PDA

View Full Version : Brand new Squeezebox supplied with used/faulty ac lead (UK)

Empgamer
2007-10-03, 22:48
Well, ordered my first SB3 on Sunday 30th Sept from DataKits and it arrived yesterday. That's the good news.

The bad news is that whle the SB3 and remote APPEAR to be as new the mains lead certainly does not appear to be. It has what looks like magnolia paint on both the plug and the cable and it also has scratches on the plug, as if someone has taken a screwdriver to it (albeit there are no signs of it being opened)!!! The other question it also raises is whether I can be confident the SB3 is new and not a refurb or whatever and is not also used or damaged in some way. It may well be that the power unit was dispatched in that condition although that seems less likely, if it was there is a QC issue somewhere. That said, the outer box was hard to open, as if it had not been opened before.

I've phoned Data Kits and left a message on their answerphone, tried their webchat (no agent available) and mailed them 3 times. I await their reply.

One way or another I have been sold something which is either used, a refurb or subject to some poor QC and I certainly intend to sort it out. I have advised my credit card company to deal with this if the need arises and also plan to contact Trading Standards. Poor show.

I have also mailed Logitech Customer support and one of the guys has already kindly offered to supply a new lead if the re-seller won't sort it. My only concern though is that I'm not sure I can be confident that the SB3 itself is OK.

Not sure what kind of a reputation Data Kits but I'm certainly not at all impressed!!

jeebers
2007-10-04, 00:35
Well, ordered my first SB3 on Sunday 30th Sept from DataKits and it arrived yesterday. That's the good news.

The bad news is that whle the SB3 and remote APPEAR to be as new the mains lead certainly does not appear to be. It has what looks like magnolia paint on both the plug and the cable and it also has scratches on the plug, as if someone has taken a screwdriver to it (albeit there are no signs of it being opened)!!! The other question it also raises is whether I can be confident the SB3 is new and not a refurb or whatever and is not also used or damaged in some way. It may well be that the power unit was dispatched in that condition although that seems less likely, if it was there is a QC issue somewhere. That said, the outer box was hard to open, as if it had not been opened before.

I've phoned Data Kits and left a message on their answerphone, tried their webchat (no agent available) and mailed them 3 times. I await their reply.

One way or another I have been sold something which is either used, a refurb or subject to some poor QC and I certainly intend to sort it out. I have advised my credit card company to deal with this if the need arises and also plan to contact Trading Standards. Poor show.

I have also mailed Logitech Customer support and one of the guys has already kindly offered to supply a new lead if the re-seller won't sort it. My only concern though is that I'm not sure I can be confident that the SB3 itself is OK.

Not sure what kind of a reputation Data Kits but I'm certainly not at all impressed!!

Have a look at the thread below for some other peoples experience of datakits. Not generally brilliant. To be honest you're lucky they even delivered it.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=36850&highlight=datakits

You might also want to google "Datakits customer service" if you really want to scare yourself...

Empgamer
2007-10-04, 02:03
Begininning to regret I went near DataKits. No mail from them yet and no phone call. If I get no contact n 24 hours, credit card charge back and Trading Standards.

Ian_F
2007-10-04, 02:12
Empgamer,

Any chance of posting a photograph or two of said power supply? I'm sure Sean Adams/Jim C/Progressive would be interested in seeing it. Perhaps the factory where they're manufactured is undergoing a refit. Nice fresh Magnolia walls perhaps?

But more seriously this may be a Logitech problem and Datakits are in the clear here.

I'm sure things will be put right but as consumers we need to know if we should steer clear of Logitech or steer clear of Datakits!

autopilot
2007-10-04, 03:05
Could it not be a brand new import, which came with USA lead/plug - Datakits may have just used a returned lead from somewhere in order for it to be sold and used in the UK?

Did the SB3 have the anti-scratch protection plastic on?

Just a thought.

Empgamer
2007-10-04, 03:14
Yep. It seems odd. Rest of kit looks fine. Controller, pristine. SB3 with two sheets of that clear plastic protector on, books unopened. It's tempting to keep it and get an ac exchange either from them or Logitech (who kindly offered to sort it promptly).

There is just that niggling feeling though, is the SB3 a refurb, with the poly protector carefully applied. Either way i don't see why I should get a return power unit in with my SB3. If they are being sold like thay they should be advertised.

Sorely tempted to just hand this over to the credit card company and Trading Standards.

Could put up with it, why should I?

Ian_F
2007-10-04, 03:51
Could it not be a brand new import, which came with USA lead/plug - Datakits may have just used a returned lead from somewhere in order for it to be sold and used in the UK?

Did the SB3 have the anti-scratch protection plastic on?

Just a thought.

