PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer on an OLPC

bikerx
2007-10-12, 04:41
I've been looking at the One Laptop PC (OLPC, laptop.org) as a possible platform for SlimServer. Since it is not yet available, I don't expect any concrete answers to many of my questions, but here goes.

OLPC has some attractive features: Low power usage (<15W), runs Fedora 6, WiFi, portable, etc. The one thing it doesn't have is a physical Ethernet port (not surprising, given it's intended application). So my main question is this: If I were to be able to install SlimServer on an OLPC (a big IF), and be able to point it at my network attached storage drive (Linkstation), would the data stream have to pass through the OLPC (meaning lots of wireless traffic in and out of the OLPC, with possible playback issues) or would it be able to essentially pass directly from the NAS to a Squeezebox?

Thanks in advance.

byKnight
2007-10-12, 04:51
The SlimServer will have to retrieve the files over the network from the NAS. The SlimServer will then send the files, again over the network, to the Squeezebox.

So, no, SlimServer running on the OLPC can't cause the NAS to magically deliver the files directly to the Squeezebox.

jeffmeh
2007-10-12, 04:55
If SlimServer is on the laptop then, yes, the network traffic would go through the laptop. Wireless may work, but it may not.

IMO, it is not something I would count on. There are plenty of other devices you could find for a server that would have an ethernet port.

Diana
2007-10-12, 07:08
...There are plenty of other devices you could find for a server that would have an ethernet port.

e.g. http://www.clove.co.uk/viewProduct.aspx?product=9136E4FD-2F3C-4289-84A9-4B96ED813B9D&category=GROUP4

(It comes with Xandros GNU/Linux installed)