PDA

View Full Version : How do you specify the music folder on a remote NAS device

john.c.cochrane
2007-10-12, 13:31
Sorry, this is probably a dumb question I'm kind of new to Linux

I have Ubuntu running and Slim Server installed. We have an NSLU2 Linksys as a NAS store for our windows network, this also contains all of our music. I have no problems accessing this from the Network Places on Ubuntu. What I can not figure out for the life of me is how to specify a location on the NLSU2 as the music folder.

The file browser on Ubuntu says it's smb://goose-nest/media the SlimServer software wnats nothing to do with the path specified like this

Any Ideas

Thanks

peterw
2007-10-12, 13:56
Take a look at this:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently

-Peter

john.c.cochrane
2007-10-13, 08:16
I think this is the right direction, but my lack of knowledge of Linux is probably letting me down. I get:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //goose-nest/media,
missing codepage or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

When I try to mount the disk

and the following in the system log

[ 2274.252000] smbfs: mount_data version 1936029031 is not supported

Is there some piece of software that needs to be installed on Ubuntu to allow this to work?

Thanks
John

Take a look at this:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently

-Peter

john.c.cochrane
2007-10-15, 10:25
OK, I have this working. I didn't have the package for Samba installed. So know I have slimserver accessing a folder on the monted Samba disk. The problem I have now is that the Squeeze box is not maintaining a good connection to the disk. It works for about 15 or 20 minutes the the squeeze box starts telling me it can't locate the files. However, from the Linux file system I can still see the device and files.

Any ideas?

Thanks

John

I think this is the right direction, but my lack of knowledge of Linux is probably letting me down. I get:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //goose-nest/media,
missing codepage or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

When I try to mount the disk

and the following in the system log

[ 2274.252000] smbfs: mount_data version 1936029031 is not supported

Is there some piece of software that needs to be installed on Ubuntu to allow this to work?

Thanks
John

egd
2007-10-18, 13:02
The problem I have now is that the Squeeze box is not maintaining a good connection to the disk. It works for about 15 or 20 minutes the the squeeze box starts telling me it can't locate the files. However, from the Linux file system I can still see the device and files.

If your NAS is linux based there is no reason to have to use SAMBA to connect to it, a mount should be all that is required and the connectivity will be via NFS.

I have a similar setup in that my NAS is Linux based and I sometimes access the library on the NAS from an instance of slimserver running on my Ubuntu workstation (my NAS/ slimserver is standalone, so running slimserver externally from the NAS is generally only done for testing purposes). To access my NAS from my workstation I simply mount it using:

sudo mount 192.168.168.100:/raid/data/AudioLIB /media/nfs_audiolib

The parts you will need to change are the IP address of your NAS, the location of your library on the NAS "/raid/data/AudioLIB", and the mountpoint (in my case "/media/nfs_audiolib") to suit your needs/ setup.

rov
2007-11-11, 13:48
If your NAS is linux based there is no reason to have to use SAMBA to connect to it, a mount should be all that is required and the connectivity will be via NFS.

I have a similar setup in that my NAS is Linux based and I sometimes access the library on the NAS from an instance of slimserver running on my Ubuntu workstation (my NAS/ slimserver is standalone, so running slimserver externally from the NAS is generally only done for testing purposes). To access my NAS from my workstation I simply mount it using:

sudo mount 192.168.168.100:/raid/data/AudioLIB /media/nfs_audiolib

The parts you will need to change are the IP address of your NAS, the location of your library on the NAS "/raid/data/AudioLIB", and the mountpoint (in my case "/media/nfs_audiolib") to suit your needs/ setup.

so, what if the nas is running xfs? i've been trying to do something like this in antiX (mepis-based distro):

mount -t xfs x.x.x.x:/share/music /mnt/share/music

but i keep getting an error that says the device x.x.x.x/share/music doesn't exist. i have a winxp machine connected to the nas - the path in windows is \\Homeserver\share\music, so i'm assuming the actual path on the nas is /share/music. i think the "Homeserver" is the just the name assigned to the nas to identify it on the network. is this correct?

4mula1
2007-11-11, 15:30

A stock Slug doesn't have an nfs daemon. Installing the Unslung firmware will allow you to install the nfs package.

I run SlimServer on Solaris and use nfs for when my backup runs. I don't know how Linux handles it, but Solaris absolutely hates it when an nfs connection is broken without being unmounted. Solaris (and Linux) have the automounter daemon, which will automatically mount nfs resources as needed and after a specified timeout will unmount them.

rov
2007-11-12, 09:28
A stock Slug doesn't have an nfs daemon. Installing the Unslung firmware will allow you to install the nfs package.