Do Logitech export all their SB3s with a US PSU in the packaging? I'd have thought they'd ship them with the relevant PSUs to save the supplier the trouble of swapping them all over. Just think of the US PSU mountain that would be created all around the world!

funkstar
2007-10-04, 04:02
Do Logitech export all their SB3s with a US PSU in the packaging? I'd have thought they'd ship them with the relevant PSUs to save the supplier the trouble of swapping them all over. Just think of the US PSU mountain that would be created all around the world!
Units are supplied with the relevant power supply/lead, but mistakes can happen.

Ian_F
2007-10-04, 04:02
Sorely tempted to just hand this over to the credit card company and Trading Standards.

Tempted to agree with you here but let's give Sean and co a chance to respond before things get out of hand.

If it's a Datakits problem then this sort of practice is not good PR for Logitech either is it.

Just curious Empgamer, is it a Logitech branded unit or a Slimdevices branded one?

Empgamer
2007-10-04, 04:18
Don't get me wrong. I have no beef with Logitech per se. Even if it's thir QC problem I accept that these things happen and would be happy for it to be rectified by Logitech, as I'm sure it would be.

My concern is that a UK trader has sold me something which does not look to be new and the problem with the power lead (e.g. paint and scratch marks) looks more indicative of a returned/damaged item being put in the box and sold/shipped to me as opposed to something that would happen at tha factory/QC end. Unless as Ian points out, the factory was getting decorated at the time and a painter decided to vent his anger on the tin of magnolia that wouldn't open by jabbing a few ac leads.

I shall refer the matter to Visa if I don't here from Datakits by 10:00 5/10/07. And Trading Standards.

adamslim
2007-10-04, 04:43
Don't get me wrong. I have no beef with Logitech per se. Even if it's thir QC problem I accept that these things happen and would be happy for it to be rectified by Logitech, as I'm sure it would be.

My concern is that a UK trader has sold me something which does not look to be new and the problem with the power lead (e.g. paint and scratch marks) looks more indicative of a returned/damaged item being put in the box and sold/shipped to me as opposed to something that would happen at tha factory/QC end. Unless as Ian points out, the factory was getting decorated at the time and a painter decided to vent his anger on the tin of magnolia that wouldn't open by jabbing a few ac leads.

I shall refer the matter to Visa if I don't here from Datakits by 10:00 5/10/07. And Trading Standards.

Hey, calm down! It's clearly not as advertised, so just get your money back. There is no reason to get VISA or Trading Standards involved if you get a suitable remedy. Just instigate the return procedures with Datakits and you should be fine.

In my experience, it's only when you don't go through the exact returns procedures of the supplier that you get real grief. Getting lots of other parties involved will cause you no end of problems, and you'll be no better off but have much higher blood pressure!

As to how it happened, I think it's far more likely to be here in the UK - Datakits have bought up a lot of stock, and it would not be surprising if they are reboxing returns. Sure, they should label it as such and sell it for a tenner off, but I have seen many worse retail practices!

Adam

Ian_F
2007-10-04, 05:20
Hey, calm down! It's clearly not as advertised, so just get your money back. There is no reason to get VISA or Trading Standards involved if you get a suitable remedy. Just instigate the return procedures with Datakits and you should be fine.

Given Datakits have ignored his emails/phonecalls I'd say he's doing the right thing. A "returns procedure" will only work if both parties play ball. And the longer he waits for a response from them the more likely his blood pressure will rise!

Whilst I agree that getting your money back is just fine I do feel strongly about being ripped off. If no one reports these companies then they will continue to rip people off. Pure and simple. There are laws against this sort of behaviour and no one should be above them.

I do agree with you that going about things the wrong way will cause no end of grief and high blood pressure but similarly doing nothing about it will not help anyone else who falls foul for this sort of thing.

autopilot
2007-10-04, 06:14
Distance selling regulations in the UK mean that you have a minimum of 7 days to return it for a full no questions asked refund - which a) might have been the cause of this to begin with, and b) mean you can send it back and buy elsewhere.

Empgamer
2007-10-04, 08:39
If I do not get satisfcation from Datakits I will involve whoever I need to involve to sort this out.

4:30 pm and no contact from DataKits despite calls to an messages left on their line, no response on their webchat, and no respone to three mails. Not looking good so far is it? I certainly do not intend to sit around and do nothing when there are recourses through the legal and finance systems that will get a response without me having to wait fot DataKits to deal with it at their leisure.

Under S75 of the Connsumer Credit Act I have a claim against Visa also. I will leave the mess for them to sort out if Data Kits do not get in touch to provide an immediate refund.

Others may well be prepared to just sit around and wait for these things to sort themselves out. I'm not. If the company won't play ball, I'll sort it myself.

12lee
2007-10-04, 08:55
Just curious Empgamer, is it a Logitech branded unit or a Slimdevices branded one?

Hi

Lee from ProgressiveAV here (we're Logitech's UK distributors for Squeezebox and Transporter). The answer to this question is *key*.

