PDA

View Full Version : Server requirements

OffColour
2007-10-06, 11:08
Hi folks,

Just got an SB3 and all working fine with Slimserver on a Windows PC, but I really want to use my Unslung NSLU2. I got 6.5.4. up and running on the Slug last night and it's fine when playing, but outages when a song starts, the lag between songs and the remote control response is pretty terrible.

Which brings me to my question: Why should the response of the squeezebox to remote control commands be so reliant upon the box slimserver is running on? Changing the volume takes an age to respond; what does that have to do with the server?
Surely once a song is being streamed, slimserver shouldn't have to do anything until the squeezebox sends the request for the next song.
Or am I missing something, i.e. everything runs on the server (plug-ins?) and the squeezebox just decodes and plays?

Gary

amcluesent
2007-10-06, 11:52
>Or am I missing something<

Yes, unless the Slimserver gets to process (nearly) all the actions, then send appropriate commands out to devices(s), lots of functionality would be broken/harder to do.

pfarrell
2007-10-06, 11:56
OffColour wrote:

> Which brings me to my question: Why should the response of the
> squeezebox to remote control commands be so reliant upon the box
> slimserver is running on? Changing the volume takes an age to respond;
> what does that have to do with the server?

The name of the company used to be SlimDevices.
The SqueezeBox is a slim device. i.e. dumber than a politician.
The server does everything.

OffColour
2007-10-06, 15:21
Ouch.
Going to the server just to change the volume really seems like overkill!
Ah well, bought it now, so guess I'll have to stick with a PC running all the time and just use the Slug for my ShowCenter.

Cheers folks.

SumnerH
2007-10-06, 18:38
Hi folks,

Just got an SB3 and all working fine with Slimserver on a Windows PC, but I really want to use my Unslung NSLU2. I got 6.5.4. up and running on the Slug last night and it's fine when playing, but outages when a song starts, the lag between songs and the remote control response is pretty terrible.

Which brings me to my question: Why should the response of the squeezebox to remote control commands be so reliant upon the box slimserver is running on? Changing the volume takes an age to respond; what does that have to do with the server?

Surely once a song is being streamed, slimserver shouldn't have to do anything until the squeezebox sends the request for the next song.

Or am I missing something, i.e. everything runs on the server (plug-ins?) and the squeezebox just decodes and plays?

When you press a button on the remote, the squeezebox sends a message to the server saying "I just got infrared code X". The server decides what to do with X, and tells the squeezebox to increase the volume or whatever.

The client/server setup shouldn't be slow, though, if your setup is at all recent (mine's very responsive with both client and server wireless, with a 2001-era 1.3 GHz Pentium IV/256 MB of RAM). And it allows you to do things like use any remote you want with the squeezebox (just put the codes into the server), change what each key does, etc. And it allows the squeezebox to be very simple--even things like turning off are multiple steps (update the display to show nothing, turn brightness all the way down, pause/stop the music, turn off the audio outputs, etc) handled on the server. Putting all that logic on the server gives you (or SlimDevices) a lot more flexibility to customize exactly how things work in future versions and eliminates many impossible-to-fix hardware bugs. It also allows you to have different IR codes trigger additional actions on the server computer or whatever. It's just a whole lot more flexible.

If you're getting sluggish response, you might consider hardwiring one side or the other, making sure that the server isn't overloaded with other things, or otherwise tweaking your setup. If, say, your server is going into hibernation and has to wake up, that'll cause large delays.