PDA

View Full Version : ClarkConnect install stalls.

Fifer
2007-10-09, 10:58
I'm a complete linux beginner, but inspired by mick_w's excellent mini-ITX server project, I'm trying to build something similar. I have a VIA Epia M10000 motherboard which I bought from eBay with 256M memory installed (a little light I suspect, but I thought it would do to get me started). I've burned an ISO image of the ClarkConnect Community Edition 4.1 which boots, but after choosing the install option and watching a whole load of text scrolling up the screen, it blanks or hangs after "running /sbin/loader" and I cannot get any further.

It seems similar to this (http://www.clarkconnect.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=98769&an=0&page=0#Post98769) problem, but the suggestion seems to be that it's related to using (or not using) ACPI. The BIOS options for ACPI don't include an option to switch it on or off and I've tried playing with the other options to no avail.

Any ideas? Would I be better trying SlimNAS?

Fifer
2007-10-10, 15:25
Bump. No ideas?

mherger
2007-10-10, 23:16
> It seems similar to 'this'
> (http://www.clarkconnect.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=98769&an=0&page=0#Post98769)

Have you asked in that forum, too? This seems to be a rather CC only issue, not related to Slimserver.

> Any ideas? Would I be better trying SlimNAS?

It's not the same kind of system: FreeNAS is a NAS only system, serving files. CC is a multi-purpose server, including web, mail, file and print services. I'd expect FreeNAS to run better on low-spec machines, as it's very focused. But the SlimNAS setup is a little more exotic than CC, as the latter is a fully fledged Linux system, while FreeNAS is a very stripped down FreeBSD system. That said I think setting up a SlimNAS is pretty straight forward. But if you're stuck there's probably only me able to help you :-)

Michael

Fifer
2007-10-11, 00:34
Thanks Michael. The reason I didn't ask on the CC forum was that I couldn't add anything to the information already posted in that thread as my symptoms are identical to those already reported.

The reasons I chose CC over SlimNAS were that (1) I was roughly following the instructions mick_w gives in his mini-ITX server project documentation and (b)I'd planned to use this system to replace my QNAP TS-101 which I use for SS and as a print server on my network. I must confess that I haven't actually checked if there is a way to use SlimNAS as a print server. However, SS is the real need and I can live without print server capability if I have to. I'll read up on SlimNAS over the next couple of days as it looks like it is perfectly capapble of providing most of what I want.

WIth regard to my CC install problem, I did have an idea last night, but as a linux know-nothing, I'm not sure if it would work. I thought about replacing the C: drive in my main pc with the one from the mini-ITX system, installing CC from CD, then putting the drive back in the mini-ITX system. Is that likely to work?

mherger
2007-10-11, 00:49
> I did have an idea last night, but as a linux know-nothing, I'm not
> sure if it would work. I thought about replacing the C: drive in my
> main pc with the one from the mini-ITX system, installing CC from CD,
> then putting the drive back in the mini-ITX system. Is that likely to
> work?

Yes, I'd expect this to work. You'll probably have to make sure the new network card is recognized as otherwise you won't be able to connect the new system to the network.

Michael

Fifer
2007-10-11, 01:02
Thanks, I'll try that this weekend.

Fifer
2007-10-20, 10:01
Yes, I'd expect this to work.
It did work, thankfully. Now to install SC7 ...

Fifer
2007-10-20, 11:23
SC7 latest nightly installed and my music is being copied over as we speak. Thanks to everyone who helped on this and other threads. :)