To date we have not supplied Datakits with any product and if the unit in question is Slim Devices branded it is certainly aged stock, probably sourced in the US, and warranty processing will be handled via Datakits.

Would appreciate knowing the branding of the product and also the MAC address.

Lee.

Ian_F
2007-10-04, 09:35
Hi

Lee from ProgressiveAV here (we're Logitech's UK distributors for Squeezebox and Transporter). The answer to this question is *key*.

To date we have not supplied Datakits with any product and if the unit in question is Slim Devices branded it is certainly aged stock, probably sourced in the US, and warranty processing will be handled via Datakits.

Lee.

Lee, thanks for taking the time to get involved.

Your point about warranty processing is slightly worrying. Are you saying that if we don't buy from a reseller that you've supplied we're in the hands of the supplier to get things sorted out? ie. Logitech UK/Europe/US etc. would not honour the warranty directly with the consumer? Or do you just mean Progressive would not get involved and we'd have to deal directly with Logitech?

If the former then whilst under normal circumstances it makes no difference, the supplier will deal promptly with it because they have their reputation to consider, in this instance clearly Empgamer would now have a serious problem if he didn't have the law to fall back on.

Can you clarify for me please?

Thanks.

seanadams
2007-10-04, 10:21
Also if it's a Slim branded box, look at the square barcode label on the package. Not to point fingers, but if it indicates US or EU instead of UK, then clearly someone intentionally changed out the cable in order to sell in the UK. There is no chance of a unit leaving the factory like that. I will pass this along to the appropriate people internally and see if there's any other advice we can give you.

Empgamer
2007-10-04, 10:58
OK, been away for a few hours. The run down of the device:

Slim Devices box/packaging - Logitech labelled SB3.

Lablel on the outer box says: All black, Wireless UK.

Bar code is: 8 96665 0056 7

Mac address: 00 04 20 07 AE 4E

Power lead is labelled: UNIFIVE, Model No. USK 300520

Serial Number: 611-1158837

Frankly I'm not in the slightest bit interested in the previous poster's view re getting others involved. I shop online with credit cards for the protection that UK law and the use of those cards provides. I will utilise those to the full as and whenever I have to. If traders do not wish me to get others involved, don't palm me off with used/damaged goods as new ones. Not in the least bit impressed at the moment.

No time to take photos at moment, too shattered afetr a gruelling day.

I have e-mailed DataKits again. No reply. I shall be wasting no more of my attempting to contact them. They have until 10:00 5/10/07.

jeebers
2007-10-04, 12:18
Hi

Lee.

I'm glad to hear you don't supply Datakits - they are shockingly bad and I'm not surprised to hear of another story of problems with them. I originally ordered my SB3 from them and eventually had to threaten Trading Standards to get a refund. (To cut a long story short, they told me they had despatched when they hadn't and then proceeded to repeatedly lie about it)

I have no idea whether they are doing anything dodgy re: importing or not, but they certainly are very poor at customer service, and as Empgamer is finding out, are incredibly difficult to get hold of.

JimC
2007-10-04, 15:25

All Logitech-badged product that's been shipped in Europe would have been shipped with a PSU that uses interchangeable plugs. The standard packout for EMEA includes the EU and UK plug types.

This sounds like a re-boxed unit to me.

-=> Jim

JimC
2007-10-04, 15:29
OK, been away for a few hours. The run down of the device:

Slim Devices box/packaging - Logitech labelled SB3.

Lablel on the outer box says: All black, Wireless UK.

Bar code is: 8 96665 0056 7

Mac address: 00 04 20 07 AE 4E

Serial Number: 611-1158837

Frankly I'm not in the slightest bit interested in the previous poster's view re getting others involved. I shop online with credit cards for the protection that UK law and the use of those cards provides. I will utilise those to the full as and whenever I have to. If traders do not wish me to get others involved, don't palm me off with used/damaged goods as new ones. Not in the least bit impressed at the moment.

No time to take photos at moment, too shattered afetr a gruelling day.

I have e-mailed DataKits again. No reply. I shall be wasting no more of my attempting to contact them. They have until 10:00 5/10/07.

If you don't hear from Datakits, I would suggest that you contact our technical support group in Europe and ask to have a replacement power supply sent over to you ASAP. If you have any problems getting that done, please send your shipping details to me in a private message and I will take care of having a proper power supply sent to you.

-=> Jim

Ian_F
2007-10-04, 15:58

I've just checked the PSU on the SB3 I've owned for just over a year now and I've the exact same model number. I thought the PSU was upgraded when the SB3s were rebranded?

EDIT: Doh! Apologies, I missed JimCs post on the previous page. Seems you've got an old-style Slimdevices PSU.

