PDA

View Full Version : sorting my "new music"

stevekdavis
2007-10-05, 05:41
Hi,

Is there an easy way I can get my genuine new music back to the top of the new music list?

I ask because it seems like SlimServer orders the New Music based on the last modified date rather than the file creation date.

This means that when I add some new music it appears at the top of the list but if I then go an modify a tag of an older file then that pops to the top of a list.

After a while of fixing some tag issues my genuine "new music" is now way down the list.

I now have to go a "touch" each of these files to get them back to the top. It just seems a bit messy.

Steve

Siduhe
2007-10-05, 05:56
I don't think there is anything you can do to the files you have modified so far other than manually correct these.

However, for future tagging, use a program that has an option not to change the file stamp when you amend or update tags - Tag&Rename and Mp3Tag will do this (Windows). That way all your "new" music should stay as intended.

stevekdavis
2007-10-05, 06:41
However, for future tagging, use a program that has an option not to change the file stamp when you amend or update tags - Tag&Rename and Mp3Tag will do this (Windows). That way all your "new" music should stay as intended.

I already use Mp3tag from www.mp3tag.de (freeware) but cannot see an option for not updating the file stamp. Is this something you can tell me where to look or do you mean the other mp3Tag from www.maniactools.com (shareware)?

thanks for the info

Steve

Ken
2007-10-05, 06:56
For any files already updated try "Attribute Changer" which can be downloaded from http://webplaza.pt.lu/~rpetges/

Ken

Siduhe
2007-10-05, 07:14
I already use Mp3tag from www.mp3tag.de (freeware) but cannot see an option for not updating the file stamp. Is this something you can tell me where to look or do you mean the other mp3Tag from www.maniactools.com (shareware)?

thanks for the info

Steve

You need to enable "Preserve file modification time when saving tags". From memory, it's a tickbox in the Options/Tags section (not at my home setup right now).

stevekdavis
2007-10-05, 07:19
found it! thanks.

Philip Meyer
2007-10-06, 15:07
>However, for future tagging, use a program that has an option not to
>change the file stamp when you amend or update tags - Tag&Rename and
>Mp3Tag will do this (Windows). That way all your "new" music should
>stay as intended.

I don't think that's a good idea if you rescan for new and changed music, which wouldn't then detect changed files.

Phil

Ur[s]uS
2007-10-07, 06:36
>However, for future tagging, use a program that has an option not to
>change the file stamp when you amend or update tags - Tag&Rename and
>Mp3Tag will do this (Windows). That way all your "new" music should
>stay as intended.

I don't think that's a good idea if you rescan for new and changed music, which wouldn't then detect changed files.

Phil

if I've been meddling with existing tags, i can do clear and rescan
rescan for new and changed will mean just newly added

Siduhe
2007-10-07, 06:51

Phil

Good point - a full clear and rescan would be needed. There was a thread a while back about how the time needed for a full scan wasn't a significantly more than a "new and changed" scan - AFAIK because Slimserver still parses each file to work out whether it is new or not. Not sure if that is still the case in 7.0.

Philip Meyer
2007-10-07, 16:49
>There was a
>thread a while back about how the time needed for a full scan wasn't a
>significantly more than a "new and changed" scan - AFAIK because
>Slimserver still parses each file to work out whether it is new or not.
>
I find that new and changed music scan is much faster that a full scan (although haven't timed this in SC7.0).

However, I've never found the new and changed music scan to be too reliable; it frequently causes me issues with the library if I have renamed/moved/deleted/changed certain tags, so I tend to do a full rescan once a week.

Phil