PDA

View Full Version : What to do with my CDs?

mbroadhurst
2007-10-06, 16:27
Curious to hear what others have done with their CDs if they have fully converted to SlimServer/Squeezebox/iPod as I have. right now mine are on a shelf in the basement, but I've been looking, unsuccessfully so far, so some kind of waterproof storage solution to box them up and put them out of the way.

I have had too many issues with data loss to get rid of them just yet.

Michae

pfarrell
2007-10-06, 16:32
mbroadhurst wrote:
> I have had too many issues with data loss to get rid of them just yet.

I bought some fairly expensive drawer units, found the link in the back
of Stereophile. I liked them so much that we bought another for the
DVDs. I store about 750 CDs and over 100 DVDs and assorted video tapes.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

davep
2007-10-06, 17:57
This
http://www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp?V=1&Sec=3&Sub=16&PID=67

And this
http://ssl.adhost.com/jazzloft/baskets/sleeves.cfm

Got about 1000 CDs in a couple of stacks of drawers (minus the wheels). The sleeves take up about a quarter of the space the jewel cases need, although I do keep the original packaging for digipaks and box sets which drops the average space saving ratio a bit overall.

davep

tyler_durden
2007-10-06, 18:24
What's the point of going to a system like a SB and slimserver if you still have to deal with the darned disks?

Technically, it would be illegal to sell them and keep the files copied to your HDD for slimserver. So I suggest you do what I did- put them in boxes and store them in the garage. You don't need to spend money on expensive furniture to house them, and you don't need them or the special furniture to accomodate them cluttering up your living space.

Liberate yourself. It feels good!

TD

SumnerH
2007-10-06, 18:27
What's the point of going to a system like a SB and slimserver if you still have to deal with the darned disks?

Technically, it would be illegal to sell them and keep the files copied to your HDD for slimserver. So I suggest you do what I did- put them in boxes and store them in the garage. You don't need to spend money on expensive furniture to house them, and you don't need them or the special furniture to accomodate them cluttering up your living space.

Liberate yourself. It feels good!

+1 on this. I just threw them all in cardboard boxes and stuck them in the basement. No need for anything fancy, and they're still around if you suffer multiple drive failures or something.

mbroadhurst
2007-10-06, 18:52
Thanks for the suggestions -- I am not really looking for furniture, so boxing them up is what makes most sense to me. I am concerned about water damage though, so cardboard wouldn't necessarily work for me (and I have no garage, I live in a 100-year -old downtown house with only street parking!)

i guess I'll look for some rubbermaid or similar containers that are the right size -- I just wondered if anyone had found a solution that was designed for CDs. they're already in sleeves, so I don't have to worry about 2000+ jewel cases that I got rid of long ago.

aubuti
2007-10-06, 21:41
I *strongly* recommend that you don't count on your physical CDs as insurance against data loss. You've probably spent many hours ripping and tagging your CDs, and at the current price of hard drives, if you value your time at all then the original CDs are not an adequate backup. You need a mirror/copy of your music drive.

Kevin O. Lepard
2007-10-06, 22:49
>mbroadhurst wrote:
>> I have had too many issues with data loss to get rid of them just yet.
>
>I bought some fairly expensive drawer units, found the link in the back
>of Stereophile. I liked them so much that we bought another for the
>DVDs. I store about 750 CDs and over 100 DVDs and assorted video tapes.

From here maybe? I have several and they're very nice, but they are
rather spendy.

http://www.can-am.ca/

Kevin
--
Kevin O. Lepard, MD, PhD, FACEP, FAAEM

Happiness is being 100% Microsoft free.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message and any attachments to it are
intended for use only by the addressee(s), and may contain privileged
or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are not authorized to read, print, copy or disseminate this
message or any attachments to it, or to take any action based on
them. If you have received this message in error, please permanently
delete or destroy the original and any copy of this message.

Kevin O. Lepard
2007-10-06, 22:52
>So I suggest you do what I did- put them in
>boxes and store them in the garage.

I actually put all of mine in those albums and tossed the crystal
cases. I was originally reluctant to toss the jewel cases, but now
that I'm in the habit I like this solution. The albums take up so
much less space that it's amazing.

Kevin
--

Kevin O. Lepard
2007-10-06, 22:57
>i guess I'll look for some rubbermaid or similar containers that are
>the right size

If you've ripped them you could also seal the box with some silicone
caulk for extra waterproofing.

I'm also pretty sure if you do a search for waterproof cases you'll
be able to turn up some options.

Kevin
--

jeffmeh
2007-10-07, 09:43
I use these.

http://www.buy.com/prod/Case-Logic-CDW-320-320-Disc-Nylon-CD-Wallet/q/loc/101/10380795.html

oktup
2007-10-08, 03:09
You might also want to read a similar thread on this subject, at
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=33418

megraham
2007-10-08, 07:08
I loaded all my CD's on a hard drive and got rid of the jewel cases and
used the 1000 CD case. Its on wheels and doesn't take up much room.

http://meritline.com/cd-dvd-case1.html

I have noticed that ebay has these also.

jeffmeh wrote:
> I use these.
>
> http://www.buy.com/prod/Case-Logic-CDW-320-320-Disc-Nylon-CD-Wallet/q/loc/101/10380795.html
>
>
>

iPhone
2007-10-25, 17:39
The CDs should be ones last resort for data loss. And that would be when the computer is fried and your archived copies are also destroyed. Who has the time to do all that converting over again when one can archive the conversions to DL DVD in no time at all. Once the current library is backed up, one will even notice the same amount of time it takes to archive as one goes with new CDs.

I convert my CDs to FLAC Files (use whatever lossless format one prefers) then when I have 8 gigs worth of new files, I archive them to DL DVD that I store in my fatherís almost empty gun safe. As for the CDs, I keep them because I am data recovery anal-retentive. I use the spindles left over from CD and DVD Burning ROMS. I get 100 CDs on a spindle and then store as many spindles as will fit in a Rubbermaid Tough Tote. It has a nice snap on lid, is easy to carry, and easy to store and stack. No paper is involved so if it were to ever get wet (which I doubt due to it all being plastic) no big deal. No paper also means no place for bugs to breed. Storing cardboard boxes in the garage or basement is a no no if one wants control over bugs.

Just something that works for me.

MrSinatra
2007-10-28, 22:06
i built my own wooden dowel wall unit from scratch and mounted it to the wall. i stained it and all and find it looks quite dignified in the living room where its near totally full. i even have the dowels in such a way so that the cds are slightly tilted towards the person looking at them.

westernboy
2007-10-28, 22:57
Curious to hear what others have done with their CDs if they have fully converted to SlimServer/Squeezebox/iPod as I have. right now mine are on a shelf in the basement, but I've been looking, unsuccessfully so far, so some kind of waterproof storage solution to box them up and put them out of the way.

Michae

Quite by accident, I found that the plastic storage tubs designed to roll/fit under beds are just the right height to store CDs (in their cases) with the spine up (see photo). I get about 180 per container. They're reasonably cheap and, with the lid on, not too bad at excluding moisture.

Of course, without sleeves, I expect you could triple that number of CDs per container - so your 2000 discs should fit easily in four...