Empgamer
2007-10-04, 23:38
Thanks Jim. Nice offer but my problem is I don't know what the origin of the SB3 and remote is. They look new and unused but are they? Are they returns (and if so why)? Is the SB3 a refurb?

I will let others sort out what I have been sold I think. I'm sure the information provided will come in very useful.

datakits
2007-10-05, 10:31
Hi I am Mike from Datakits.

I am very sorry this thread has continued without my input and communications. I have emailed you today a few time to resolve this matter. we are of course hapy to arrange a collection of this item and delivery a new onbe to you. as a good will guesture we will also refund you the postage you paid us for this order. Of course if you would prefer a refund that is also fine. Please reply to my email to confirm

We have supplied this product to you as new and I am unsure exactly what it is that you have received. All our Squeezebox's we have in stock at present are UK spec in the new Logitec branded box. Again if you have received anything other than a new Squeezebox i apologise. I can only assumethis hs been restocked inerror.

If i can help further please let me know.

Empgamer
2007-10-05, 11:09
I have responded to your mails. I will not air that correspondence here. The device I was sold was in a Slim Devices box with an old power supply. It is certainly not 100% new and not in a Logitech box.

datakits
2007-10-05, 11:11
ok i fully understand I wil email you now agin to arrange the collection. Apologies again for this.

Empgamer
2007-10-05, 12:43
I will require a prompt collection and full refund and have mailed accordingly. Not in the least bit impressed with this at all.

What I am not sure of is whether Logitech branded SB3s are also boxed in Slim Devices boxes as this one was?

Not a good start for me this. Gone from being very excited about the whole thing to thinking that maybe I'd be better off ordering Sonos instead :-(

Phil Leigh
2007-10-05, 13:09
I will require a prompt collection and full refund and have mailed accordingly. Not in the least bit impressed with this at all.

What I am not sure of is whether Logitech branded SB3s are also boxed in Slim Devices boxes as this one was?

Not a good start for me this. Gone from being very excited about the whole thing to thinking that maybe I'd be better off ordering Sonos instead :-(

IMHO it's rather disengenuous to blame the product for a problem with the retailer YOU chose. I know it's slightly frustrating but don't you think you should now continue your dialogue with your supplier in private?

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-05, 13:19

But you had several top-level people at Logitech going to bat for you, including the former CEO of SlimDevices and inventor of the whole thing.

Just try that with Sonos.

I guess there's no pleasing some people.

Robin Bowes
2007-10-05, 13:32
Mark Lanctot wrote:
> Empgamer;232967 Wrote:
>> Not a good start for me this. Gone from being very excited about the
>> whole thing to thinking that maybe I'd be better off ordering Sonos
>> instead :-(
>
> But you had several top-level people at Logitech going to bat for you,
> including the former CEO of SlimDevices and inventor of the whole
> thing.
>
> Just try that with Sonos.
>
> I guess there's no pleasing some people.

I'm not suggesting that this guy shouldn't complain and get things
sorted out, but sheesh - he's had the SEO of Slim Devices (as was), the
UK distributor, and now Mike from DataKits offering to resolve this for
him. And he's still not happy.

Jeez, some people think they're entitled to a free a***-wipe when they
buy a roll of toilet paper.

R.

JimC
2007-10-05, 13:47

No Logitech-branded Squeezeboxes should be packed in Slim Devices outerboxes, period. There are no packing instructions that would allow one of our factories to do that. Further, the Slim box was marked as UK, but had a U.S. power supply which should also not happen. It seems very, very unlikely that the box was packed this way at a Logitech facility. I would have seen (and had to approve) a deviation if we were to change the packout to put a Logi-branded Squeezebox in anything other than a Logi-branded outerbox.

Just to be clear: We do not sell refurbished Squeezeboxes as new; in fact, we pack them in WHITE boxes with labels that indicate they are refurbs. We also only sell them at our community events, which means you have to be in Mt. View, CA at one of our open house events to buy one.

We do provide factory refurbished units as warranty replacements, as well, but that should not have been a Logi-branded unit in a Slim-branded outerbox.

-=> Jim

Empgamer
2007-10-05, 14:07
Thanks Jim. That's what I have. Slim Box, Logitech SB3, new style remote. Not sure of the origins of this kit at all then. Never will be I suspect. Something not right.

@ Phil: I am not BLAMING the product. I have not criticised Logitech at all. Try reading the posts! I also posted here because I was concerned at what I have been sold. Datakits failed to reply to messages and calls. Datakits have responded here some two days after I contacted them. Having published their response in public I am happy to publish my final decision also. This wouldn't have happened if I had not been sold what I was sold. Again, reading my posts may show that I have declined to comment on what I have said specifically to Datakits. My concern is that have been sold a product that there appears to be some problems with in more ways than one.

