PDA

View Full Version : how do i upgrade firmware via ssh

danaronson
2007-10-05, 11:19
I don't have the whole development kit (no cable). I've figured out how to get the firmware to jive, but have no idea how to tell the beastie how to use it. Help....

--dan

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-05, 11:26
No cable? I don't think anyone has any cable!

You don't need it. Follow this: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?JiveBDK to update via wireless or SD card. Yes, you can SSH the firmware also but either of these two methods should work.

danaronson
2007-10-05, 11:28
I only have a 2G SD card around (I guess I could go buy a new card). My version of firmware is too old, so I can't use a recent nightly (and the older nightlies aren't around any longer), so i can't use the player itself.

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-05, 11:45
You might want to try that SD card anyway and update the wiki if it works.

As for SSHing, I've done a search and the closest I could see is this:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=230140&postcount=22

which leads me to guess you place it in /usr/bin/jive, but what you do after that (restart?) is anyone's guess.

But this is an assumption, and it's a dangerous one as you could be the first to officially brick your JHB following my wild guesses.

danaronson
2007-10-05, 13:15
and it doesn't recognize my 2G sandisk card.

dean
2007-10-05, 13:45
On Oct 5, 2007, at 1:15 PM, danaronson wrote:
> and it doesn't recognize my 2G sandisk card.
The current kernel has some limitations on SD cards, but 2G should be
good. make sure you have a partition map on the card. Formatting
using an SD card adaptor on my mac worked just fine for me.

danaronson
2007-10-05, 14:18
well, i looked at /etc/init.d/rcS and saw that it was mounting the SD card as /mnt/mmc, so I figured that I could probably just copy jive.bin to that directory. Sure enough, this works.

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-05, 14:24
Wow, awesome! Sorry I wasn't able to help, but yours seems to be the first thread on this - it'll now be the reference thread should anyone else need to do this.

Incidentally, what did you have to do after your SSHed the firmware? Restart the JHB, factory reset or did it update on its own?

rtitmuss
2007-10-05, 15:03
Ah, dan i see what you did, copied the firmware to /mnt/mmc without an sdcard in. Your lucky that worked as those firmware upgrade images are now stored in the flash and may not always fit. Make sure you do a factory reset after the upgrade to get that flash memory back!

Richard

MrC
2007-10-05, 18:08
Given Richard's point about size limitations, I'm not the process I just performed is good advice for other's to follow...

I enabled SSH, connected to the remote, and then used its local wget to download jive.bin directly into /mnt/mmc (w/o an sdcard). After the update, I SSH'd back in and deleted /mnt/mmc/jive.bin.