PDA

View Full Version : Powered speakers or midi system?

davejsb
2007-10-14, 15:43
Heya all,

I've recently invested in my now loved SB3. Needless to say it's possibly the best gadget related purchase I've ever made!

Anyway, at the moment I have it running through an aged and underused cheapo Acoustic Solutions SP101 system which I picked up on a whim in Argos a couple of years ago...

It works fine, obviously, but there's a distinct lack of bass (probably due to the nature of the best) and the amp takes up far too much room in the limited room space I have.

The system is used in my bedroom which measures 5m by 5m.

So, I'm caught between purchasing some Acoustic Energy Aego M 2.1 powered speakers (I already use a set for my PC and they're superb - and the SB3 sounds brilliant through them) and some sort of midi hi-fi system - probably either the Onkyo CR515DAB or Denon DM35DAB with some quality bookshelf speakers (possibly Q Acoustic 1010's).

I'm basically in search of the best sound, but with a keen eye on cost and space taken.

Could anyone offer any advice please as to which route is the best one to take?

I realise neither option satisfies audiophilia by the way, I just don't have the money, or space, or requirement really, for a more advanced setup.

Cheers in advance to you all :)

pfarrell
2007-10-14, 15:50
davejsb wrote:
> I realise neither option satisfies audiophilia by the way, I just don't
> have the money, or space, or requirement really, for a more advanced
> setup.

I tend to like powered speakers when space and money is a consideration.
The engineers can match the needs of the speaker to the amp.

You can spend as much or as little as you want on powered speakers, from
small computer oriented ones, to studio monitors like the Mackie 828 on
up to monster Meridians.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

davejsb
2007-10-14, 16:11
Cheers for your kind reply :)

I was certainly impressed with how the SB3 sounded when rigged up to my Aego M 2.1's and that's certainly the cheapest way to solve the dilemma :)

pablolie
2007-10-14, 19:38
Cheers for your kind reply :)

I was certainly impressed with how the SB3 sounded when rigged up to my Aego M 2.1's and that's certainly the cheapest way to solve the dilemma :)

Also check out

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=235097&postcount=672

I have become a huge fan, and as rule I am rather snobbish about the merits of my main system. :-)

egd
2007-10-14, 20:20
I'm caught between purchasing some Acoustic Energy Aego M 2.1 powered speakers (I already use a set for my PC and they're superb - and the SB3 sounds brilliant through them) and some sort of midi hi-fi system

I use SB3->Aego M's in my bedroom & study & don't think you could get a better price/ performance option. IMHO no point spending more for a bedroom system

haunyack
2007-10-14, 21:20
IMHO no point spending more for a bedroom system

Unless your significant other is extremely attractive.

Ooh.

;-)

egd
2007-10-14, 22:45
Unless your significant other is extremely attractive.

In which case, one makes one's own music...and buys the Aego M's 9 months later when one finds oneself sleeping in the other room... :/

Empgamer
2007-10-15, 03:17
I have the Audioengine A5s. Excellent speakers. They are in a large kitchen though and give plenty of sound. I'd likely consider the Aego Ms for smaller rooms though. I have to say I'm just not that keen on 2.1 sets.

egd
2007-10-15, 03:54
I have the Audioengine A5s. Excellent speakers. They are in a large kitchen though and give plenty of sound. I'd likely consider the Aego Ms for smaller rooms though. I have to say I'm just not that keen on 2.1 sets.

I'm surprised you find the A5s better suited to a larger room. AFAIK the Aego M's are rated 90W RMS whilst the Audioengine A5s are rated 45W RMS?

davejsb
2007-10-15, 15:15
Cheers for all of the great replies and advice :)

After some thinking, I've plumped for another set of Aego's which are arriving tomorrow.

Now I'm debating whether to shell out for a TS-109 NAS ;)

egd
2007-10-16, 05:16
Now I'm debating whether to shell out for a TS-109 NAS ;)

Have a look at the Thecus N5200PRO. A TS-109 would in my view be hopelessly underpowered unless you had a tiny collection. If it must be a QNAP, consider the TS-401T, but even then you're still 1GHZ slower than the N5200PRO.

davejsb
2007-10-16, 12:06
Excellent, thanks for the kind advice :D

Empgamer
2007-10-18, 03:32
From my understanding both the AegoM and A5s are rated the same. 90W total system for the former, 45W per channel for the latter.

