PDA

View Full Version : Bandwidth consumed when paused?

plympton
2007-10-04, 21:09
Here's something I couldn't find in the archives - is bandwidth still being consumed even when a streaming radio station is paused?

Some streams can be relatively large, for a DSL connection, and there are times I might want to have my full-bandwidth for whatever reason (or just not have the extra traffic).

It seems that streaming stations update their display while paused (current song on Radio Paradise, etc...) and there doesn't seem to be a "rebuffering..." pause as if it needs to fetch new data. So, my assumption is that I've got a 64kb/128kb chunk of my bandwidth semi-permanently consumed - I pretty much listen to streams these days, and my local storage is getting dusty!

Anyway, just curious,

-Dan

mherger
2007-10-05, 01:07
> Here's something I couldn't find in the archives - is bandwidth still
> being consumed even when a streaming radio station is paused?

No streaming bandwith. The clock (if you're on SQN), consuming a few bytes.

> Some streams can be relatively large, for a DSL connection, and there
> are times I might want to have my full-bandwidth for whatever reason

10'000 vs. 128 (or even the 64 you mention) kb/s make you forget about this :-). But even with slower DSL/Cable connections I think this is negligible. I doubt you'd see any performance improvement with anything beyond 3Mb/s

Michael

bpa
2007-10-05, 01:26
There is an issue raised here which I have wondered about but didn't investigate.

In an MP3 stream which uses the ICY protocol the titles of the songs now playing are interleaved with the MP3 audio stream in the same TCP connection.

Now this is the point that need considering.

If the titles that appear on the SB3 are changing even through the stream is paused, then I think it means that SC is reading all of the HTTP ICY stream (including audio) to get the interleaved song titles as they are sent.

There is an associated issue with internet radio streams - if the SB3 is paused and the stream is being handled directly (I am not sure this is the case with ICY streams) by the SB3 from the station then the SB3 will keep reading the stream until its buffer is full and then the TCP flow control will stop more data being sent as it will not be acknowledged.