PDA

View Full Version : Heretical suggestion

tyler_durden
2007-10-10, 09:08
Last night while playing with my jive (it's OK, my wife is out of town!) I noticed that when I select a particular song from a particular album/CD, you can continue all the way down to an information display screen that shows the name of the file, bit rate, type of encoding, file size, etc. I noticed that there are similar displays for internet radio feeds, etc. It seems to me that that info is great for geeks who care about such things, but not very useful for most people most of the time. If I want to know the file size I can always go look at the server. There are similar info screens for internet radio feeds, etc. I think there may be a lot of people who might get overwhelmed by all the info and turned off by the whole system.

A lot of people buy Macs because the user interface is less intimidating than that of a PC. All the complexity is still there, but it is hidden from casual users. Maybe the same sort of thing can be done with the jive remote. Put an option on the settings page for an advanced menuing system that includes all the info screens, network settings, etc., but default to a stripped down UI that eliminates a lot of the detail to make the whole system look simpler to those who are intimidated by the appearance of complexity.

It looks like Logitech is moving toward making the system appeal to a larger customer base and I think simplifying the UI might help achieve that goal.

TD

bklaas
2007-10-10, 09:40
s/Heretical/Prescient/

I happen to be working on just that feature today. The behavior will change so that the detailed song metadata will be one further step into the UI, and there will be an intermediate view that will display the cover art in a large format plus track, artist, and album.

now:
Now Playing->Playlist->Detailed Songinfo

coming:
Now Playing->Playlist->Big Artwork with Simple Songinfo->Detailed Songinfo

I'm stumbling a bit (okay, a lot) with laying out the new page, but you've basically predicted where this needs to go. Stay tuned.

cheers,
#!/ben

erland
2007-10-10, 09:46
I happen to be working on just that feature today. The behavior will change so that the detailed song metadata will be one further step into the UI, and there will be an intermediate view that will display the cover art in a large format plus track, artist, and album.

If I move into the intermediate level with the large cover art, will that be updated when the track changes ?
Or will I have to move back to the playlist level and into the other track to show the currently playing track after a track change ?

Fifer
2007-10-10, 10:16
Maybe the same sort of thing can be done with the jive remote. Put an option on the settings page for an advanced menuing system that includes all the info screens, network settings, etc., but default to a stripped down UI that eliminates a lot of the detail to make the whole system look simpler to those who are intimidated by the appearance of complexity.
Casio do this quite successfully in their Exilim digital camera range. The UI accesses a wealth of features, but there's an 'Easy' mode which hides all of that from the casual user who wants a point and shoot capability and no way of accidentally accessing lots of scary, techie options. My technophobic in-laws love it.

tyler_durden
2007-10-10, 10:19
Are you guys going to provide some kind of form for feedback on specific features, or is that closer to the last step in this process? I can't figure out how you'll keep track of all the random feedback that comes from these forums, but maybe it's too early to worry about fine-tuning.

TD

bklaas
2007-10-10, 10:21
I haven't gotten that far yet, but I think the proper behavior would be that it would update if:

a. the track you are viewing is the now playing item and it finishes (behavior: refresh the screen with new now playing track)

b. the track you are viewing becomes the now playing item (behavior: add a scrollbar and indicator that this is now the currently playing track)

But, if you are viewing a playlist item that is not currently playing, nor becomes currently playing, the screen would not update on a track change.

#!/ben

dean
2007-10-10, 10:26
On Oct 10, 2007, at 10:19 AM, tyler_durden wrote:
> Are you guys going to provide some kind of form for feedback on
> specific
> features, or is that closer to the last step in this process?
The official repository of bug reports/feature requests is
bugs.slimdevices.com, but posting here is the best way to start
discussion and hone down on exactly what needs to be done.

> I can't
> figure out how you'll keep track of all the random feedback that comes
> from these forums, but maybe it's too early to worry about
> fine-tuning.

Now is the time.

-dean

Cruzan
2007-10-10, 11:48
Just one point - Now Playing should go to the cover art for the currently playing song, and from there to the playlist. This is how the SB appears to work now, and is much more natural.

Right now the Now Playing menu item and Now Playing screensaver do different things, and that's very confusing.

s/Heretical/Prescient/

now:
Now Playing->Playlist->Detailed Songinfo

coming:
Now Playing->Playlist->Big Artwork with Simple Songinfo->Detailed Songinfo

I'm stumbling a bit (okay, a lot) with laying out the new page, but you've basically predicted where this needs to go. Stay tuned.

cheers,
#!/ben

nicketynick
2007-10-10, 12:27
Just one point - Now Playing should go to the cover art for the currently playing song, and from there to the playlist. This is how the SB appears to work now, and is much more natural.

Right now the Now Playing menu item and Now Playing screensaver do different things, and that's very confusing.

I'll second this.
For me, intuitively, Now Playing menu item would look the same as Now Playing screensaver (big artwortk), and I could scroll through the playlist (maybe in small icon format as it is now) with the thumb-wheel.
Just my 2 cents.

Craig
2007-10-10, 14:47
While we're on the subject (sort of) could we have the standard 'Add hold' function of 'add to playlist next' please?

I use that a lot.

Craig

slimpy
2007-10-10, 15:32
While we're on the subject (sort of) could we have the standard 'Add hold' function of 'add to playlist next' please?

I use that a lot.

+1.
There's nothing better than having random mix queuing up songs and when you feel like listening to the whole album
you just add that to play next.
After playing the album the random mix just continues.

-s.