@ Mark: Again, I have no beef with Logitech if people try reading. Indeed I have been more than happy with and thankful for the help and support I have received. Unfortunately I ommitted to copy you in on PMs to those that I have thanked for their help!! Very remiss of me. Anything else you'd like me to do, not do? I am however not too happy, it is at times natural consequence of events for things to put people off. Takes all sorts to make a world. I do not actually see why Logitech should sort this out, despite the offers which I have thanked them for. They did not sell me a dodgy product. If I just get the PSU replaced I will never be sure if the rest of the contents are legit and not damaged or whatever. Understandably I have little faith in a replacement from the original store and you'll forgive me if I don't now feel overwhelmed and grateful that I have finally got a response from Datakits in respect of what is a legal right!

@ Robin: Having had the experience I have with Datakits, I presume you feel I should be celebrating now that I have at last got a response? I shan't even waste my time addressing the rest of the dreck and will treat such banal comments with the contempt they deserve. Jeeeez!

snarlydwarf
2007-10-05, 14:25
Thanks Jim. That;s what I have. Not sure of the origins of this kit at all then. Something not right.

@ Phil: I am not BLAMING the product. I have not criticised Logitech at all. Try reading the posts!

The point people had a problem with is when you said perhaps you should have gone with another product...

When, regardless of your experience with your -retailer-, you've been given exceptional service by Slim/Logitech and the UK distributor.

If you had phrased it is, "this thing pissed me off, perhaps I should have chosen a different vendor" no one would have a problem. Or perhaps, "despite all the hassle, it's nice to see Slim/Logitech and Progressive are troubled by this and on my side"...

I know it sucks and you're pissed off. Most people here agree you have a right to be angry at not getting what you paid for... but at least keep the blame in the right place.

Empgamer
2007-10-05, 14:32
It should be clear that I am not blaming Logitech at all, again, people need to read, rather than jump on their high horse. I shouldn't have to spell out the gratitude I have expressed to Logitech and others for the benefit of those who can't be asked to read but would rather start shouting and stamping up and down venting their spleen.

When someone has not been subject to such a sale it's perhaps very easy to remain 100% objective. At times there will be a natural feeling of, "would I have been better with x in the first place". Misplaced or not. It is not however a slur on a product or a company. The fact that the thought crossed my mind that there is an alternative streamer out there that i could also go for does not by deafult mean criticism of Logitech or the SB3. It would likely not have happened if I had bought an SB3 from another trader just as it would lkely not have happened had I bought an alternative player.

Some people however, go out of their way to take offence I find. When they do, some delight in spouting their venom at others. Thankfully, they bother me not in the least and treat such people and their comments with the contempt they deserve.

I am quite happy to contribute further to this thread, but not by way of responses to ill-mannered flame baters, which I shall ignore.

xio
2007-10-05, 16:14
"Some people however, go out of their way to take offence I find". Pot. Kettle.

Robin Bowes
2007-10-05, 17:26
xio wrote:
> "Some people however, go out of their way to take offence I find". Pot.
> Kettle.

Black!

R.

Robin Bowes
2007-10-05, 17:28
Empgamer wrote:

> @ Robin: Having had the experience I have with Datakits, I presume you
> feel I should be celebrating now that I have at last got a response? I
> shan't even waste my time addressing the rest of the dreck and will
> treat such banal comments with the contempt they deserve.

You can of course do what you want.

I was simply pointing out that shit happens, and one doesn't always have
get litigious to sort it out.

R.

Empgamer
2007-10-05, 21:49
@ Xio: I am of course eternally grateful for your inspired wisdom and comments which, short of their being any 5 year olds around to debate them with, I shall have to just dwell upon for ever more. Your contribution is most appreciated. Unfortunately the internet has more than its fair share of trolls making little contribution other than chiming into threads to indulge in a bit of self-gratifying juvenile name calling.

When people start to post such comments as:

"Jeez, some people think they're entitled to a free a***-wipe when they
buy a roll of toilet paper".

They will get an appropriate response. I will treat others as they treat me and those that chime in merely to 'sound off' should not expect not to get a harsh response. As someone pointed out in a pm to me 'didn't think it would take long for the grown ups to join in'. Indeed. Indeed.

oooooooooooooo

It's a little dissapointing that some have gone out of their way to take personal offence at the comments around alternative products. Clearly they adopt the view that people cannot express a personal opinion without derision. I once bought a car several years ago, brand new, yet within 6 months the floor-pan was filling with water. Got it sorted in the end. Never bought a car made by the same manufacturer since. Are the rest of their vehicles all dodgy, doubt it, is the manufacurer disreputable, probably not. Put me off them for life though. My experience, my choice.

Clearly there are those on the forum who are happy to contribute nothing of value but instead make a point of chipping in and offending people who have had the audacity to express a view which is not in keeping with their own. Ah well, I suppose you come across them in every walk of life, forums being no exception. From the comments some have posted I'm just eternally grateful I don't have to mix with them in person. Small mercy perhaps, but worth its weight in gold!!!!

