PDA

View Full Version : Any XSF gurus ??



DLloyd
2007-10-13, 16:49
Hello,

Are there any XSF gurus here please ??

I'm in the process of setting up my 'super-duper' SlimServer Debian box with three SATA hard disks:

/dev/sda
/dev/sdb
/dev/sdc

Grub is installed to sda, along with the "/" partition (bootable, formatted as reiser). Then I have two equal sized swap partitions on /dev/sdb & /dev/sdc.

What I'd like to do is setup an XFS stripe across the remaining space on all three 500 GB disks for /home. (This is where all of my .wav files will reside).

Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanks !

Robin Bowes
2007-10-14, 05:48
DLloyd wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Are there any XSF gurus here please ??
>
> I'm in the process of setting up my 'super-duper' SlimServer Debian box
> with three SATA hard disks:
>
> /dev/sda
> /dev/sdb
> /dev/sdc
>
> Grub is installed to sda, along with the "/" partition (bootable,
> formatted as reiser). Then I have two equal sized swap partitions on
> /dev/sdb & /dev/sdc.
>
> What I'd like to do is setup an XFS stripe across the remaining space
> on all three 500 GB disks for /home. (This is where all of my .wav
> files will reside).
>
> Any advice would be appreciated...

Personally, I'd use mdadm to create a RAID5 array over those three
partitions. Then, either drop a filesystem directly on the md device, or
use lvm (make the md device a pv, create a vg, and then an lv).

Confused? You will be :)

R.

DLloyd
2007-10-15, 13:02
Robin,

I have:

/dev/sda1 (boot partition)
/dev/sdb1 (swap)
/dev/sdc1 (swap)

Using fdisk, which second partition type should I create for the MD device on /dev/sda.../dev/sdc please ? (primary or extended ?) The second partition will be approx. 498 GB per disk.

Thanks !

Robin Bowes
2007-10-15, 15:53
DLloyd wrote:
> Robin,
>
> I have:
>
> /dev/sda1 (boot partition)
> /dev/sdb1 (swap)
> /dev/sdc1 (swap)
>
> Using fdisk, which partition type should I create for the MD device on
> /dev/sda.../dev/sdc please ? (primary or extended ?)

Make it a primary (doesn't really matter) and label it "fd" (Linux Raid
Autodetect)

Then use mdadm to create the md device.

R.

DLloyd
2007-10-15, 17:25
Thanks Robin ! I'll give that a try....

PS. For XSF, chunk=1024 ?

Robin Bowes
2007-10-16, 04:26
DLloyd wrote:
> Thanks Robin ! I'll give that a try....
>
> PS. For XSF, chunk=1024 ?

I don't know, I don't use XFS.

R.

DLloyd
2007-10-16, 15:27
DLloyd wrote:
> Thanks Robin ! I'll give that a try....
>
> PS. For XSF, chunk=1024 ?

I don't know, I don't use XFS.

R.

Well, in that case I'm going to have to ask you to leave this thread, it is clearly for gurus only ;-)

MrD
2007-10-16, 16:58
Use LVM and XFS.

Both will allow you the option to expand space easily in the future.

DLloyd
2007-10-18, 13:40
Robin, MrD,

Thanks for the info !

I now have XFS running on a RAID 0 array. For what it's worth, using the Debian installer to create all of the partitions resulted in the size of the fd partition on one disk being slightly off, so I used fdisk instead and specified the start/end blocks manually.

Some of the options I used for XFS:

"chunk=1024" when setting up the raid array in mdadm.

When formatting the array, I used "-l size=64m" to create a 64 megabyte log, and when mounting "noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8" (the default number of log buffers is 2).

With all of my three weeks of Linux experience.... XFS seems to work well on MD devices, and detected the necessary parameters automatically, so I did not have to worry about setting stripe unit and stripe width, etc.

Here's a good article of tweaking XFS on linux:

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1479435

Here's a good general article on XFS on Linux:

http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?coll=linux&db=bks&srch=&fname=/SGI_Admin/LX_XFS_AG/sgi_html/front.html

Next, it's time to build my kernel (attempt number four)....

Robin Bowes
2007-10-18, 15:56
DLloyd wrote:
>
> Next, it's time to build my kernel (attempt number four)....

Nooooo, why are you building a kernel?

Do you enjoy this sort of thing?

Pick a distro that "Just Works(tm)".

I am v. familiar with Fedora/CentOS so can recommend either/both of
those. No kernel builds required.

R.