Depends what you are after with a NAS. For me, and it seems many others, the QNAP TS109 Pro works fine. I wanted a quiet system, with low power consumption, that will sleep and wake on demand from the SB, that could do many other things, had been subject of many good reviews and wasn't flaky when working with Slimserver. It works fine for me here ticking all those boxes. Not sure where the hopelessly underpowered comes from?

I did look at the Thecus but went with QNAP for a variety of reasons. The Thecus may well be more suited to your needs, but I wouldn't discount the QNAP until you have done some independent research on all the systems both on these and other AV forums and also the sites of the companies concerned. What may suit one user 100% may not suit another user at all.

pablolie
2007-10-18, 23:20
I'm surprised you find the A5s better suited to a larger room. AFAIK the Aego M's are rated 90W RMS whilst the Audioengine A5s are rated 45W RMS?

I have both of them in my temporary apartment. The AE5s as my main system in the living room, the Aego M's are the bedroom system.

In my opinion the AE5 deliver on the higher resolution musical experience - the Aego M's are great, but while they deliver on good and balanced (when bass is set to 1) sound, they don't deliver as much spacial resolution as the AE5s.

The AE5s are pretty amazing.

egd
2007-10-19, 03:53
I wanted a quiet system, with low power consumption, that will sleep and wake on demand from the SB, that could do many other things, had been subject of many good reviews and wasn't flaky when working with Slimserver.Ditto for the N5200PRO.

Not sure where the hopelessly underpowered comes from? I have a very large library, scanning it would take forever with a ~500mhz cpu in tow, and having owned two ReadyNAS NVs I would imagine the web interface on the QNAP would be similar, particularly if dealing with a large library.

I'm not knocking the QNAP, but you're right it wouldn't meet my needs.

egd
2007-10-19, 03:55
In my opinion the AE5 deliver on the higher resolution musical experience - the Aego M's are great, but while they deliver on good and balanced (when bass is set to 1) sound, they don't deliver as much spacial resolution as the AE5s. Good to know as I contemplated them over the Aego M's but couldn't look past the price differential.

Ian_F
2007-10-19, 05:23
A TS-109 would in my view be hopelessly underpowered unless you had a tiny collection. If it must be a QNAP, consider the TS-401T, but even then you're still 1GHZ slower than the N5200PRO.

What would you call a tiny collection?

Originally Posted by Empgamer
I wanted a quiet system, with low power consumption, that will sleep and wake on demand from the SB, that could do many other things, had been subject of many good reviews and wasn't flaky when working with Slimserver.

Ditto for the N5200PRO.

Does the N5200PRO go to sleep on idle and/or by schedule?
How many watts does it consume when awake/asleep?
Does it have a fan?

egd
2007-10-19, 16:38
What would you call a tiny collection? <=200 albums?

Does the N5200PRO go to sleep on idle and/or by schedule? I supports scheduled power on/ off and wakeup on LAN, so powering up your SB3/ Transporter can trigger the NAS

How many watts does it consume when awake/asleep?No idea, but I'd be surprised if it was much

Does it have a fan?Yes, it supports up to 5x drives so a fan is definitely necessary. Having said that it is quieter than either of my PCs and quiet enough not to interfere with listening in the study, which is where it is housed.

I've attached some screendumps for you to get a feel of functionality.

egd
2007-10-19, 16:41
more screendumps

egd
2007-10-19, 16:52
raid configuration

Ian_F
2007-10-21, 02:15
I've attached some screendumps for you to get a feel of functionality.

Thanks for this egd, very useful stuff.

I settled on the QNAP since it better suits my needs for now. However, I do want to rip all my DVDs to disk and so something like the Thecus will be required to cope with the volume of data. That said, I read the other day that Hitatchi have worked out how to fit 4TB onto a single drive so perhaps I'll put my plans on hold until they come out.

Decisions, decisions.....

