PDA

View Full Version : Samba corruption from Vista 64 on ubuntu

pludder
2007-10-05, 03:14
Hi, I use a PC with the latest stable Ubuntu with a samba share where I run slimserver. It seems that since I upgraded to Vista 64, FLACS become corrupted when I copy them from the Windows Vista 64 box to the servers samba share. They get nasty digital glitches etc. and seem to mess up the squeezebox.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Any tips welcome, going to go on looking for problems tonight.

At first I thought it was my wireless connection to the SB that was the problem, but files transferred before I upgraded my computer plays ok. Haven't had time to check for hardware problems on the harddrive yet, will do tonight (in case it happening at the same time I built the new windows box is a coincidence).

BR/ Per Lundmark

egd
2007-10-05, 03:27
Has anyone experienced something similar? Any tips welcome, going to go on looking for problems tonight.

I seem to recall reading some articles re vista deliberately breaking samba interoperability (microsoft's typical strategy for anything it perceives to be a threat) some time prior to the official release of vista and I also recall there being some fixes and/or workarounds. I'm sure google will provide you the answers you need, albeit the correct answer is probably throw out vista.

pludder
2007-10-05, 04:52
Yeah I've been googling for something similar, but what I found was mostly authentication problems and stuff like that relative to vista, I'll try to transfer via sftp when I get hom and see if that sorts it to make sure its really the samba.

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-05, 05:41
I seem to recall reading some articles re vista deliberately breaking samba interoperability (microsoft's typical strategy for anything it perceives to be a threat) some time prior to the official release of vista and I also recall there being some fixes and/or workarounds. I'm sure google will provide you the answers you need, albeit the correct answer is probably throw out vista.

That's nuts!!

A check you can do is MD5 sums before and after transfer, but that won't solve the 'problem', i.e. feature.

pludder
2007-10-08, 01:02
Well, no corruption when I transferred through sFTP, haven't found any tips to fix the samba problem.

egd
2007-10-08, 02:15
I did a little googling and found that the problem I was referring to pretty much related to ms defaulting to a different authentication protocol to that ordinarily used in Samba, but this is not the problem in your case. Have a look at http://www.nabble.com/Corrupted-data-on-write-to-Windows-2003-Server-t2782623.html , it may offer a solution.