Hudsonrilke
2007-10-06, 05:22
Empgamer, i for one think you've been clear from the start of this thread and don't understand why others are getting upset. Shame but this sort of thing can put many people off posting for assistance.

SixedUp
2007-10-06, 06:34
Interesting thread. I ordered a Squeezebox 3 from Datakits Ltd earlier this week, and when it turned up, it had a modular power supply, consisting of the main switch-mode power-supply along with a clip-on set of "prongs" to allow the power-supply to plug into a US power outlet. Datakits had also included a US to UK travel adaptor in the external packaging. So, I assume that they are buying these Squeezeboxes in the US and shipping them here, and taking advantage of the poor dollar-pound currency rates.

Personally I've no real issue with US kit as I often import stuff from the US myself - however, I suspect Logitech may be less happy with a company doing this on a commercial basis. In addition, I would have liked to have known this wasn't UK stock in advance - it wasn't made clear *anywhere* on Datakits website. Finally, although the US-style Logitech power supply is a universal voltage switch-mode design, it doesn't really fit very well into the travel adaptor Datakits supplied, and doesn't seem very secure, which raises some issues around safety for me.

Having now seen some of the comments on here about Datakits customer service my view is that I'll just contact Logitech on Monday and buy a set of "UK-prongs" for the power supply (or a new power-supply if I can't get just the "UK prongs" on their own).

For anyone who is interested, mine is all Logitech branded (player and packaging), the player and remote appear to be the latest design, and it came in a black box, with plastic protector film on the unit. No signs of it having been opened, resealed, or tampered with in any way. P/N is 830-000012, with a MAC address of 00:04:20:12:0D:3B. And it works beautifully :)

Cheers
Richard

Empgamer
2007-10-06, 08:03
Hudsonr: Comments much appreciated.

Sixedup: Like you I like to know what I'm buying. My SB3 and remote MAY be OK. Given the issue with the power supply I have been provided, the state of it, the lack of the other components and the Slim devices boxing for a Logitech product has resulted in me losing confidence in the supplier and not being prepared to take a risk that the rest is OK. Given my experience I'd rather just get my money back and go to a dealer supplied by Progressive.

SB3 now ordered from elsewhere.

Ben Sandee
2007-10-06, 17:01
On 10/6/07, Hudsonrilke <
Hudsonrilke.2y17jn1191673501 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> Empgamer, i for one think you've been clear from the start of this
> thread and don't understand why others are getting upset. Shame but
> this sort of thing can put many people off posting for assistance.

I'll tell you why: it's because while originally he had the backing and
support of everyone in the discussion, it turns out that he is a pretty
obnoxious fellow based on his subsequent posts. He is the sort of customer
that make me glad I don't run a business.

Empgamer
2007-10-06, 17:24
On 10/6/07, Hudsonrilke <
Hudsonrilke.2y17jn1191673501 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:[color=blue]

I'll tell you why: it's because while originally he had the backing and
support of everyone in the discussion, it turns out that he is a pretty
obnoxious fellow based on his subsequent posts. He is the sort of customer
that make me glad I don't run a business.

Your insight and willingness to make unfounded and highly subjective allegations makes ME glad you don't either!!!

Strange how some people consider that people rebutting unwarranted comments = obnoxious. "Jeez, some people think they're entitled to a free a***-wipe when they buy a roll of toilet paper". And I'm the one that's obnoxious??? Fact is, some people love to pipe up and spout off either beacuse something has been said that they go out of their way to be offended by or because that is just what they're like. Some also then seem to adopt the view that the victim of their comments has to just sit back and take it. Neither like it when it gets challenged. Then their chums join in. Life.

Another view of the situation. I had the support of all on this thread UNTIL I had the audactity to suggest that I might consider a different product altogether (which I haven't I hasten to add) then THREE people come steaming in and start throwing their weight around and because I a) take exception to it and b) respond to them accordingly, I get labelled as obnoxious????? Go figure. Oh, and see post by Xio!!!

I rest my case and really can't be asked to post further to the thread in contest to any futher childish outbursts.

trecital
2007-10-07, 09:09
Well empgamer, I support you 100% in the actions you have taken, and in your replies to those who have criticised you here.

It's one thing to have bought faulty goods. Not necessarily the retailers fault. But then, when they fail to respond promptly to resolve the problem, I think anyone is justified in losing confidence and exercising their legal rights. It's people who fail to take action when 'abused' by retailers that makes it more difficult for everyone else.

And then to be criticised by others for exercising your rights!!!

