PDA

View Full Version : Streaming music from network harddisk

Jesper Pedersen
2007-10-09, 12:23
Hi'
I have all my music on an external network harddisk (DNS-323 from D-Link). I would very much like to use my new Squeezebox as gateway between my music on the network harddisk and my music equipment.
However I would like to avoid having a PC running SlimServer if possible. Othervise I have to start my PC every time, I want to listen to music.
My network harddisk have the UPnP functionality and as I understand, there should be some functionality within Squeezebox, that can handle communication with equipment using UPnP.
Do anyone have any suggestion to a solution, where I can get access to my music files on my external harddisk without having to open my PC every time?

Regards

Jesper

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-09, 12:46
My network harddisk have the UPnP functionality and as I understand, there should be some functionality within Squeezebox, that can handle communication with equipment using UPnP.

No, unfortunately it's the other way around. SlimServer can use UPnP servers, but the Squeezebox can't use any server other than SlimServer or SqueezeNetwork.

Unfortunately you'll have to install SlimServer on a PC. Your NAS does not support installing SlimServer - moreover, given the number of problems reported in this forum, I wouldn't recommend you install SlimServer on a NAS that supports it either.

Do anyone have any suggestion to a solution, where I can get access to my music files on my external harddisk without having to open my PC every time?

Whenever this question has been asked, there have been a lot of suggestions lately to try SqueezeNetwork. To play your music, you can upload it to MP3Tunes Music Locker.