PDA

View Full Version : What makes SlimServer fast?

amey01
2007-10-08, 16:55
OK - I'm the first to admit I'm running SlimServer on a low-end PC! BUT

I was running it on an old IBM Pentium II server under Windows 2000 with SCSI disks and 128MB RAM. This system gave reasonable performance but obviously it was lacking in some respects.

So I upgraded to a junky little clone Pentium 4 with 256MB RAM. The only difference is I've loaded Windows XP on this one. To my disdain, SlimServer runs slower! It can take up to 30 seconds to start playing a tune on the Squeezebox!

The music source is a 500GB USB disk containing ALAC files.

I'm assuming it is the amount of RAM - Windows XP requiring more, but is this the case? What do I need to do to this PC to get at least the performance of the Pentium II server?

Thanks in advance.

JimC
2007-10-08, 17:03
OK - I'm the first to admit I'm running SlimServer on a low-end PC! BUT

I was running it on an old IBM Pentium II server under Windows 2000 with SCSI disks and 128MB RAM. This system gave reasonable performance but obviously it was lacking in some respects.

So I upgraded to a junky little clone Pentium 4 with 256MB RAM. The only difference is I've loaded Windows XP on this one. To my disdain, SlimServer runs slower! It can take up to 30 seconds to start playing a tune on the Squeezebox!

The music source is a 500GB USB disk containing ALAC files.

I'm assuming it is the amount of RAM - Windows XP requiring more, but is this the case? What do I need to do to this PC to get at least the performance of the Pentium II server?

Thanks in advance.

My guess would be that there's an issue starting the decoder. ALAC isn't decoded natively on the SB3, so the delay in startup could be the time spent loading the decoder, opening the track and starting the decode process.

Maybe under Win2k the decoder was running as a service?

-=> Jim

pfarrell
2007-10-08, 17:07
amey01 wrote:
I'm assuming it is the amount of RAM - Windows XP requiring more, but
> is this the case? What do I need to do to this PC to get at least the
> performance of the Pentium II server?

If you can, add some memory. I've never been able to stand XP with less
than 700MB to do anything.

Then grab a Linux distro, install it, and kill the fancy GUI eye candy.
Or start with a server oriented distro, such as debian itself.

Linux distros generally run SlimServer a lot faster on old crock
hardware than XP.

Even with Linux, memory is good. More is better.

egd
2007-10-08, 17:36
slimserver performs very significantly better running on linux than it does under windows, don't ask me why, it just does.

amey01
2007-10-08, 18:41
Thanks very much for your replies. I might be trying Linux!

ceejay
2007-10-09, 00:20
One other difference that may be important is that you have changed disc technology from SCSI to an external USB. If there were some problem with the USB port (the worst case being that it is only a USB1.x and not 2.0) then this would do nasty things to performance. Can you try putting a subset of your library on an internal disc to test this?

Ceejay

amey01
2007-10-09, 04:20
One other difference that may be important is that you have changed disc technology from SCSI to an external USB. If there were some problem with the USB port (the worst case being that it is only a USB1.x and not 2.0) then this would do nasty things to performance. Can you try putting a subset of your library on an internal disc to test this?

Ceejay

Thanks but no. Sorry - I didn't make that quite as clear. The server had SCSI disks and the PC has IDE, BUT this is for the OS and SlimServer - the music has always been on a USB disk.

Thanks anyway.

jeffmeh
2007-10-09, 04:38
Thanks but no. Sorry - I didn't make that quite as clear. The server had SCSI disks and the PC has IDE, BUT this is for the OS and SlimServer - the music has always been on a USB disk.

Thanks anyway.

Just to be sure, both computers have USB 2.0 ports? You would definitely see a difference if you went from USB 2.0 to 1.1.

Secret Squirrel
2007-10-09, 05:26
Thanks very much for your replies. I might be trying Linux!

The easiest way to do that is to download Michael Herger's SlimCD. Just burn the ISO to a cd, stick it in a bootable cd drive, and presto you've got Linux with Slim Server already there. It's so easy I think my wife could do it ;)

So, check out http://www.herger.net/slim/

HTH,

SS

PS There are MANY mentions of this on the forum just use the search to find them.

amey01
2007-10-09, 15:48
The easiest way to do that is to download Michael Herger's SlimCD. Just burn the ISO to a cd, stick it in a bootable cd drive, and presto you've got Linux with Slim Server already there. It's so easy I think my wife could do it ;)

So, check out http://www.herger.net/slim/

HTH,

SS

PS There are MANY mentions of this on the forum just use the search to find them.

This is BRILLIANT! Thank you! I'll be giving this a try tonight!

I was thinking about downloading Puppy and then SS, but this looks easier. Anything for more listening time and less time in front of the flickering screen!

SteveEast
2007-10-09, 16:17
Now I'm waiting for Michael's post saying "Don't do it!".

Michael recommends using SlimCD as a demo installation rather than a permanent one; he would prefer you to use SlimNAS. Some of us take no notice and use it anyway :)

Steve.

amey01
2007-10-09, 17:45
Now I'm waiting for Michael's post saying "Don't do it!".

Michael recommends using SlimCD as a demo installation rather than a permanent one; he would prefer you to use SlimNAS. Some of us take no notice and use it anyway :)

Steve.

But I don't have a NAS?

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-09, 18:22
But I don't have a NAS?

It's just an expression. It turns the computer into a NAS using the FreeNAS OS.

mherger
2007-10-10, 23:20
> Now I'm waiting for Michael's post saying "Don't do it!".

Thanks. I've been away for a few days :-).

Michael

mherger
2007-10-10, 23:22
> But I don't have a NAS?

SlimNAS is an extension to the FreeNAS project (http://www.freenas.org) which turns any standard PC into a NAS.

Michael

sxr71
2009-06-29, 21:39
I really want to use slimcd since the whole thing runs on RAM, but it is the old slimserver version of SC. Will it work fine? Will I lose features?

Or can I beg for SC 7.3.3 on a nice slim install like that?

mherger
2009-06-30, 03:35
> I really want to use slimcd since the whole thing runs on RAM, but it is
> the old slimserver version of SC. Will it work fine? Will I lose
> features?

SlimCD is dead. You can run FreeNAS from RAM too if you like.

--

Michael