I suspect that your 'error' was in mentioning another brand of media player. Some people here seem to think this forum is a Slim Devices fan club. It's not. And Slim Devices/Logitech (and the majority of forum users, I feel)seem to realise it's not, thankfully. It's pleasing to see that Slim/Logitech were attentive to your problem and did try to help, even though the retailer should have been the one responding promptly.

I would like to add that I am a happy Squeezebox 3 owner, and hope to add a Transporter in the not too distant future.

Thank you empgamer (and Sixedup) for bringing to the attention of other potential customers the problems you have experienced with this retailer.

msherman
2007-10-07, 14:42
trecital wrote:
>
> It's one thing to have bought faulty goods. Not necessarily the
> retailers fault. But then, when they fail to respond promptly to
> resolve the problem, I think anyone is justified in losing confidence
> and exercising their legal rights. It's people who fail to take action
> when 'abused' by retailers that makes it more difficult for everyone
> else.

Don't you think that the OP should take any blame here at all for the
situation he got himself into? Even the most cursory of google research
into datakits' reputation should have warned him off of the purchase
ahead of time. It's not like he's the first person to ever have trouble
with them.

- Marc

trecital
2007-10-07, 15:48
No, I don't think he should take any "blame". Why should a genuine customer who has done nothing wrong be blamed?
Perhaps he could have done more checks. Easy to say after the event. But he can not be held to be at fault. If he'd bought the item from 'a guy down the pub' or some other risky situation, then he would not be justified in complaining. He would be buying knowing he had no rights if anything went wrong. In that situation it's definitely 'buyer beware'.
From a legal point of view empgamer is completely blameless. From a moral or common sense point of view perhaps he could have done more checking before parting with his money. Perhaps he might now also agree with that perspective. But that's always easy to say in hindsight. I certainly feel that he has done nothing that deserves the rude and self righteous comments from a few people here.
He's done the right thing, and has now alerted others to possible risks from this retailer.

Empgamer
2007-10-08, 00:52
Thanks for your comments tercital.

I'd have to say that I regretably ordered from DataKits having seen their name mentioned in other forums discussing this and other kinds of electronics, fairly recently too. I was also recomended them by a pm from another user. He now knows the problems I have had and I doubt he'll be recommending them to others. Ordinarily I do check out companies quite extensively, the circs here, meant that slipped under the radar. Still not quite sure how that should result in me being expected to take 'blame' though. Sellers are required to abide by relevant governing legislation, pure and simple.

I ordered brand new goods from a company that makes no reference to them on their very bold website about them being anything else (I have taken a screen dump of course) or indeed anything that indicates that they are not what I would think of as UK agent supplied (warranty issues - not sure here). While mistakes do happen companies will often do all they can as quickly as they can to resolve them. It is what I've found since doing some research on DataKits customer service and Pricerunner, since receiving the goods last week, that concerns me somewhat here, notwithstanding the post from Datakits on this forum. While mistakes do happen it does seem rather more odd to me that I have a unit here with a used/damaged power supply, with missing components, and in the wrong packaging. That it is suggested by Logitech that I have a re-boxed unit concerns me more here than a company that has merely supplied something which, through no fault of their own, has been supplied to them damaged or got damaged in transit or whatever.

datakits
2007-10-08, 01:11
I am very sorry for any inconvenience that you have been caused. I am sorry i canít think of any more that i can do to help. I have apologised for the item that you have received. I have checked all the stock we have in stock and all is 100% new. If you have received a unit with a used power supply I am very sorry indeed. We are collecting the unit from you as i have said in my emails but it seem you still wish to continue commenting in this thread which seems a little unfair. It was never our intention to send you a used power supply. As you have said the unit it was new so I can only assume it was a packed back after it was replaced by our supplier after an RMA.

I would also like to point out that i offered to collect and replace that unit for you and refund you the full postage you paid therefore offering the unit at a heavily reduced cost as a good will gesture but you have declined my offer. Again I have tried my best to put this genuine mistake right. We will refund you in Full as soon as the item has been collected and hope top put this matter to bed.

Id also like to hear form anyone who has bought a SQ3 from us in the past week and hear of their experiences of our company Datakits. I donít want to upset anyone here but I feel after all that has been said about this situation it is only fair that we have a balanced view because we are not selling used or reconditioned Squeezeboxes and this suggestion is very frustrating.

Empgamer
2007-10-08, 01:26
The only reason I have kept commenting here is because of the rude and self-righteous comments that have been referred to, outlining the facts for the benefit of those who seem to have missed them. You outlined what to you is a generous offer here and I have responded. I did consider your offer of a replacement but it's a case of once bitten, twice shy I'm afraid, the comments from Logitech and Progressive have also influenced me heavily there:

"No Logitech-branded Squeezeboxes should be packed in Slim Devices outerboxes, period".

"Lee from ProgressiveAV here (we're Logitech's UK distributors for Squeezebox and Transporter). The answer to this question is *key*. To date we have not supplied Datakits with any product and if the unit in question is Slim Devices branded it is certainly aged stock, probably sourced in the US, and warranty processing will be handled via Datakits".

