PDA

View Full Version : Music by Folder and Genre query?

Empgamer
2007-10-11, 06:38
All music is in flac and tagged such that it creates an artist folder and then album folders within those. All works fine.

Quick query, I am ripping all daughters 'music' to the PC and have the same convention. I was wondering if I THEN create another folder in the FLAC library by daughters name, would the SlimSever register THAT folder or would it still only pick up the artist folders within?

On a similar note, I'm only just getting into Slimserver at moment, and will spend some time this weekend playing with it. But, when listing by genre, is it possible to configure it so it shows albums by genre rather than artists. In the dance category, courtesy of said daughter, we have a bazillion and eight artists whereas the albums blah 1, 2 and 3 would be useful (and would save having to search etc by album/artist. No big deal bit I'd like to do it by album in the genre field if I can.

slimpy
2007-10-11, 07:45
Slimserver will traverse all folders below the library root folder (that's the path you entered when setting up SS), regardless of folder structure. Once all files are scanned the folder structure is only relevant for the "Browse Music Folder" view, but not for artists, albums, genres, etc. "Browse Music Folder" shows you the folder structure as you would see it in a file manager.

I don't think it is possible to have albums listed instead of artists when browsing by genre.

-s.

Siduhe
2007-10-11, 07:50
All music is in flac and tagged such that it creates an artist folder and then album folders within those. All works fine.

Quick query, I am ripping all daughters 'music' to the PC and have the same convention. I was wondering if I THEN create another folder in the FLAC library by daughters name, would the SlimSever register THAT folder or would it still only pick up the artist folders within?

If the aim is to find an easy way to separate out your daughter's music, there are a couple of options:

Slimserver supports multiple genre tags. Simply tag all your daughter's music as GENRE=[Daughter's name] as well as GENRE=[existing genre] and she will be able to browse by Genre and then within that to her music.

Also, Erland's Custom Browse plugin will allow you to create seperate libraries within Slimserver (this is what I use), but again this is using the tagging functionality, not Browse Music Folder

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=26866&page=2&highlight=multiple+genre

Empgamer
2007-10-11, 08:33
I'll have a look at those. I think the main problem is with the multi disc/multi artist dance albums (3 CDs, 45 tracks every one a different artist). Using the Genre they would (I think) list by artist (and therefore pretty much by track)?

IF SlimServer DOESN'T recognise folder structres for anything other than 'By Folder' view that MAY be the solution? Put all daughter's in a folder under her name and she can then just browse to her stuff using the Folder view. I may even try a couple of genre TYPE folders in there (not sure if Music By Folder lists sub-folders too?). I can always look at the other options as I get more familiar with it. If this works, it'll do for now. Thanks for comments. Might even bundle all the dreaded Christmas albums under a Christmas folder. If it doesn't work it's only a library re-scan. No big deal.

Just wondering though, all these folders within folders wouldn't start to cause lag as SlimServer has to burrow for the files would it?

erland
2007-10-11, 09:29
Just to confirm, with the Custom Browse and Multi Library plugins you can pretty much do anything you like regarding customized browse menus.
However, I would recommend that you try to use the standard SlimServer browse menus a bit to get a feeling what you like.

There is currently no menu template available for a genres menu that show albums directly, but when you are sure about what you like I'll be happy to make one for you. The Multi Library plugin is only needed if you like to have separate browse menus for your music and your daughters music.

There are some configuration samples available on my wiki for Custom Browse if you like to get a better feeling about the possibilities:
http://wiki.erland.homeip.net/index.php/Category:SlimServer

Empgamer
2007-10-11, 09:59
Thanks erland. Very helpful. Thus far I've tried a couple of things that seem to fit the bill. Like you say i'd like to get to hand with ALL the basics to find out what it can do unaided and then work out from there what plug ins I might need.

As a for instance I've placed the dreaded Christmas albums in a folder labelled, Christmas. Most are multi artist and ripped with a folder naming scheme that gives the folder the album name. That works well. In a couple of cases we have a couple of albums by the same artist, then it kicks back to artist view and then you go in (right) to album view. Not too problematic.

I've also bundled stuff under a Classical folder too. Dance works well as it then lists the 8 or so main folders with the compilations and you then get disc 1, 2 and 3 in those (don't like the 45 tracks all in the same folder approach personally).

