PDA

View Full Version : Which file system to install on ubuntu?

Ashy72
2007-10-07, 04:52
Hi i am a linux newbie. In a few days i will have a mini itx pc and plan on installing ubuntu or xubuntu. I will be using it to serve slimserver headless. I have been reading up about installing the ubuntu desktop package and it says that you should use the FAT32 file system if you want to share a partition with windows. I know the native linux filesystem is the ext system. I shall be installing Samba so that a windows host will be able to see the linux machine from network neighbourhood. Will it work with ext file system or not? Also i will install NX client for windows and NX for linux on the ubuntu machine so that i can control the linux server from the windows machine remotely.

Your help will be appreciated.

Havoc
2007-10-07, 06:14
If you install samba the filesystem doesn't matter. Your windows pc asks samba something, samba looks it up and replies. Your windows pc has no direct access to the disk. So you could use fat32, ntfs, ext2, ext3, reiser3, reiser4, jfs, xfs or something else.

Installing fat32 to share between linux and windows is only needed if you install both on the same pc, for a portable disk or usb key that gets connected to both OS's or something like that. And even then you can use ntfs since linux can use it (maybe need a kernel compile if not included by default) or ext as there are windows drivers fot it.

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-07, 07:09
Just go with the Ubuntu/Xubuntu default, ext3. ext3 is extremely robust - it isn't the fastest but it makes up for it in reliability.

And yes, samba will handle all the conversion for you, no worries.

Ubuntu/Xubuntu do support NTFS through ntfs-3g. I can't remember if this is installed by default or not. But NTFS through Linux lacks the error-checking and robustness ext3 possesses.

hickinbottoms
2007-10-07, 07:53
As a general rule of thumb 'ext3' is the one you need for all your
filesystems. Your Windows machines will be able to see files exported
from that filesystem type with no problems - the fact it's on a Linux
filesystem type rather than FAT32 is hidden by Samba.

Stuart

Ashy72 wrote:
> Hi i am a linux newbie. In a few days i will have a mini itx pc and plan
> on installing ubuntu or xubuntu. I will be using it to serve slimserver
> headless. I have been reading up about installing the ubuntu desktop
> package and it says that you should use the FAT32 file system if you
> want to share a partition with windows. I know the native linux
> filesystem is the ext system. I shall be installing Samba so that a
> windows host will be able to see the linux machine from network
> neighbourhood. Will it work with ext file system or not? Also i will
> install NX client for windows and NX for linux on the ubuntu machine so
> that i can control the linux server from the windows machine remotely.
>
> Your help will be appreciated.
>
>
>

Ashy72
2007-10-07, 10:30
Just go with the Ubuntu/Xubuntu default, ext3. ext3 is extremely robust - it isn't the fastest but it makes up for it in reliability.

And yes, samba will handle all the conversion for you, no worries.

Ubuntu/Xubuntu do support NTFS through ntfs-3g. I can't remember if this is installed by default or not. But NTFS through Linux lacks the error-checking and robustness ext3 possesses.

Hello again mark, Ext3 seems the way to go then. The only issue i have is using a USB drive between Xp host machine and the linux machine. Maybe i should forget about this and just ftp between the two machines.

SuperQ
2007-10-07, 11:42
Hello again mark, Ext3 seems the way to go then. The only issue i have is using a USB drive between Xp host machine and the linux machine. Maybe i should forget about this and just ftp between the two machines.

That's what samba is for. It will let you map storage on the linux machine as a network drive on the windows machine.

check out these documents:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ComprehensiveSambaGuide

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-07, 11:43

If you're running samba, it's easy to share files between the machines. No need for the "sneaker net", i.e. the USB key.

Although if you were referring to a USB drive, that's a valid thought.

Takshaka
2007-10-08, 18:53
The only issue i have is using a USB drive between Xp host machine and the linux machine. Maybe i should forget about this and just ftp between the two machines.

As long as the USB stick is formatted FAT32, you can use it on the windows or linux end regardless of the presence of other filesystems.

FAT32 is only required when *both* machines will be directly accessing the device.

Ubuntu = EXT3
USB stick = FAT32
Windows = NTFS