PDA

View Full Version : OK... Help/advice needed (again) on my wireless network...

NeilF
2007-10-08, 00:50
I'm still trying to work out if the periodic problems with my network are solvable.

My SB3 and router are about 12ft apart in basically ajoining rooms. Typically they are 100% stable. Music (FLAC) and 5000kbps network test are 100% fine.

BUT, othertimes out of the blue (eg: yesterday afternoon) I get problems.

Typically I can usually flick the channel around on the router a couple of times and finally resolve it. There appears to be no other networks around (I'm in a detached house with neither neighbour having wireless).

But I'm wondering if what I' experiencing is:-
1) Just wireless showing its limitations. eg: A plane flying over or other random events can screw it. Hence it's not really solvable and I need to look down homeplugs?
2) A problem with the router (or SB3) that is periodically showing itself.

Basically I'm trying to work out if I should for example replace my router... Or go the network home plug router (note: my router and SB3 are on different circuits/fuses from the fuse box if that's a problem?)

ps: Once or twice I'll swear I've had times where the SB3 would not EVEN CONNECT to the router for a while (eg: several minutes)!

Phil Leigh
2007-10-08, 14:20
Neil - what router are U using?

NeilF
2007-10-08, 15:26
Neil - what router are U using?

Netgear DG834GT!

SOME NEWS!

This evening I could reproduce the problem... I displayed the buffer on the unit, and when I turned on my second machine in my study, I could see the buffer was slowly lowering... If I paused the track it would slowly fill up, but on commencing play it was slowly dropping... So it appeared it was using the buffer faster than it could fill it.

When I turned the second PC off, behaviour was better! ie: Buffer constantly filling/full.

I moved the router 2-3 feet away from my machines and that seemed to help.

Now, this has never been a problem before... So I'm wondering if it's a combination of things. eg: My second PC being on and X... And I only get this problem when both of these things are happening hence the difficulty in reproducing it.

I'll grab some nice long Cat5 leads and move my router off my desk (between my PCs) up higher onto the shelves and see if that helps...

I'd love to get wireless working than having to go homeplug!!

jeremy
2007-10-09, 03:53
I have the same router and a firmware update to the latest 1.02.09 helped both squeezebox stability and internet connection http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/DG834GT.asp
Jeremy

NeilF
2007-10-09, 04:02
I have the same router and a firmware update to the latest 1.02.09 helped both squeezebox stability and internet connection http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/DG834GT.asp
Jeremy

I'm already on that Firmware...

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-09, 07:00
Is your SlimServer wired to your router?

Always try to have at least one leg wired if you're experiencing problems.

NeilF
2007-10-09, 07:14
Is your SlimServer wired to your router?

Always try to have at least one leg wired if you're experiencing problems.

Yes... Only the SB3 is wireless...

ps: Read my "NEWS" above...

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-09, 07:18
ps: Read my "NEWS" above...

Umm, I did, and I interpreted that as the second PC was stealing wireless bandwidth, which is why I asked.

Maybe I missed the part about the longer leads though.

NeilF
2007-10-09, 07:25
Umm, I did, and I interpreted that as the second PC was stealing wireless bandwidth, which is why I asked.

Maybe I missed the part about the longer leads though.

No only the SB3 (& laptops I have) are wireless... It seems quite definately that in the case in hand (mentioned above), turning the second PC on corrupted/damaged the wireless signal to/from the SB3.

This second PC is sort of in the 'direct line of fire' between the router and SB3, but seems rather odd none-the-less a single electronic device can reak such havoc :)

bpa
2007-10-09, 07:29
Is the Super G mode (108Mbps) enabled in the router ?
If so and if there is a Netgear WLAn adaptor in the PC - turn off Super G mode and try again.

NeilF
2007-10-09, 07:43
Is the Super G mode (108Mbps) enabled in the router ?
If so and if there is a Netgear WLAn adaptor in the PC - turn off Super G mode and try again.

I believe during the test, 108mbps was disabled on the router (and it was set to just g).

Neither of the PCs, the Shuttle or the second PC which was causing the problem, have wireless...

Is would seem simply when the second PC was turned on (2ft to the right of the router) it's electronics etc fluffed up the wireless signal to the SB3 out 12-16ft away in the neighbouring room...

NeilF
2007-10-09, 14:01
...moved the router up and away from my desk (and inbetween my two machines)...

The buffer now always fills, rather than emptying, even with the second machine on... It does seem to fill up VERY slowly but a network test always seem 100% happy at 5000kbps now!

I had to set the router to channel 1 it would seem to get the best outcome... The SB wouldn't even connect on channel 6 at times with the second PC on!!!

NeilF
2007-10-16, 01:48
...moved the router up and away from my desk (and inbetween my two machines)...

The buffer now always fills, rather than emptying, even with the second machine on... It does seem to fill up VERY slowly but a network test always seem 100% happy at 5000kbps now!

I had to set the router to channel 1 it would seem to get the best outcome... The SB wouldn't even connect on channel 6 at times with the second PC on!!!

Still had periodic problems with... So change the Netgear DG834GT for a Alcatel Speedtouch (I had around) and what a massive improvement!!!!!! Wireless is A LOT faster!!!!