PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to reinstall NX server?

Ashy72
2007-10-10, 11:47
Hi i am a xubuntu newbie so bear with me.

I tried running FreeNx Client Node and Server however i couldn't get it to work. I looked around on the net and found an install nx guide for linux.
Someone else also had problems with FreeNx. On this guide it tells you to remove all freenx packages installed.

To do this i used terminal and did:- sudo dpkg -r nxserver
sudo dpkg -r nxclient
sudo dpkg -r nxnode

It also says that all files or libraries should be removed, which i am a bit puzzled about.

Anyway i downloaded the NX Desktop Server, NX Client, NX Node deb files. And tried re-installing. Client then Node installed ok.
When it came to installing the NX server again by double clicking the file the manager starts then stops and shows terminal, the following is shown:-

Setting up nxserver (3.0.0-69)...
NX>704 ERROR: Cannot add user: nx User: nx already exists
NX>704 ERROR: Please try to fix the problem be reinstalling the server.
dpkg:error processing nxserver (--install): sub process post-installation script returned error exit status 1

ive tried reinstalling but the same shows everytime.
The problem is with this User: nx how to remove it?

I would appreciate ant advice im really stuck, this is driving me bonkers. I tried the NX website for answers theres nothing on there.

Thanks, Mark.

Robin Bowes
2007-10-10, 11:58
Ashy72 wrote:

> The problem is with this User: nx how to remove it?

man userdel

R.

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-10, 12:01
Have you tried the Ubuntu forums?

http://ubuntuforums.org/

You should also try removing via Synaptic. Unfortunately I've never seen the dpkg command you've used, it may have screwed things up for removal via Synaptic.

Ashy72
2007-10-10, 13:36
Ashy72 wrote:

> The problem is with this User: nx how to remove it?

man userdel

R.

Many thanks indeed, Used sudo userdel -f nx
This did the trick and now i have nxserver installed. Now to test it....

chuckiebear
2007-10-11, 11:06
Let us know how it goes. I was looking at the site today & wondering about the free offering

Ashy72
2007-10-11, 12:52
Let us know how it goes. I was looking at the site today & wondering about the free offering

Google:- Setting up NX on linux, there is a good guide someone has done.

I downloaded the files from the NX products part of the page NOT FreeNx, the ones i downloaded are still free to use. Dont know if there are any differences between the freenx files or the others i think they have the same debian filenames. Perhaps though the MD5 Hashes are different. Anyway:-

I had a bit of bother with the problem i kept getting message:- 'User Mark could not be authenticated' on the windows screen. This was due to me having put Mark instead of mark for the username.

I also had to configure my firewall for NX and SSH for both incoming and outgoing.

Then i could connect and see the linux screen, but it wouldn't let me log in remotely. The reason for this was that there was some security enabled in the login screen settings. Once i had altered these settings it worked.

The only thing i wonder about though is trying to connect from the linux box to the windows box the other way, this doesnt seem to work, Any ideas folks? This doesn't matter to me too much though because its working for the way that i want it to.

Thanks for everyones help on this.

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-12, 06:00
I downloaded the files from the NX products part of the page NOT FreeNx, the ones i downloaded are still free to use. Dont know if there are any differences between the freenx files or the others i think they have the same debian filenames. Perhaps though the MD5 Hashes are different. Anyway:-

You will find in Linux there's a big push for "free" as opposed to "free" software. "Free" in the first case implies freedom, i.e. freedom from corporate controls, freedom from patented/licensed software components. "Free" in the second case implies "free beer", you don't pay for it but the other concerns are not met.

For the most part, the end user doesn't care either way, but the potential is there in the "free beer" case that the company can do something nasty or start demanding licensing fees a while down the road. Also their product cannot be modified, corrected or redistributed without their involvement. Their product cannot be distributed with other products that are themselves "free" as in freedom, like an entire Linux distro, because they contain patents or intellectual property. This also saves the Linux distro organization from potential legal problems.

Some Linux distros are more concerned about this than others, but Ubuntu is very adamant about this, you will not find any "free beer"-type programs in their repositories.

This is religious war territory, a Linux champion will no doubt correct me on several points here.

BTW there seem to be a lot of problems with FreeNx on the Ubuntu forums, so I didn't bother with it.

I had a bit of bother with the problem i kept getting message:- 'User Mark could not be authenticated' on the windows screen. This was due to me having put Mark instead of mark for the username.

Another Linux discovery: Linux is always case sensitive.

The only thing i wonder about though is trying to connect from the linux box to the windows box the other way, this doesnt seem to work, Any ideas folks?

Don't forget, this is a client-server environment. The way you have it working, the Ubuntu machine is the server, the Windows machine is the client. To go the other way, you have to install the server on the Windows machine and use the client on the Ubuntu machine.

Ashy72
2007-10-12, 13:02
You will find in Linux there's a big push for "free" as opposed to "free" software. "Free" in the first case implies freedom, i.e. freedom from corporate controls, freedom from patented/licensed software components. "Free" in the second case implies "free beer", you don't pay for it but the other concerns are not met.

For the most part, the end user doesn't care either way, but the potential is there in the "free beer" case that the company can do something nasty or start demanding licensing fees a while down the road. Also their product cannot be modified, corrected or redistributed without their involvement. Their product cannot be distributed with other products that are themselves "free" as in freedom, like an entire Linux distro, because they contain patents or intellectual property. This also saves the Linux distro organization from potential legal problems.

Some Linux distros are more concerned about this than others, but Ubuntu is very adamant about this, you will not find any "free beer"-type programs in their repositories.

This is religious war territory, a Linux champion will no doubt correct me on several points here.

BTW there seem to be a lot of problems with FreeNx on the Ubuntu forums, so I didn't bother with it.

Another Linux discovery: Linux is always case sensitive.

Don't forget, this is a client-server environment. The way you have it working, the Ubuntu machine is the server, the Windows machine is the client. To go the other way, you have to install the server on the Windows machine and use the client on the Ubuntu machine.

Thanks Mark, Thats cleared a few things up.

One thing i would like to know though is how to switch between windows and the nx client/server session. Whilst in the nx session viewing the linux server if you alt-tab or press the windows key on the keyboard you get back to the windows screen. Then the nx session minimises to the tray, if you click on it you just get a black screen. If you then alt-tab back and try to close the nx session it does not respond the only way to kill it is with task manager to end the process.

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-12, 14:30
One thing i would like to know though is how to switch between windows and the nx client/server session. Whilst in the nx session viewing the linux server if you alt-tab or press the windows key on the keyboard you get back to the windows screen. Then the nx session minimises to the tray, if you click on it you just get a black screen. If you then alt-tab back and try to close the nx session it does not respond the only way to kill it is with task manager to end the process.

Yes, I've been having the same problem. I wish it could be a full conventional window but it's either full-screen or a rescaled window.

Again, TightVNC was better than this. It displayed the full screen in a conventional window with scroll bars if the server window was larger than the client window.

Oh and I should have clarified: FreeNx = "free", NX = "free beer".

Balthazar_B
2007-10-12, 16:42
I use the "Free Forever" NoMachine NX Free Edition for Linux (and the free NX client for Windows), which has been one of the most stable and trouble-free software packages I've ever run. Available here:

http://www.nomachine.com/select-package.php?os=linux&id=1

I love this software!