PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu newbie-how do i enter the path to music folder

zano65
2007-10-04, 11:47
Hello,
i'm new to Ubuntu (3 days) and after many tribulations everything is working except for Slimserver. It's ironic because i'm switching to Linux only to use Slimserver to make a music server. I have put a few albums in a SCSI drive and i have not yet found the way to type something accepted by Slimserver as the music folder.
Thanks in advance
Jean

snarlydwarf
2007-10-04, 11:53
Well it depends on where you put it, of course...

It may be something like "/home/username/music" or something.... without knowing more, it is hard to say.

Most important gotcha: on Linux, case matters. "music" and "Music" are different things, and getting the case wrong will not work.

Mark Miksis
2007-10-04, 16:25
Most important gotcha: on Linux, case matters.

Other important gotcha on linux: make sure the slimserver user has read access to the music folder.

zano65
2007-10-05, 09:59
Other important gotcha on linux: make sure the slimserver user has read access to the music folder.

How do i do it?

pfarrell
2007-10-05, 11:20
zano65 wrote:
> Fletch;232742 Wrote:
>> Other important gotcha on linux: make sure the slimserver user has read
>> access to the music folder.
>
> How do i do it?

Pick the "Places" option at the top of your toolbar, use the browser to
navigate to your songs directory. Right click "Properties"
click on "permissions" tab.
set world read

Make sure it works all the way down your structure.

Most folks would use the shell.
chmod 755 /songs
and perhaps
chown -R slimserver:slimserver /songs

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

zano65
2007-10-06, 04:38
In the permissions tab there are 2 lines: the first one is "acces to folder", it shows "create and supress" (maybe not the exact words since i translate from french)
The second one is "acces to file" and it shows some dots; if i chose "read only" or read and write", next time i open the tab it's back to the dots.

Here's my setup:
Celeron 1000, Ubuntu 7.06, Slumserver 6.3.0.4, user: jf
System on a IDE drive
The music files are on a SCSI drive in Fat 32, named IBM, in a folder named Music.

If i go to the Music folder, the path is: /media/IBM/Music.
I created a shortcut named Music; if i use it the path is: /home/jf/Music.

I'm stuck there.

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-06, 08:45
Slumserver 6.3.0.4

Oh oh, another victim of the Ubuntu repos!

The SlimServer version provided on the Ubuntu repositories is this version. It's a version customized for Debian and it doesn't seem to work for anybody.

You'd be well-advised to uninstall it and install the latest following these directions:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?DebianPackage

See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=38872

nobspangle
2007-10-08, 03:15
You cannot change permissions on a FAT32 drive they need to be set in your fstab at mount time.

bhaagensen
2007-10-08, 10:43
Oh oh, another victim of the Ubuntu repos!

The SlimServer version provided on the Ubuntu repositories is this version. It's a version customized for Debian and it doesn't seem to work for anybody.

Is it really not working? If it is not I will file a bug in Ubuntu's bug tracking system.

Bjørn

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-08, 10:53
Is it really not working? If it is not I will file a bug in Ubuntu's bug tracking system.

Bjørn

I don't know the specifics but there have been several on this forum who could not get it to work - their problems were solved by going to the latest version.

Also, it's horribly out of date, as with many packages in Ubuntu (FLAC is still at 1.1.2!)

zano65
2007-10-08, 15:30
I followed Mark's advice and installed the latest stable version.
Now my set up is:

Celeron 1000, Ubuntu 7.06, Slumserver 6.5.4, user: jf
System on a IDE drive
The music files are on a SCSI drive in Fat 32, named IBM, in a folder named Music.

Slimserver only accepts /media/IBM as music folder, scans it and it's empty.

I created a folder in /home, placed some albums in it and that works.

Still a long way to go because i have 4 Fat 32 or NTFS disks full of music and i would like to use them.

Maybe Ubuntu is not the good linux to use for Slimserver, what's the best (and easy tu set up) in your opionion ?

Jean

egd
2007-10-08, 17:40
Slimserver only accepts /media/IBM as music folder, scans it and it's empty.

I created a folder in /home, placed some albums in it and that works.

Still a long way to go because i have 4 Fat 32 or NTFS disks full of music and i would like to use them.

Maybe Ubuntu is not the good linux to use for Slimserver, what's the best (and easy tu set up) in your opionion ?

Have you mounted the FAT32 partition with the correct parameters to enable slimserver to see the contents? Try the recommendation at http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=217983&highlight=fat32+fstab#post217983

Ubuntu is fine for slimserver and probably one of the most user friendly distros out there.

zano65
2007-10-25, 13:13
hello,
thanks everyone for the advice and the help. I followed the links and read all the stuff, i did what was told but always something went wrong at some moment. I understant it's a problem of permissions and how to mount the disks but i lack the basic knowledge, i must do my homework. I suddenly remembered reading that Slimserver acts like a user, so i reinstalled the system with name of user "slimserver".
now i have:
Celeron 1000, Ubuntu 7.04, Slimserver 6.5.4, user: slimserver.
IDE disk (system), 2 SCSI disks (Fat 32) and a USB disk (NTFS)
Music folder: /home/slimserver/musique where i placed the links to the disks.

It works perfectly, now slimserver sees all the scsi disks and also the usb disk, all i had to do was make a link.

I suppose it's not the right way to do it and there may be drawbacks but it works. When i'm more competent (in a few months...) i will try to do the right way.

By the way, do you know a burning software as good as Nero?

Best regards.
Jean

bhaagensen
2007-10-25, 13:33
By the way, do you know a burning software as good as Nero?

I don't know Nero, but Brasero or Serpentine (audio only) are nice Gnome applications. They are all available in Gutsy. Mind you I burn CD's about ones a year so I'm hardly an expert.

Bjørn

pfarrell
2007-10-25, 13:42
zano65 wrote:

> By the way, do you know a burning software as good as Nero?

k3b is very good, and fairly similar to Nero

egd
2007-10-26, 00:17
By the way, do you know a burning software as good as Nero? CD burning is integrated into the OS. if you want to burn an iso just right click on it. if you want to burn a data cd just insert a cd-r into your burner and a window to add files will appear. there are also a range of other burning programs if you have additional needs.

asteinmetz
2007-11-01, 11:09
I followed the Wiki instructions and got gutsy to install Slimserver (stable) without a hitch but all this talk confuses me (total Linux noob) a bit.

Is every app tied to a particular rev. of a particular distro.? In this case there isn't one "Linux" there are distros times revs Linuxes that need each need separate compiles of every app? If so we are doomed.

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-02, 07:27
Is every app tied to a particular rev. of a particular distro.? In this case there isn't one "Linux" there are distros times revs Linuxes that need each need separate compiles of every app? If so we are doomed.

Now I'm not a Linux expert so I may be mistaken here - but, in general, no. It's just that certain distros prefer certain applications and prepackage them with the distro.

You do have divisions - apps made for KDE versus apps made for GNOME. And packages can be delivered as RPMs or .debs. However there are tools which can convert RPMs to .debs and vice versa. Packages can also be compiled from source code provided the development tools are in place.

zano65
2007-11-02, 07:48
zano65 wrote:

> By the way, do you know a burning software as good as Nero?

k3b is very good, and fairly similar to Nero

I tried k3b, it seems to be the best of the linux burning programs i have tried (but i have not tried all) but nero is more complete (DVD video, Blue Ray, ....) and i have found Nero linux 3 which is the same as Nero 8 for windows. Only drawback: 20 Euros.
http://www.nero.com/fra/store-linux.html