Empgamer
2007-10-22, 05:14
Now being the owner of a set of A5s and a set of Aego Ms (with two SB3s) I have to say that I do find that the Aego M suit me more in a room where less power/oomph is needed. The A5s are a lot punchier IMO, as pablolie suggests.

Only thing I MAY consider for when we have parties is a separate amp and even beefier speakers for the SB3, using the monitor speakers for more refined listening ;-)

Must admit I'm very happy with the TS109 having taken advice of another user on it. Only thing I may contemplate something more powerful for is if I planned to use the web interface with Slim Sever a lot more (where I suspect it's power might give it the edge on refresh times) or if I want to do a lot more with it than just have it as a music server. Power consumption, sleep and silence are VERY important to me though and for what it does, I find the QNAP excellent and couldn't really justify the extra spend on the Thecus (albeit that cost is not THAT much of an issue for me).

egd
2007-10-22, 06:47
Out of curiosity, how does the hard drive do in the QNAP, seeing as it is fanless - I presume it runs pretty hot?

holmsn
2007-10-23, 15:40
I was trying to attach a pdf from QNAP but it's too big to post.
Try Googling +QNAP +thermal, quite interesting.

Neil

holmsn
2007-10-24, 08:13
Here's the link
http://www.qnap.com.tw/images/products/NAS/TS109Pro/Thermal_TS-109_Series_ENG.pdf

egd
2007-10-26, 02:30
Here's the link
http://www.qnap.com.tw/images/products/NAS/TS109Pro/Thermal_TS-109_Series_ENG.pdf

The article makes no mention of what the drive does when it is being accessed constantly eg. a mass copying operation of say 100GB of data. The software screendump implies a copy operation but the article does not elaborate. My experience with drives in fanless enclosures is they get very hot, to the point of R/W errors, when copying large amounts of data. Great if they've somehow overcome that, but I remain sceptical on that front. Anyone have any real-world experience copying large volumes of data with this device?

Ian_F
2007-10-26, 04:16
My experience with drives in fanless enclosures is they get very hot, to the point of R/W errors, when copying large amounts of data. Great if they've somehow overcome that, but I remain sceptial on that front. Anyone have any real-world experience copying large volumes of data with this device?

I'm surprised that any device which suffered r/w errors when you tried to use it could possibly pass the design stage let alone make it to market. :eek:

If you look around your home you'll find plenty of things that produce heat but do not have a fan: Amplifier, fridge, television (although some now do), toaster, lightbulb. None of these fail to function properly because they are fanless. The thing that is key tho is to have sufficient airflow around the thing. If you put your lovely Thecus in a small enclosed cupboard it will overheat and fail even tho it has fans. Pure and simple.

Anyway, onto your question. I've hammered my QNAPs for hours on end, moving hundreds of gigabytes around and neither of them have got very hot to the touch.

Personally I prefer the fanless design, ignoring the noise aspect for one minute. The big downside with fans, for me, is they become clogged up with muck over time and as a consequence don't do their job properly resulting in early component failure.

egd
2007-10-26, 13:23
I'm surprised that any device which suffered r/w errors when you tried to use it could possibly pass the design stage let alone make it to market. :eek: heh, so was I...

Anyway, onto your question. I've hammered my QNAPs for hours on end, moving hundreds of gigabytes around and neither of them have got very hot to the touch.
Thanks for that, I think I've decided what I'll be buying my parents for Christmas - an SB3/Aego-M/QNAP combo. Come to think of it I'd better get a network cable for them also to enable copying of flac onto the QNAP. To connect a QNAP directly to PC, does it need a crossover cable or will a regular network cable do?

Ian_F
2007-10-26, 13:55
heh, so was I...

Thanks for that, I think I've decided what I'll be buying my parents for Christmas - an SB3/Aego-M/QNAP combo. Come to think of it I'd better get a network cable for them also to enable copying of flac onto the QNAP. To connect a QNAP directly to PC, does it need a crossover cable or will a regular network cable do?

Nice present. I just get socks from my kids!!

A crossover cable will do the trick. Haven't they got a router? It'll be a smidge easier to configure if they have.