PDA

View Full Version : connecting laptop to SB3 to access internet?

sand
2007-10-11, 09:43
Hi all,

Perhaps I've misunderstood the basics of this, but here is what I'm doing:

I tried connecting a W2K laptop to the back of my SB3, in order to access the internet. I did not get any internet connection.
When connecting the laptop with the same cable directly to my router it works.

What could be wrong?
Thanks

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-11, 09:48
You should use a crossover cable for this.

Did you enable bridging on the SB3?

Does the SB3 have access to SN? This means DNS and gateway are set properly.

sand
2007-10-11, 11:06
You should use a crossover cable for this.

Did you enable bridging on the SB3?

Does the SB3 have access to SN? This means DNS and gateway are set properly.

Thank's Mark! I just used a regular network cable. So I guess that means I need another sort of cable, then.

I couldnt find anywhere to enable/disable bridging in the SB3 menus, Ill have to look again.

Yes, the SB works, its currently set to SN (not to my NAS).

SteveEast
2007-10-11, 11:18
To enable/disable bridging:

1. Connect laptop to SB with crossover cable.

2. Hold down left arrow button on remote until SB menu enters "Squeezebox Setup".

2. Scroll down and select "Current Settings".

3. Scroll down to "Bridge wireless to ethernet". Select to taste.

Steve.

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-11, 11:20
Most ports these days are auto-sensing, so you might as well try SteveEast's advice with your present cable and see if it works.

Otherwise yes, try a crossover cable.

sand
2007-10-11, 12:31
ok, I'll give it a try - thank you both for the advice!

y360
2007-10-11, 16:06
The bridge setting is read-only in the settings mentioned above

To modify it you need to setup networking again

radish
2007-10-13, 21:41
In my experience you don't usually need a crossover cable, but you do need to switch bridging on, as has been mentioned.

iPhone
2007-10-31, 23:24
This might be a little late to ask, but you do have a wireless network i.e. a wireless router. The SB can only act as an internet connection for another device if it has access to a wireless connection for itself.

I only ask because it is not mentioned in your equipment signature and my neighbor that I turned onto SB did not understand why his SB worked when connected to his cable hub but did not work as a wireless bridge for his Xbox360 or when not connected to the hub, after all the manual says its wireless (guess he thinks its like his cell phone, its wireless and I don't need anything extra for that). He has no home wireless LAN. As a heart surgeon, he knows his way around your heart, but when it comes to electronics he has no common sense or understanding. Keeps me busy hooking up all his new toys. "That looks neat, think I'll buy it!" Now what does it do?