of BottleRocket!

Darn you, gift horse!

:-)

sdonham
2007-10-15, 10:29

How is that book anyway? I've been using the online docs for LUA, but I always do much better with a dog-eared, post-it note laden book. I'm tempted to buy it from amazon... (unless someone wants to sell me their used copy?)