PDA

View Full Version : Systemax Via C7-D for Linux server?

MarkL
2007-10-11, 22:11
Howdy. I'm looking to set up a Linux server that I won't feel too guilty about leaving on all the time and I came across this Via C7-D system: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3227074&body=MAIN#

It looks like it'll be perfect with a 500GB drive thrown in, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask if anyone already has experience with it.

Anyone?

-- Murky Mark, Minister of Musical Mischief

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-12, 05:25
I don't have any experience with it, but it looks perfect!

Finally a PC for the "NAS people". ;-)

sdonham
2007-10-16, 20:07
I've got an old Via Epia MII1200. Linux was an absolute bear to get working perfectly with this, perhaps because it's an older board, but after a few tweaks it now it consumes 30-31 watts at idle and 45 watts at peak CPU. If I remove one of the two hard drives, it drops to 20 watts. I love it. It's silent too.

Depending on which distro you use, you might have to recompile the kernel to support the C7 CPU frequency scaling. If you do that, while your in there, compile the modules for the hardware sensors and enable VIAs encryption chipset. (I don't actually know what the encryption chipset is, but might as well support it if it does something).

Lastly, I cannot recommend enough the Pico-PSU. At 96% effecient, this PSU will not only make a smaller, quieter, cooler running system, but you'll end up saving a good 25 watts over a standard ATX PSU.

(Yikes.... Does my post read like a stepford wife from the original 60's film?)