I run SlimServer on Solaris and use nfs for when my backup runs. I don't know how Linux handles it, but Solaris absolutely hates it when an nfs connection is broken without being unmounted. Solaris (and Linux) have the automounter daemon, which will automatically mount nfs resources as needed and after a specified timeout will unmount them.

my understanding is that if a linux-based NAS serves MS windows clients the NAS file system is netbios based and nfs can't be used, even between a linux NAS and linux client. my system has 2 windows laptops, a linkstation NAS (linux) and linux laptop running slimserver. so, i think my only choice to mount the NAS on the linux laptop is using samba (smbfs or cifs).

anybody else out there doing this? as in, linux machine running slimserver, with music library on linux NAS (which also serves windows clients for other purposes, i.e. not music). if so:
1. how do you mount the NAS on the linux slimserver? i've beaten my head against the wall with man mount, fstab, etc. but i can't get the linux box to mount the share on the NAS.
2. which is better - smbfs or cifs?
3. should the playlists be saved on the slimserver or on the NAS?

thx

4mula1
2007-11-12, 10:49
my understanding is that if a linux-based NAS serves MS windows clients the NAS file system is netbios based and nfs can't be used, even between a linux NAS and linux client.

That's not entirely true and will very much depend on the NAS. Most consumer oriented NAS devices that run Linux (and use external usb or esata drives) will probably lack an nfs daemon, because it's most likely going to serve only Windows clients. My Linksys NSLU2 (aka Slug) fell into this category. The Slug does have the advantage of having some community based firmware that allows debian packages to be installed, such as an nfs daemon. My Slug serves up Windows clients via CIFS and my Solaris box via nfs. My SlimServer library is backed up from the Solaris box and my wife's iTunes collection is backed up from the Windows box.

It took some work to get everything installed and configured, but now I don't even worry about it. I bought the Slug because it could be modified beyond what Linksys originally intended. Now it's an indispensable part of my network.

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-12, 11:43
There is an NFS client for Windows. I couldn't get it working though.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/interopmigration/bb380242.aspx

IIRC I could see the Linux share from the Windows machine but not vice-versa.

rov
2007-11-12, 18:15
That's not entirely true and will very much depend on the NAS. Most consumer oriented NAS devices that run Linux (and use external usb or esata drives) will probably lack an nfs daemon, because it's most likely going to serve only Windows clients. My Linksys NSLU2 (aka Slug) fell into this category. The Slug does have the advantage of having some community based firmware that allows debian packages to be installed, such as an nfs daemon. My Slug serves up Windows clients via CIFS and my Solaris box via nfs. My SlimServer library is backed up from the Solaris box and my wife's iTunes collection is backed up from the Windows box.

It took some work to get everything installed and configured, but now I don't even worry about it. I bought the Slug because it could be modified beyond what Linksys originally intended. Now it's an indispensable part of my network.

ok, i stand corrected. agree that *most* NAS boxes don't do nfs (at least not without being modded) b/c they are targeted at Windows clients. my linkstation live could probably be hacked to install the nfs daemon, but i don't want to brick it trying. probably should have gone with the slug as it seems more hackable and less vulnerable to ham-fisted modders like me...

egd
2007-11-14, 06:27
Both NAS' I worked with support CIFS and NFS out of the box.

Takshaka
2007-11-18, 05:29
my understanding is that if a linux-based NAS serves MS windows clients the NAS file system is netbios based and nfs can't be used, even between a linux NAS and linux client. my system has 2 windows laptops, a linkstation NAS (linux) and linux laptop running slimserver. so, i think my only choice to mount the NAS on the linux laptop is using samba (smbfs or cifs).

There is no reason why you shouldn't serve the same directory via more than one protocol, I have shares here that are available via smbfs, nfs and http simultaneously. The only limitation is your server software.

anybody else out there doing this? as in, linux machine running slimserver, with music library on linux NAS (which also serves windows clients for other purposes, i.e. not music). if so:
1. how do you mount the NAS on the linux slimserver? i've beaten my head against the wall with man mount, fstab, etc. but i can't get the linux box to mount the share on the NAS.

thx

I do this all the time, including on the NAS that serves my slimserver.

1. To mount smbfs/cifs shares you will need to look at using smbmount - the standard "mount -t smbfs" command will not work without it installed as "mount" actually passes the command over to smbmount rather than doing it itself.

It should be readily available for any distro as part of the samba packages. If it's not already installed on your box, install samba. To find out if you have the package installed a simple "man smbmount" will tell you - if the man page is installed, so is the tool.

2. They are just two names for the same protocol - feel free to use either name, but you'll be talking about the same thing either way.

3. As you wish. Shouldn't make a blind bit of difference.

4mula1
2007-11-18, 06:54
I've just reconfigured my slug to serve both CIFS and nfs from the /public directory. Very easy once I figured out I had to restart the nfs daemon for the changes to take effect. Duh!

One thing I mentioned before and will say again is if you are using an nfs share the client system should be using the automount daemon. It will mount shares automatically when needed and unmount them after an inactivity period.

See the below link for more info on setting it up.

http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Automount.html

Disclaimer: I setup the automount daemon in Solaris 10, not Linux. All of the concepts are the same between the two but the filenames and probably some of the conventions are different. I can't help you with a Linux client.

egd
2009-04-26, 10:39

thx

My music's hosted on a Linux based NAS and it's accessed from a Windows machine using CIFS and from my Ubuntu machine using NFS. Make sure you enable the protocols on the NAS and that you have NFS installed on your Linux machine. I mount from Linux as follows:
sudo mount 192.168.168.100:/raid/data/AudioLIB /media/AudioLIB/