PDA

View Full Version : Router incompatible with Jive remote?

Cruzan
2007-10-04, 11:24
My Jive remote has stopped seeing my router most of the time since the update to r616 (I'm now on r622). My router is a d-link dir-655 N router. It reports that the remote is connected at 100%, yet the remote has a red connection indicator at the same time. When I move the remote within 5 feet of the router, it connects and works fine, but if I move it to 15 feet I get the red indicator. There is one wall (and it's plaster) between the router and the remote, but there is when I connect at 5 feet also.

Per Dean's suggestion, I tried different rotations on the remote and it seemed to connect when facing the router or directly opposed to the router, but that wasn't working this morning. Other devices in the vicinity work fine in the same area as the remote.

Could it be something in the router? I updated the firmware a couple of weeks ago, but everything else works fine.

sdonham
2007-10-06, 07:20
My Jive remote has stopped seeing my router most of the time since the update to r616 (I'm now on r622). My router is a d-link dir-655 N router. It reports that the remote is connected at 100%, yet the remote has a red connection indicator at the same time. When I move the remote within 5 feet of the router, it connects and works fine, but if I move it to 15 feet I get the red indicator. There is one wall (and it's plaster) between the router and the remote, but there is when I connect at 5 feet also.

Could it be something in the router? I updated the firmware a couple of weeks ago, but everything else works fine.

I just glanced at my own router, thinking it was the same model as yours, and it is. I too have upgraded the firmware and have had some problems with all devices connected. The signal strength was crap for my laptop and frequently dropped to zero. This lasted for about a week until, strangely, I had a power outage. When everything came back online, it was fixed. Try unplugging the router (not just rebooting it). I know, it's not a very satisfactory fix, but I can't explain why it suddenly decided to work.

How do other devices play with your router? Are they having any problems connecting as well? How is their signal strength?
Lastly, because I have so many problems with my wireless connection due to dozens of neighbor's access points, I find the router's log to be of tremendous help. If you click the "Status" tab, then click on "log" you can find a wealth of information regarding bad/lost signals, duplicate IP addresses, what devices tried to connect when, etc... (I should add that this router LOVES to hand out duplicate IP addresses if using the built in DHCP).

Cruzan
2007-10-06, 12:48
Hi - thanks for the thoughtful reply. You may be on the right track, but it's still not working - I still get a connection @ 100% with 1Mb/s throughput (which is essentially zero.)

I didn't find much in the log.