I am not sure WHAT I have been sold. It is now 12:10 (some 3 hours after you posted to this thread) and I am STILL awaiting a PERSONAL e-mail (you also have my telephone number) directly from you confirming your arrangements to collect the goods and refund fully, inc the P&P, which, despite having responded to you on Friday as you asked, I have not as yet received. I would have thought that this was at least AS important a line of communication in respect of this matter? I only post this here, by way of balance, as you have again re-iterated your offers on this thread.

My final word on this is that I would have preferred processes being put in place that prevented me being sent the goods I received in the first place, making your gesture of heavily reduced costs with free P&P not necessary in the first place. Perhaps they should be now, or a time to review suppliers. Our view of fairness is doubtless going to differ.

Ian_F
2007-10-08, 03:17
Id also like to hear form anyone who has bought a SQ3 from us in the past week and hear of their experiences of our company Datakits. I donít want to upset anyone here but I feel after all that has been said about this situation it is only fair that we have a balanced view because we are not selling used or reconditioned Squeezeboxes and this suggestion is very frustrating.

Please, let's not turn this thread into a "Ain't Datakits great" or "Ain't Datakits awful" thread. I think people here are perfectly capable of using their favourite search engine to gather suitable information to enable them to form a balanced view of your company. Infact before this thread started I'd never heard of Datakits. After a bit of googling I now know an awful lot about them.

Mike, I'm puzzled as to why you feel so compelled to try and convince everyone here that Datakits is such a great company. Your Companies actions before Empgamer started this thread tell us all we need to know.

Furthermore if Empgamer or anyone else here for that matter has said anything libellous against Datakits then sue. The law's there, use it!

datakits
2007-10-08, 04:37
Its not that I trying to convince anyone. I just dont like to have datakits threatened with all actions under the sun for a simple mistake that we are resolving at our cost.

I know how many happy Squeezebox customers there are out there that shopped with datakits.

Whatever this customer has received has been the result of a genuine mistake for which we have apologised and resolved at no cost to the customer.

I hope this matter can be put to reset now. Again if any of our customers need help with any sals or technical queries we are here to help.

Empgamer
2007-10-08, 05:29
Its not that I trying to convince anyone. I just dont like to have datakits threatened with all actions under the sun for a simple mistake that we are resolving at our cost.

I know how many happy Squeezebox customers there are out there that shopped with datakits.

Whatever this customer has received has been the result of a genuine mistake for which we have apologised and resolved at no cost to the customer.

I hope this matter can be put to reset now. Again if any of our customers need help with any sals or technical queries we are here to help.

All actions under the sun equals:

1) Claim through credit card company if I had not got a response from yourselves.

2) Report matter to Trading Standards

Reasonable I would have thought.

I hope it can be put to rest quickly too. As soon as I receive the refund it will be.

datakits
2007-10-08, 05:55
This is getting silly now. i email you and you post your reply on this forum. can you please just confirm the address of the collection in reply to my email and i will have the item collected. Thanks

Empgamer
2007-10-08, 06:22
This is getting silly now. i email you and you post your reply on this forum. can you please just confirm the address of the collection in reply to my email and i will have the item collected. Thanks

What are you on about? The quote above in my thread (post 52) is YOUR post on THIS thread in response to comments posted by Ian_F! Indeed I've only responded to this, to clarify that. At the time of the original post I had received no e-mail to reply to here if I wanted to??? In fairness, the ONLY times I have indicated what the broad content of my replies to your e-mails are (e.g. refund pse) is when you have gone to the lengths of outlining the offers that you are making to resolve the issue. You will note that initially I declined to make any comment regarding the content of correspondence between us.

Now I have received a reply to my mails, and we seem to have a line of comms open, I think we should stick to that.

Don Hanson
2007-10-08, 07:27
Can anyone tell me which of the Logitech remotes work with Slimbox 3's?

Don Hanson

mvalera
2007-10-08, 12:53
If you're referring to the Harmony remotes... any of them will work.

Cheers,

Mike

Seineseeker
2007-10-09, 03:57
I was pleased to see Lee from ProgressiveAV get involved. Pity he didn't when the hard disk failed on my QNAP last year and despite many emails and eventually a promise of a return I had to buy a replacement HDD myself (6 weeks without it was long enough).

I think the majority of us the consumer are honest people (unlike many of the companies we have to deal with), and I see no wrong in Empgamer at all. If I had been so aggressive perhaps I would have got somewhere. So good on you endgamer.

Once you get your money back Empgamer order another Squeezebox, perhaps from Ripcaster. It is a fantastic product you won't be disappointed.

Empgamer
2007-10-09, 06:54
It should be getting delivered today :-)