Only thing that MIGHT be useful, but this is REALLY splitting hairs, I could for instance put my wife's music in a folder that's easy for her to find then. Don't need totally separate folders as we play each others stuff a lot. I have mine now clumped under, rock, male vocal, female vocal etc. Now, if she has a female vocal artist I find I can't yet figure a way to get it to show up in two folders (e.g. hers and a generic female Vocal). REALLY going to the nth degree this is mind!!!! More than happy we can get almost anything we want at any time browsing by artist, album and folder and using Lazy Search, Just looking for ways to make it THE most family friendly I can. It would be nice in time if Genre was able to show albums as well as artists (if possible).

erland
2007-10-11, 10:20
Only thing that MIGHT be useful, but this is REALLY splitting hairs, I could for instance put my wife's music in a folder that's easy for her to find then. Don't need totally separate folders as we play each others stuff a lot. I have mine now clumped under, rock, male vocal, female vocal etc. Now, if she has a female vocal artist I find I can't yet figure a way to get it to show up in two folders (e.g. hers and a generic female Vocal).I believe you can't get a file to show up in two places in the "Browse Music Folder" menu. It is possible to make a file show up in two genres by tagging it with multiple genres but this is in the "Genres" menu.

Custom Browse/Multi Library doesn't provide any better browsing for the "Browse Music Folder", but Multi Library makes it possible to create several virtual libraries where each library could be browsed by artists, albums, genres individually using the Custom Browse plugin. By doing this you can for example put a specific "Genre" tag in all Hers music and another "Genre" tag in all your music. Some files are going to be tagged with multiple genre tags if it belongs to you both. In the browsing menus you will now with Multi Library/Custom Browse be able to browse only your music by artist, album, genre and also browse only her music or browse all music. This way you don't have to duplicate a file which you like to be visible in both hers and your browse menu. But as I said earlier, this unfortunately doesn't work when browsing by folder, so if you only feel that you can get a good browsing structure by browsing by folder I'm afraid you are out of luck. There are several ways to define the virtual libraries in the Multi Library plugin, genres is just an example.

Empgamer
2007-10-11, 11:36
I don't think that's the only way. I'll have a look at the plug insina few days. I've just dragged and roped abit with what is there be default so to speak, just to see how close that gets to what i want or whether it just makes things more complex and/or unneccesary.

I'm more than happy with album, artist and genre like I say. If the folder view wasn;t there I doubt I'd even be considering it. It's just because I can :)

Like I say, I'll look at the plug ins later once I've explored the 'vanilla' version fully. Thanks for help/comments.

Empgamer
2007-10-11, 22:11
Been looking at the custom browse. They look very useful. Plan to install and have a go in a few days once I have fully cracked what's there by default. Few issues:

Folders: Really no bothered about what I use this for. After all my ponderings, neither are wife/daugther!!!! Essentially all music in my library is stored in artist/album folders, thus, when browsing by folder, that's what you get. Don't actually NEED to use it in that regard as you will pretty much get the same as browse by artist (with the exception of Movie Soundtrack and Various Artists folders). It's just a case of giving it some thought as to whether I might be able to make a better use of the folder structure than is currently the case. As I say, we have Christmas Albums etc and this is useful as they are mainly multi artist and under a Genre browse will get listed by artist IIRC. Tempting to bundle all the other current artist folders under Genre type folders but I suppose where you have more than one album by an artist (of which we have a few) you are only going to then bring up the artist first anyway, in which case you may as well use Genre. Lot of rambling and I hope it makes sense. Rather than the original question, I wonder if many use the folder structure in a way to add to the user experience at all or do people just not bother with it. I'll do some searching.

Custom Browse: I'll have a look at this but one thing that immediately struck me was that it would be nice to be able to browse Genre by both Artist and Album if that is possible? Thus:

Genre
---Artist
---Album

(Not sure how to get text to indent on forums - hence the ---).

Siduhe
2007-10-12, 02:08
Empgamer, I started off using Custom Browse / Multi Library in a similar way to what you describe above - by Genre. In the end, I have ditched the Genre classification and now deliniate by use of a COMMENT tag. The reason for this is that I found I wanted to group albums which clearly came from different genres together - "Party" being a good example, "Sunday Morning Housework" being another (less obvious) one. It's also pretty easy to batch add Comment tags using Mp3Tag or Tag&Rename. I could have used multiple genre tags, but I also sync large chunks of my library with a portable player, so this didn't particularly work for me.

I think you mentioned in another thread that a lot of your daughter's music are dance compilations? If so, my only other comment is that you will save yourself a heap of trouble by ripping these into some other structure than Artist/Album. Personally, I have a headline folder (Compilations) and then Album folders below that. This is because, if you want to make the "Group Various Artist Albums together" functionality work on browse by Artist (removes all the random one track compilation artists from the Artist view), Slimserver likes to see all songs from one album in the same folder.

You are probably doing this already, but thought I would mention it just in case.

Empgamer
2007-10-12, 06:20
Yeah, thanks for that. I use dBpowerAMP Reference and that allows a box to be checked if it's a compilation. It tags the Album Artist as Various Artists IIRC and importantly puts the album under a folder with the album name. This was trial after my first rip with such a compilation and I ended up with 48 extra artist folders. Grim. :-)